Re: [Z_Scale] 2008/09 catalog shows much smaller selection

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:34:07 -0800
      "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

      > At 12:48 AM +0000 12/1/08, ckreling wrote:
      > >Has anyone noticed that the recent catalog shows a much small
      > >selection of Z. I was surprised so I checked against the last 07/08
      > >catalog and quite the reduction.
      > >
      > >Is Z being phased out by Marklin.
      >
      > Considering how much Z Scale items cost, it could also be a reaction
      > to the current state of the global economy.

      Marklin got bought out by Knightbridge Capital as it was deep in debt.
      Presumably the purse strings are still very tight. At the time there were
      a lot of questions about what would happen to Z (and indeed to their
      other ranges)
    • Danny Goodman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ckreling" <ckreling@...> wrote:

        > Is Z being phased out by Marklin.

        While business decisions can turn on a dime in an uncertain economy,
        whenever I see Marklin putting money into new Z tooling or
        engineering, I'm encouraged. The 2009 Insider diesel locomotive claims
        "completely new construction," which can be interpreted a couple of
        ways (new shell tooling or new chassis design). When they cease
        innovating and just put new lipstick on old pigs (and I don't mean the
        lucky pig loco), that's the time to be concerned. We'll be watching
        the "tea leaves" in the rest of new 2009 items to be revealed in a few
        months.

        Danny
        http://dannyg.com
        http://spamwars.com