Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should
      be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail
      joints on everyone's modules.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

      > Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
      > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as
      cabeese
      > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip
      wetted
      > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.
      >
      > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
      > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
      > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
      > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
      > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.
      >
      > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.
      >

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Glenn
      > > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
      > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
      > > Ed Scullin
      > > Roanoke VA

    • Matthew Parker
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese. That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: glen@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:11:41 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          Ed,

          I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the wire
          brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the wheels
          and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per car to
          do this.

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          Distributor American Z Line

        • Jim O'Connell
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
            > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
            That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
            moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

            Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
            rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
            Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
            Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
            think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
            school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR
          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
              wrote:

              > > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
              > That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
              > moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.
              >
              > Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
              > rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
              > Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
              > Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago.

              Yes, interesting. 'Cabeese' has been used on this list as far back as
              message #52 on 5 July 1999. A trainboard search for 'cabeese' turned
              up mostly the N and Z scale forums and photo albums, and was used first
              in March 2000. Very seldom is the term used in the trainboard HO
              forum. Did not look at all the results, but seems to be mainly N and Z
              scale slang.

              'Cabooses' is harder to pronounce than 'cabeese'. Look up caboose on
              wikipedia.org for a discussion of the plural 'cabeese' and also many
              other slang terms for caboose.
            • dpstripe@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
                simpler.
                Dan S.

                In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

                > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                5 Travel Deals!

              • M & J Piersdorff
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                  And for many of Canada's railways, I think it was "guard vans" or simply "vans". You can check the answer to question 2 at http://yahoo.rogers.com/yahoo/answerman/archive_search.jsp?query=geese&sort=swishlastmodified for more on the strange thing we call English, including why it should be "cabooses", not "cabeese".

                  Michael

                  In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
                  simpler.
                  Dan S.

                  In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

                  > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                  That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                  moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                  Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                  rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                  Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                  Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                  think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                  school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                  **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                  5 Travel Deals!

                • Edward Scullin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                    Sounds good Rob. Also sounds faster than doing one wheel at a time.
                    Thanks
                    Ed

                    > I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the
                    > cars over the wire
                    > brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep
                    > inspecting the wheels
                    > and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too
                    > much time per car to
                    > do this.
                    >
                    > Rob
                    >

                    > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    > Dublin, OH 43016
                    > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    > www.ztrack.com
                    > www.ztrackcenter.com
                    > Distributor American Z Line

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                      >De: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
                      >Objet: Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup
                      >À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                      >Date: Dimanche 2 Novembre 2008, 2h12
                      >

                      >Ed,
                      >
                      >I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the >wire
                      >brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the >wheels
                      >and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per >car to
                      >do this.
                      >
                      >Rob

                      Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                      Thanks,
                      Dom

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                        In a message dated 11/6/08 5:44:48 PM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                        > Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could
                        > you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                        > Thanks,
                        > Dom

                        Dom,

                        Check out:

                        http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-ToolsAcc.php

                        The item is 988 00 151

                        This has been part of my tool box for many years. Last year I switched to the
                        modified Trix wheel cleaner from HTM. This is my new favorite!

                        http://www.ztrackcenter.com/htm/tools/

                        It is item 5001.