Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
      In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
      simpler.
      Dan S.

      In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

      > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
      That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
      moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

      Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
      rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
      Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
      Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
      think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
      school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

      **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
      5 Travel Deals!

    • M & J Piersdorff
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
        And for many of Canada's railways, I think it was "guard vans" or simply "vans". You can check the answer to question 2 at http://yahoo.rogers.com/yahoo/answerman/archive_search.jsp?query=geese&sort=swishlastmodified for more on the strange thing we call English, including why it should be "cabooses", not "cabeese".

        Michael

        In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
        simpler.
        Dan S.

        In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

        > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
        That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
        moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

        Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
        rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
        Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
        Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
        think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
        school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

        **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
        5 Travel Deals!

      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
          Sounds good Rob. Also sounds faster than doing one wheel at a time.
          Thanks
          Ed

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
            >De: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
            >Objet: Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup
            >À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            >Date: Dimanche 2 Novembre 2008, 2h12
            >

            >Ed,
            >
            >I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the >wire
            >brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the >wheels
            >and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per >car to
            >do this.
            >
            >Rob

            Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
            Thanks,
            Dom

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
              In a message dated 11/6/08 5:44:48 PM, ddechamp71@... writes:

              > Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could
              > you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
              > Thanks,
              > Dom

              Dom,

              Check out:

              http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-ToolsAcc.php

              The item is 988 00 151

              This has been part of my tool box for many years. Last year I switched to the
              modified Trix wheel cleaner from HTM. This is my new favorite!

              http://www.ztrackcenter.com/htm/tools/

              It is item 5001.