Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
      with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as cabeese
      chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip wetted
      with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.

      If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
      have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
      such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
      crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
      not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.

      Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

      > Glenn
      > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
      you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
      > Ed Scullin
      > Roanoke VA
    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should
        be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail
        joints on everyone's modules.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

        > Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
        > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as
        cabeese
        > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip
        wetted
        > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.
        >
        > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
        > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
        > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
        > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
        > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.
        >
        > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.
        >

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Glenn
        > > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
        > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
        > > Ed Scullin
        > > Roanoke VA

      • Matthew Parker
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese. That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: glen@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:11:41 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

          My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail joints on everyone's modules.--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:>> Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as cabeese > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip wetted > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread. > > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread. > > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.> > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:> >> > Glenn> > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.> > Ed Scullin> > Roanoke VA>

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
            Ed,

            I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the wire
            brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the wheels
            and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per car to
            do this.

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            Distributor American Z Line

          • Jim O'Connell
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
              That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
              moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

              Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
              rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
              Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
              Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
              think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
              school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR
            • Glen Chenier
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
                wrote:

                > > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                > That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                > moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.
                >
                > Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                > rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                > Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                > Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago.

                Yes, interesting. 'Cabeese' has been used on this list as far back as
                message #52 on 5 July 1999. A trainboard search for 'cabeese' turned
                up mostly the N and Z scale forums and photo albums, and was used first
                in March 2000. Very seldom is the term used in the trainboard HO
                forum. Did not look at all the results, but seems to be mainly N and Z
                scale slang.

                'Cabooses' is harder to pronounce than 'cabeese'. Look up caboose on
                wikipedia.org for a discussion of the plural 'cabeese' and also many
                other slang terms for caboose.
              • dpstripe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                  In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
                  simpler.
                  Dan S.

                  In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

                  > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                  That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                  moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                  Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                  rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                  Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                  Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                  think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                  school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                  **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                  5 Travel Deals!

                • M & J Piersdorff
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                    And for many of Canada's railways, I think it was "guard vans" or simply "vans". You can check the answer to question 2 at http://yahoo.rogers.com/yahoo/answerman/archive_search.jsp?query=geese&sort=swishlastmodified for more on the strange thing we call English, including why it should be "cabooses", not "cabeese".

                    Michael

                    In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
                    simpler.
                    Dan S.

                    In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

                    > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                    That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                    moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                    Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                    rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                    Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                    Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                    think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                    school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                    **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                    5 Travel Deals!

                  • Edward Scullin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                      Sounds good Rob. Also sounds faster than doing one wheel at a time.
                      Thanks
                      Ed

                      > I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the
                      > cars over the wire
                      > brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep
                      > inspecting the wheels
                      > and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too
                      > much time per car to
                      > do this.
                      >
                      > Rob
                      >

                      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > Dublin, OH 43016
                      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      > www.ztrack.com
                      > www.ztrackcenter.com
                      > Distributor American Z Line

                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                        >De: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
                        >Objet: Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup
                        >À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        >Date: Dimanche 2 Novembre 2008, 2h12
                        >

                        >Ed,
                        >
                        >I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the >wire
                        >brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the >wheels
                        >and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per >car to
                        >do this.
                        >
                        >Rob

                        Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                        Thanks,
                        Dom

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                          In a message dated 11/6/08 5:44:48 PM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                          > Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could
                          > you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                          > Thanks,
                          > Dom

                          Dom,

                          Check out:

                          http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-ToolsAcc.php

                          The item is 988 00 151

                          This has been part of my tool box for many years. Last year I switched to the
                          modified Trix wheel cleaner from HTM. This is my new favorite!

                          http://www.ztrackcenter.com/htm/tools/

                          It is item 5001.