Breitefurt; my first layout in many years

  • skye.chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2008
      Hello. I have just joined this group and am feeling my way as I am not
      familiar with Yahoo Groups.

      I first came across Z scale on 19th September last year and fell in
      love with the 'wee trains'. Since then I have build up a collection of
      sets and individual items including Marklin, Railex, HEM, Schmidt, etc.

      In July I started working on putting track on to my 180cm x 61cm (6'
      x2') baseboard and was honoured to be asked to exhibit then results of
      my work at an exhibition in Inverness (Scotland).

      My layout is names Breitefurt (Broadford - a village near where I
      live) and represents a station on the edge of a fictional provincial
      town. As a new user I know I cannot post pictures here yet but you can
      see the layout on my website at
      trains.manvell.org.uk/z-scale/layout/index.htm. It shows just how much
      once can include in a small space with Z scale!

      Well, that's it for now. To those who inhabit certain other forums, my
      apologies for repeating myself.

      With best wishes,
      Chris.
    • Matthew Parker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
        Greetings Chris:

        I too am new to Z-scale trains and I am very slowly getting into it. I've been in the group for a couple of months now and I can tell you with a high degree of ceretainty, I have learned a lot from the fine people here. Their knowledge and expertise in many fields is amazing. I am slowly putting together booklet of info that will stand me in good stead as I embark on building my empire. I am an ho and n scale train man for years, but decided to try z scale because of the many things you can do with it on much smaller spaces. The sad thing about it is there isn't as much variety of items as there is in the other scales, but I suppose in time this will change. In any case, I'm finding it very interesting.

        So welcome and happy railroading. By the way, I'm in Alberta Canada. Specifically Calgary. Home of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

        Cheers

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: cmanvell@...: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:46:25 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Breitefurt; my first layout in many years

[...]

      • Chris Manvell
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
          Hi Matthew.

          2008/11/29 Matthew Parker <echo31a@...>:
          > I too am new to Z-scale trains and I am very slowly getting into it. I've
          > been in the group for a couple of months now and I can tell you with a high
          > degree of certainty, I have learned a lot from the fine people here. Their
          > knowledge and expertise in many fields is amazing. I am slowly putting
          > together booklet of info that will stand me in good stead as I embark on
          > building my empire. I am an ho and n scale train man for years,

          I too am into N scale with a large stock of trains but no layout yet.
          In some senses, my Z scale railway is a live test bed for my track
          layout designs which I intend to apply to my future N scale layout.

          > but decided
          > to try z scale because of the many things you can do with it on much smaller
          > spaces.

          The main problem, from my pov, with Z is that I cannot run really long
          trains as the locos do not have tyres to aid with adhesion.. With
          195mm rad curves six coaches are the practical limit.

          > The sad thing about it is there isn't as much variety of items as
          > there is in the other scales, but I suppose in time this will change. In any
          > case, I'm finding it very interesting.

          I haven't had any time to start exploring the list. I tend to prefer
          the more formal structure of forums so compromise by going for a daily
          summary rahter than following the individual posts as they occur.

          Marklin's approach is to use standard chassis and put different bodies
          on them. This gives a good variety at minimal cost. In teh case of the
          1'D1' wheel arrangement it even seems to apply to both the tender and
          tank locos. The variety of pacific (2'C1') locos is massive! I have
          eight different pacific classes (BR 01.0-2, 03.0-2, 03.10, 10, 18.1,
          18.4-5 as well as KBay S3/6, and KWStE Class C) with several different
          formats in some of them (e.g. 5 different BR 03.10's).

          > So welcome and happy railroading.

          Thank you. I hope that eventually I will be able to feedback into the
          list rather than being just a taker.

          > By the way, I'm in Alberta Canada.
          > Specifically Calgary. Home of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

          Was that one with Eddie the Eagle? What a guy, eh?

          All the best,
          Chris.

          --
          Chris Manvell
          E: chris@..., T: 01471 822317, M: 078151 89991
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
            Dear Chris,

            Congratulations on a wonderful and informative web site. It will be
            one of my favorites. Your collection is very amazing consdering you
            only started collecting 14 months ago.

            All Z best, Pierre

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "skye.chris" <cmanvell@...> wrote:

            > Hello. I have just joined this group and am feeling my way as I am
            not
            > familiar with Yahoo Groups.
            >
            > I first came across Z scale on 19th September last year and fell in
            > love with the 'wee trains'. Since then I have build up a collection
            of
            > sets and individual items including Marklin, Railex, HEM, Schmidt,
            etc.

            > In July I started working on putting track on to my 180cm x 61cm (6'
            > x2') baseboard and was honoured to be asked to exhibit then results
            of
            > my work at an exhibition in Inverness (Scotland).
            >
            > My layout is names Breitefurt (Broadford - a village near where I
            > live) and represents a station on the edge of a fictional provincial
            > town. As a new user I know I cannot post pictures here yet but you
            can
            > see the layout on my website at
            > trains.manvell.org.uk/z-scale/layout/index.htm. It shows just how
            much
            > once can include in a small space with Z scale!
            >
            > Well, that's it for now. To those who inhabit certain other forums,
            my
            > apologies for repeating myself.
            >
            > With best wishes,
            > Chris.

          • Chris Manvell
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
              Hi Pierre.

              2008/11/29 Pierre Vautravers <pifreva@...>:
              > Congratulations on a wonderful and informative web site. It will be
              > one of my favorites. Your collection is very amazing consdering you
              > only started collecting 14 months ago.

              Thank you for your comments.

              Yes, it is a lot. Too much really. I shall be selling some of it off
              when the time is right as I have decided to abandon the 'modern stuff'
              (e.g. long coaches, some wagons and a couple of coaches). Different
              story with N scale as there I plan a modern railway with a heritage
              railway branch.

              All the best,
              Chris.