Re: Re : [Z_Scale] So you want Z recognition do you? Well, here is our opportunity.

  • Jack Chase
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
      OK, so it's recognition that we want--right?
      This past weekend was the annual train show in Salt Lake City.  Our Z Club--Wasatch Z was there with our modules--mostly completed (Tony Brucia's) and works in progress (mine).  We walked away from the show with people's choice awards for first, second & third places for Tony's modules!!  We also ran our trains flawlessly for 2 very full days!!  & guess what?  We got very few of the "you must need a micro scope to work on that stufrf remarks!!
      Not a bad accomplishment, I think!  Go Z
      Jack Chase
      PS:  I'll post a few photos later.

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
        Jack,

        That is a slam dunk for sure and you and Tony are very much appreciated for
        your fine showing.

        One catch though, you must somehow submit an article and GOOD photos to some
        of these magazines. No guarantee they will use your material, but if you do
        submit, let the Z community know, and we will all be able to document to any
        publishing nay sayers that say "nothing is being submitted" that is isn't
        true.

        Thought for all concerned.......perhaps at each show you attend, you think
        seriously about some picture composition possibilities and make the effort
        to take high resolution photos of the best workmanship. And then write up
        something and send it off.

        This is a group effort of sorts.

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
          In fact, Loren, I did take (with my wife's assistance) several fairly hi res photos that I plan to send to Model Railroader for inclusion in the "Trackside Photos" section.  I believe that Tony is already working on an article on some aspect of Z.
          Regards----Jack

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
            When Andy Sperandeo, Model RR Editor in Chief talked with Dave George,
            Garth hamilton and myself at the Detroit NMRA/NTS in 2007, Andy
            emphasized he prefers photo shots from low to the ground -- the way
            real people see real trains. Andy does not think "helicopter" views
            are anywhere near as good. FWIW.

            ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

            > Jack,
            >
            > That is a slam dunk for sure and you and Tony are very much
            appreciated for
            > your fine showing.
            >
            > One catch though, you must somehow submit an article and GOOD photos
            to some
            > of these magazines. No guarantee they will use your material, but
            if you do
            > submit, let the Z community know, and we will all be able to
            document to any
            > publishing nay sayers that say "nothing is being submitted" that is
            isn't
            > true.
            >
            > Thought for all concerned.......perhaps at each show you attend, you
            think
            > seriously about some picture composition possibilities and make the
            effort
            > to take high resolution photos of the best workmanship. And then
            write up
            > something and send it off.
            >
            > This is a group effort of sorts.
            >
            > Loren

          • Loren
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
              Ok Jack, you get two more 'atta boys' from me, but please, I'm all out of
              good things to give away, but I'll continue to praise your efforts, if that
              is worth anything. :o)

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                and yet they continue to publish those very shots he doesn't like. McQuirk
                had that attitude as well

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                  As I stated, he PREFERS low shots.

                  Messenger Don, here.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                    I know Don, was not meant to come off as shooting the messenger and my
                    apologies if it did.

                    David

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Hey, Loren!
                      Nothing big is required.  Maybe another GP35 decked out for the UP or the Rio Grand?
                      LOL--anyway, I am on it!
                      Jack

                      Ok Jack, you get two more 'atta boys' from me, but please, I'm all out of
                      good things to give away, but I'll continue to praise your efforts, if that
                      is worth anything. :o)

                      In fact, Loren, I did take (with my wife's assistance) several fairly hi res
                      photos that I plan to send to Model Railroader for inclusion in the
                      "Trackside Photos" section. I believe that Tony is already working on an
                      article on some aspect of Z.
                      Regards----Jack

                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                        My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                        On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                        The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                        The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                        But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                        Dom

                        >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                        >Dom
                      • M & J Piersdorff
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                          Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                          Michael

                          My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                          On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                          The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                          The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                          But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                          Dom

                          >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                          >Dom

                        • John Mui
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                            Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I
                            think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major
                            concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the
                            Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems
                            out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                            Michael

                            Micheal, I dont have problem coupling and uncoupling using MTL couplers and
                            uncouplers, but its not easy. Every coupler needs to be tested to make sure
                            they operate correctly. You also need to know which is the best switching
                            speed, and where is the best spot to stop under the magnet. When everything
                            is working like it suppose to, its magic.

                            John

                            7:58 AM

                            7:58 AM

                          • de Champeaux Dominique
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008

                              That's true. In my opinion one should carefully trim and set trip pins on MTL couplers, using MTL's dedicated tool, and when properly set it works flawlessly. The only issue beeing magnets inserted on a main track, but I bet that's the same problem with every scale, from G to Z.

                              (A few weeks ago I had some issues in that prospect, but I guess I will solve them using Kadee electromagnets.)
                            • jworones
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                Very impressive workmanship.

                                Is that white 'Route-Rock' boxcar a MTL issue?
                                If not, anyone know who made the decals?

                                Thanks!
                                Jeff

                                Jeff Worones
                                Seattle WA

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                  Jeff, the decals are custom made by Tom. I email him to see if I can
                                  purchase them, but I never got a reply.

                                  John