Re: Re : [Z_Scale] So you want Z recognition do you? Well, here is our opportunity.

  • John Mui
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
      Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
      of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

      John
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
        Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
        just to honor Jurg.

        Start swinging,

        > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
        > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
        >
        > John
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
          OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives at my home later.... Go figure!
          Dom

          Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
          of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

          John

        • Jack Chase
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
            OK, so it's recognition that we want--right?
            This past weekend was the annual train show in Salt Lake City.  Our Z Club--Wasatch Z was there with our modules--mostly completed (Tony Brucia's) and works in progress (mine).  We walked away from the show with people's choice awards for first, second & third places for Tony's modules!!  We also ran our trains flawlessly for 2 very full days!!  & guess what?  We got very few of the "you must need a micro scope to work on that stufrf remarks!!
            Not a bad accomplishment, I think!  Go Z
            Jack Chase
            PS:  I'll post a few photos later.

            Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
            just to honor Jurg.

            Start swinging,

            > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
            > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
            >
            > John

          • Loren
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
              Jack,

              That is a slam dunk for sure and you and Tony are very much appreciated for
              your fine showing.

              One catch though, you must somehow submit an article and GOOD photos to some
              of these magazines. No guarantee they will use your material, but if you do
              submit, let the Z community know, and we will all be able to document to any
              publishing nay sayers that say "nothing is being submitted" that is isn't
              true.

              Thought for all concerned.......perhaps at each show you attend, you think
              seriously about some picture composition possibilities and make the effort
              to take high resolution photos of the best workmanship. And then write up
              something and send it off.

              This is a group effort of sorts.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                In fact, Loren, I did take (with my wife's assistance) several fairly hi res photos that I plan to send to Model Railroader for inclusion in the "Trackside Photos" section.  I believe that Tony is already working on an article on some aspect of Z.
                Regards----Jack

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                  When Andy Sperandeo, Model RR Editor in Chief talked with Dave George,
                  Garth hamilton and myself at the Detroit NMRA/NTS in 2007, Andy
                  emphasized he prefers photo shots from low to the ground -- the way
                  real people see real trains. Andy does not think "helicopter" views
                  are anywhere near as good. FWIW.

                  ...don

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Ok Jack, you get two more 'atta boys' from me, but please, I'm all out of
                    good things to give away, but I'll continue to praise your efforts, if that
                    is worth anything. :o)

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                      and yet they continue to publish those very shots he doesn't like. McQuirk
                      had that attitude as well

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                        As I stated, he PREFERS low shots.

                        Messenger Don, here.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                          I know Don, was not meant to come off as shooting the messenger and my
                          apologies if it did.

                          David

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                            Hey, Loren!
                            Nothing big is required.  Maybe another GP35 decked out for the UP or the Rio Grand?
                            LOL--anyway, I am on it!
                            Jack

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                              My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                              On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                              The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                              The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                              But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                              Dom

                              >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                              >Dom
                            • M & J Piersdorff
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                Michael

                                My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                Dom

                                >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                >Dom

                              • John Mui
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I
                                  think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major
                                  concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the
                                  Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems
                                  out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                  Michael

                                  Micheal, I dont have problem coupling and uncoupling using MTL couplers and
                                  uncouplers, but its not easy. Every coupler needs to be tested to make sure
                                  they operate correctly. You also need to know which is the best switching
                                  speed, and where is the best spot to stop under the magnet. When everything
                                  is working like it suppose to, its magic.

                                  John

                                  7:58 AM

                                  7:58 AM

                                • de Champeaux Dominique
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008

                                    That's true. In my opinion one should carefully trim and set trip pins on MTL couplers, using MTL's dedicated tool, and when properly set it works flawlessly. The only issue beeing magnets inserted on a main track, but I bet that's the same problem with every scale, from G to Z.

                                    (A few weeks ago I had some issues in that prospect, but I guess I will solve them using Kadee electromagnets.)
                                  • jworones
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                      Very impressive workmanship.

                                      Is that white 'Route-Rock' boxcar a MTL issue?
                                      If not, anyone know who made the decals?

                                      Thanks!
                                      Jeff

                                      Jeff Worones
                                      Seattle WA

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                        Jeff, the decals are custom made by Tom. I email him to see if I can
                                        purchase them, but I never got a reply.

                                        John