Re: Help Please

  • Todd Shoffeitt
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
      Graham,

      I am going through the same problems with uncouplers now as I am
      building my layout. I bought four sets of the Micro-Trains 921
      magnet uncouplers and they are junk, not enough magnetism to move the
      couplers. I'm trying to revive them, but not having much luck.

      I am trying something else, using neodyme slot car magnets, small bar
      magnets, on either side of the track. My one installation using
      these in my yard has worked pretty well. I have a picture of them in
      Z Central Station. I'm going to try these on a couple of sidings to
      see how they do, and I'll let you know. Micro-Trains or Kadee,
      whoever, does make an electromagnetic uncoupler for N scale. It is
      quite large, and you would have to have a big hole under your track
      to install it, but a couple of people have tried them with some
      modifications and they have worked.

      Todd
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      >
      > Thanks for the comments but the reason for wanting electric
      uncouplers is on the new layout I have a three road single ended coal
      yard and I will be shunting 18-20 coal wagons in and out and if the
      couplings are static it can be a real pain coupling up and drawing
      the train back out
      > over them
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Graham