Re: Cabeese (was Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup)

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
      wrote:

      > > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
      > That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
      > moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.
      >
      > Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
      > rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
      > Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
      > Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago.

      Yes, interesting. 'Cabeese' has been used on this list as far back as
      message #52 on 5 July 1999. A trainboard search for 'cabeese' turned
      up mostly the N and Z scale forums and photo albums, and was used first
      in March 2000. Very seldom is the term used in the trainboard HO
      forum. Did not look at all the results, but seems to be mainly N and Z
      scale slang.

      'Cabooses' is harder to pronounce than 'cabeese'. Look up caboose on
      wikipedia.org for a discussion of the plural 'cabeese' and also many
      other slang terms for caboose.
    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
        In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
        simpler.
        Dan S.

        In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

        > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
        That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
        moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

        Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
        rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
        Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
        Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
        think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
        school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

        **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
        5 Travel Deals!

      • M & J Piersdorff
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
          And for many of Canada's railways, I think it was "guard vans" or simply "vans". You can check the answer to question 2 at http://yahoo.rogers.com/yahoo/answerman/archive_search.jsp?query=geese&sort=swishlastmodified for more on the strange thing we call English, including why it should be "cabooses", not "cabeese".

          Michael

          In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
          simpler.
          Dan S.

          In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

          > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
          That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
          moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

          Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
          rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
          Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
          Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
          think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
          school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

          **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
          5 Travel Deals!

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
            Sounds good Rob. Also sounds faster than doing one wheel at a time.
            Thanks
            Ed

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
              >De: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
              >Objet: Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup
              >À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              >Date: Dimanche 2 Novembre 2008, 2h12
              >

              >Ed,
              >
              >I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the >wire
              >brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the >wheels
              >and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per >car to
              >do this.
              >
              >Rob

              Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
              Thanks,
              Dom

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                In a message dated 11/6/08 5:44:48 PM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                > Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could
                > you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                > Thanks,
                > Dom

                Dom,

                Check out:

                http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-ToolsAcc.php

                The item is 988 00 151

                This has been part of my tool box for many years. Last year I switched to the
                modified Trix wheel cleaner from HTM. This is my new favorite!

                http://www.ztrackcenter.com/htm/tools/

                It is item 5001.