Is a 4% grade workable?

  • David Phillips
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
      Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z scale? I've come up with a
      layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland Scenics). Would that
      percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive? It's no big deal if it's too much,
      I'll just try 2 or 3%.

      Thanks.
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
        Dave,

        4 is my favorite number, but everyone will tell you that 4 is a bad number
        when it comes to grade percentages.

        Try to stay with 2% at the most.

        In real life it takes 7 Geeps to pull 20 fully loaded boxcars up the 3.7%
        grade here in the Siskiyou's of Southern Oregon.

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
          That's getting pretty steep. I hear it will work, but most of the Z
          folks are in the 2% range for general modeling. If you have a logging
          camp and only a couple of cars 4% --MAY-- work, although I'd try a
          test first. Curves of course add to the IMPLIED percentage, i.e. a 4%
          straight might be equivalent to a 3% curve since there is more drag on
          the wheel sides on curves.

          ...don

          .

          .--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Phillips" <iplayfhorn@...> wrote:

          > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z scale?
          I've come up with a
          > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland
          Scenics). Would that
          > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive? It's no
          big deal if it's too much,
          > I'll just try 2 or 3%.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
            On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:19:36 -0000
            "David Phillips" <iplayfhorn@...> wrote:

            > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z scale? I've come up with a
            > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland Scenics). Would that
            > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive? It's no big deal if it's too much,
            > I'll just try 2 or 3%.

            Depends on the rolling stock. If you plan to run long trains I would go
            for 2-3% instead especially if the grade is curved.

            Alan
          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
              On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:30:32 -0000
              "Don A" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

              > That's getting pretty steep. I hear it will work, but most of the Z
              > folks are in the 2% range for general modeling. If you have a logging
              > camp and only a couple of cars 4% --MAY-- work

              With a couple of cars you can go beyond 4%. The mountain microlayout I
              did got by with about 8-10% grades and a single loco pushing one or two
              beer wagons up the mountain (the excuse for the model being to deliver
              beer and passengers to a mountain top hotel ;))

              I wouldn't recommend going beyond 4% though, and the mountain layout now
              gone was a bit touchy. Some day it'll get rebuilt in N simply because I
              can then get rack and pinion track.

              Alan
            • David K. Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                Alan--

                4% is OK assuming you're running short trains (<10 cars). I've got
                4% grades on ~6-inch curves and have no problems with one loco and 5-
                6 cars. It would not be suitable for longer trains.

                --David

                http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                http://jamesriverbranch.net/

                > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:19:36 -0000
                > "David Phillips" <iplayfhorn@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z
                scale? I've come up with a
                > > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland
                Scenics). Would that
                > > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive?
                It's no big deal if it's too much,
                > > I'll just try 2 or 3%.
                >
                > Depends on the rolling stock. If you plan to run long trains I
                would go
                > for 2-3% instead especially if the grade is curved.
                >
                > Alan

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                  Myself I'm complying with 3% grades and 14" radius curves on the layout I'm workin' on. With 2 AZL SD70s I've no problem to move a 16-car train (5 brass 3-bay hoppers from FR, pretty heavy, and 11 lighter MTL 50' boxcars). With MTL Geeps it's more difficult to move the same train as the locos' wheels are spinning on the grades. Not exactly a stall, but wheels spinning. For the same train 3 Geeps are better.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Dom

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:

                  > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:19:36 -0000
                  > "David Phillips" <iplayfhorn@ ...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z
                  scale? I've come up with a
                  > > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland
                  Scenics). Would that
                  > > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive?
                  It's no big deal if it's too much,
                  > > I'll just try 2 or 3%.
                  >
                  > Depends on the rolling stock. If you plan to run long trains I
                  would go
                  > for 2-3% instead especially if the grade is curved.
                  >
                  > Alan

                • David Phillips
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                    Thanks for all the replies. The main/only reason I was looking at 4% is that I have some 1"
                    risers left over from an N scale project I did a while back. I would have had to buy more stuff
                    anyway. 2 or 3% will work just fine (I'll just raise the track and make the grade go from there).
                    I think I have amassed 12-14 cars, with a MTL F7 loco. Heck, my layout would even work
                    flat, but I want to add some contour to it. All of this discussion has put my imagination into
                    overdrive; I'll put up some pics as I go and when I'm done. Any and all advice is very much
                    appreciated.

                    Thanks again.
                  • Matthew Parker
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                      I've been asking that same question and gotten pretty much the same response. I wonder though if 4 % will work over an z-scale mile and a half with 3 GP's pulling and two pushing like what I indtend on my layout. I'm modeling my layout after a very famous piece of Canadian landscape and the 4 % is from top to bottom, with very slight curves hugging the mountain and a 90 Degree turn at the bottom onto a relatively flat area. I haven't experimented yet, but I anticipating hauling a minimum of 40 to 50 cars of various sizes and descriptions.

                      I also wonder if it is doable with traction pads on the loco's wheels as in HO and N. I don't know if they make them that small, and no one yet has even answered that question.

                      I guess it all comes down to experimentation. Build your grade, and then try it with however many loco's you want to run together, then start adding cars until your engines can't climb the grade without labouring or slipping. I'm ralatively new at Z-scale having just got my first engine, and cars so I seeking all kinds of advice.

                      Hope this helps a bit.

                      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: iplayfhorn@...: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:19:36 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Is a 4% grade workable?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                        AZL has traction tires on their GP7. Don't know if they have them on
                        any of their other locos. Micro-Trains GP9 has no traction tires. There
                        is a comparison on the performance specs of the two locos here:

                        http://jamesriverbranch.net/review_1.htm#PERFORMANCE

                        Regards,
                        David

                        http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                        http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Parker <echo31a@...> wrote:

                        > I also wonder if it is doable with traction pads on the loco's wheels
                        as in HO and N. I don't know if they make them that small, and no one
                        yet has even answered that question.

                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                          Hi Dave,
                          One the nicest little Euro layouts I've seen was in New Braunfels.
                          It had a 4 to 5 percent grades and ran two locomotives along
                          these grades. He used the tiny little DB switcher and pulled
                          5 euro freight cars and the other was DB mogul that pulled
                          3 little passenger cars. Nice. Never stalled.

                          RegardZ,
                          Reynard
                          On Nov 10, 2008, at 10:19 AM, David Phillips wrote:

                          > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z
                          > scale? I've come up with a
                          > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland
                          > Scenics). Would that
                          > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive? It's no
                          > big deal if it's too much,
                          > I'll just try 2 or 3%.
                          >
                          > Thanks.

                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                            The MTL F7 loco pulls like a mule, and I shouldn't be surprised if it was able to swallow a 4% grade, even with tight curves and 12-14 cars in pull. But expect lower tractive effort and eventually stalls with other brand of motive power, unless maybe with an AZL C44-9. Or you'll have to MU' your motive power.

                            And if you plan to run longer trains you may have some coupler problems on such grades.

                            That's the reason why a recommended general practice in modelrailroading is not going beyond 2% grades (even if with 3% grades, broad curves a short trains - less than 20 cars - it still works fine).

                            Dom

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                              >I also wonder if it is doable with traction pads on the loco's wheels as >in HO and N. I don't know if they make them that small, and no one yet >has even answered that question.

                              Do you mean "traction tires"? AZL uses them for its plastic shell equiped motive power, the SD70s end the GP7s. Each of them has an axle whose wheels are traction tire equiped. I'm not too fond of this because traction tires mostly act as an insulator. It's not a problem on the SD70 as you've still 5 axles to pick up power, but a friend of mine is using a single AZL GP7 and it appears this overall excellent loco is more sensitive to track condition than MTL Geeps for example, because the AZL is mostly like if it had only 3 axles to pick up power.

                              So myself I prefer relying on MU operations, and if I had to run long trains with a single unit, I should plan to add weight (if possible) instead of adding traction tires.

                              Dom
                            • Todd Shoffeitt
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                                Here's what I know from my own testing.

                                An MT F7 will pull a 25 car mixed consist of box, flat and hopper
                                cars up a 2% grade through a 12 inch curve, the '30 series marklin
                                curves, with just a little effort. More recently on my own under
                                construction layout, an MT F7 is pulling 13 cars with no trouble at
                                all up 2% grade through 21" curves.

                                Here's an interesting thing. An MT GP9 will pull the same 13 cars up
                                the same curved grade, but it won't push the same cars up the same
                                grade. The physics seem odd with that.

                                Todd

                                > Hi Dave,
                                > One the nicest little Euro layouts I've seen was in New Braunfels.
                                > It had a 4 to 5 percent grades and ran two locomotives along
                                > these grades. He used the tiny little DB switcher and pulled
                                > 5 euro freight cars and the other was DB mogul that pulled
                                > 3 little passenger cars. Nice. Never stalled.
                                >
                                > RegardZ,
                                > Reynard
                                > On Nov 10, 2008, at 10:19 AM, David Phillips wrote:
                                >
                                > > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z
                                > > scale? I've come up with a
                                > > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland
                                > > Scenics). Would that
                                > > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive? It's
                                no
                                > > big deal if it's too much,
                                > > I'll just try 2 or 3%.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks.

                              • Matthew Parker
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                                  Interesting. Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind.

                                  To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ddechamp71@...: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:35:06 +0000Subject: RE: [Z_Scale] Is a 4% grade workable?

                                  >I also wonder if it is doable with traction pads on the loco's wheels as >in HO and N. I don't know if they make them that small, and no one yet >has even answered that question.Do you mean "traction tires"? AZL uses them for its plastic shell equiped motive power, the SD70s end the GP7s. Each of them has an axle whose wheels are traction tire equiped. I'm not too fond of this because traction tires mostly act as an insulator. It's not a problem on the SD70 as you've still 5 axles to pick up power, but a friend of mine is using a single AZL GP7 and it appears this overall excellent loco is more sensitive to track condition than MTL Geeps for example, because the AZL is mostly like if it had only 3 axles to pick up power.So myself I prefer relying on MU operations, and if I had to run long trains with a single unit, I should plan to add weight (if possible) instead of adding traction tires.Dom

                                • Matthew Parker
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                                    Thanks again.

                                    To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ddechamp71@...: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:18:48 +0000Subject: Re : [Z_Scale] Re: Is a 4% grade workable?

                                    The MTL F7 loco pulls like a mule, and I shouldn't be surprised if it was able to swallow a 4% grade, even with tight curves and 12-14 cars in pull. But expect lower tractive effort and eventually stalls with other brand of motive power, unless maybe with an AZL C44-9. Or you'll have to MU' your motive power. And if you plan to run longer trains you may have some coupler problems on such grades. That's the reason why a recommended general practice in modelrailroading is not going beyond 2% grades (even if with 3% grades, broad curves a short trains - less than 20 cars - it still works fine). Dom--- En date de : Lun 10.11.08, David Phillips <iplayfhorn@...> a écrit :De: David Phillips <iplayfhorn@...>Objet: [Z_Scale] Re: Is a 4% grade workable?À: z_scale@yahoogroups.comDate: Lundi 10 Novembre 2008, 23h54Thanks for all the replies. The main/only reason I was looking at 4% is that I have some 1" risers left over from an N scale project I did a while back. I would have had to buy more stuff anyway. 2 or 3% will work just fine (I'll just raise the track and make the grade go from there). I think I have amassed 12-14 cars, with a MTL F7 loco. Heck, my layout would even work flat, but I want to add some contour to it. All of this discussion has put my imagination into overdrive; I'll put up some pics as I go and when I'm done. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.Thanks again.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                  • Jens Wimmel
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 11, 2008
                                      David,

                                      yes - if the locos you use are heavy or use traction tires, or you have
                                      short trains.
                                      Otherwise better 3 or 2 %. Basicly I would recommend 2 or 3 %...

                                      Pictures with trains that use traction tires on the locos are here:
                                      http://www.zettzeit.ch/Julierbahn.html
                                      Please try Google to translate...

                                      The grade in the helixes is 4% or a little more. I have no problems with
                                      running the trains over hours and days. For example freight with 20 cars
                                      or a pushed passenger train with pilot and 7 cars.

                                      Jens

                                      David Phillips schrieb:
                                      > Pardon the dumb question, but Is a 4% grade okay to use for Z scale? I've come up with a
                                      > layout idea I want to try, and I have some 1" risers (Woodland Scenics). Would that
                                      > percentage of incline be too much for a Z scale locomotive? It's no big deal if it's too much,
                                      > I'll just try 2 or 3%.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.

                                    • Reynard Wellman
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 11, 2008
                                        Hello Dominique,

                                        I do agree with what you have observed about "traction
                                        tires". Here is my take on this peculiar approach to
                                        the traction problem:

                                        Traction tires are acceptable on diesels even though there
                                        is some loss of electrical contact with this option. However,
                                        I would strongly advise avoiding them on steam engines.
                                        The soft polymer that traction tires are made from
                                        does wear out and will need to be replaced eventually.
                                        It is a fairly easy job to replace the tires on a diesel.
                                        It is a major project to replace them on a steam engine
                                        because of the driver rods. One has to disassemble the
                                        entire steam chassis to install them, then once replaced,
                                        reassemble and quarter the wheels which can be
                                        a nightmare of trial and error until proper quartering
                                        is achieved.

                                        So far, I have not seen traction tires on Z scale steam
                                        engines but I have had a lot of disappointing experience
                                        with them on N scale steam engines, to the extent that
                                        I have had to sell off any N scale steam engine that
                                        had them. And they just don't work that well; wear
                                        out fast; hard to replace; sometimes impossible to find
                                        replacements; do not add that much "traction"; decrease
                                        reliable running due to loss of electrical contact surfaces.

                                        So it all depends on the era and the type of engines one
                                        is running. d'accord?

                                        Best regardZ,
                                        Reynard

                                        On Nov 10, 2008, at 7:35 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                                        > >I also wonder if it is doable with traction pads on the loco's
                                        > wheels as >in HO and N. I don't know if they make them that small,
                                        > and no one yet >has even answered that question.
                                        >
                                        > Do you mean "traction tires"? AZL uses them for its plastic shell
                                        > equiped motive power, the SD70s end the GP7s. Each of them has an
                                        > axle whose wheels are traction tire equiped. I'm not too fond of
                                        > this because traction tires mostly act as an insulator. It's not a
                                        > problem on the SD70 as you've still 5 axles to pick up power, but a
                                        > friend of mine is using a single AZL GP7 and it appears this
                                        > overall excellent loco is more sensitive to track condition than
                                        > MTL Geeps for example, because the AZL is mostly like if it had
                                        > only 3 axles to pick up power.
                                        >
                                        > So myself I prefer relying on MU operations, and if I had to run
                                        > long trains with a single unit, I should plan to add weight (if
                                        > possible) instead of adding traction tires.
                                        >
                                        > Dom

                                      • Garth Hamilton
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 11, 2008
                                          In n-scale if the side rods are configured correctly it is quite easy
                                          the change traction tires as frequently the wheel with the traction
                                          tire is not connected to the side rods. It is something for our
                                          Z-scale manufacturers to consider. Rather than build engines like
                                          Marklin, where the inside drivers are lifted off of the rail, place
                                          all wheels at the same level and then attach the side rod at the
                                          front or rear wheel and at the king pin crank. That leaves one driver
                                          at the rear or front at least where you can change a traction tire
                                          without removing an axle or a side rod. On a four coupled it leaves
                                          two drivers that can have traction tires that are not connected to
                                          the side rods.

                                          cheers
                                          Garth

                                          At 08:34 AM 11/11/2008, "Reynard Wellman" micron@... wrote:
                                          >Traction tires are acceptable on diesels even though there
                                          >is some loss of electrical contact with this option. However,
                                          >I would strongly advise avoiding them on steam engines.
                                          >The soft polymer that traction tires are made from
                                          >does wear out and will need to be replaced eventually.
                                          >It is a fairly easy job to replace the tires on a diesel.
                                          >It is a major project to replace them on a steam engine
                                          >because of the driver rods. One has to disassemble the
                                          >entire steam chassis to install them, then once replaced,
                                          >reassemble and quarter the wheels which can be
                                          >a nightmare of trial and error until proper quartering
                                          >is achieved.
                                        • David Phillips
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 12, 2008
                                            Thanks. I went with 2%, mainly because the store didn't have any 3/4" foam sheets. I haven't
                                            run a train on it yet, but it looks like it will work fine.