Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

  • Edward Scullin
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      Glenn
      Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
      Ed Scullin
      Roanoke VA

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
        with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as cabeese
        chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip wetted
        with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.

        If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
        have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
        such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
        crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
        not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.

        Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

        > Glenn
        > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
        you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
        > Ed Scullin
        > Roanoke VA
      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should
          be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail
          joints on everyone's modules.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

          > Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
          > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as
          cabeese
          > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip
          wetted
          > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.
          >
          > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
          > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
          > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
          > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
          > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.
          >
          > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.
          >

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Glenn
          > > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
          > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
          > > Ed Scullin
          > > Roanoke VA

        • Matthew Parker
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
            You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese. That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

            To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: glen@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:11:41 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

            My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail joints on everyone's modules.--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:>> Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as cabeese > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip wetted > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread. > > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread. > > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.> > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:> >> > Glenn> > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.> > Ed Scullin> > Roanoke VA>

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              Ed,

              I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the wire
              brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the wheels
              and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per car to
              do this.

              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              Distributor American Z Line

            • Jim O'Connell
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR
              • Glen Chenier
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                  > That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                  > moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.
                  >
                  > Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                  > rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                  > Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                  > Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago.

                  Yes, interesting. 'Cabeese' has been used on this list as far back as
                  message #52 on 5 July 1999. A trainboard search for 'cabeese' turned
                  up mostly the N and Z scale forums and photo albums, and was used first
                  in March 2000. Very seldom is the term used in the trainboard HO
                  forum. Did not look at all the results, but seems to be mainly N and Z
                  scale slang.

                  'Cabooses' is harder to pronounce than 'cabeese'. Look up caboose on
                  wikipedia.org for a discussion of the plural 'cabeese' and also many
                  other slang terms for caboose.
                • dpstripe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                    In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
                    simpler.
                    Dan S.

                    In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

                    > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                    That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                    moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                    Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                    rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                    Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                    Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                    think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                    school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                    **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                    5 Travel Deals!

                  • M & J Piersdorff
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                      And for many of Canada's railways, I think it was "guard vans" or simply "vans". You can check the answer to question 2 at http://yahoo.rogers.com/yahoo/answerman/archive_search.jsp?query=geese&sort=swishlastmodified for more on the strange thing we call English, including why it should be "cabooses", not "cabeese".

                      Michael

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                        Sounds good Rob. Also sounds faster than doing one wheel at a time.
                        Thanks
                        Ed

                        > I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the
                        > cars over the wire
                        > brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep
                        > inspecting the wheels
                        > and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too
                        > much time per car to
                        > do this.
                        >
                        > Rob
                        >

                        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        > Dublin, OH 43016
                        > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        > www.ztrack.com
                        > www.ztrackcenter.com
                        > Distributor American Z Line

                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                          >De: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
                          >Objet: Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup
                          >À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                          >Date: Dimanche 2 Novembre 2008, 2h12
                          >

                          >Ed,
                          >
                          >I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the >wire
                          >brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the >wheels
                          >and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per >car to
                          >do this.
                          >
                          >Rob

                          Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                          Thanks,
                          Dom

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                            In a message dated 11/6/08 5:44:48 PM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                            > Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could
                            > you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                            > Thanks,
                            > Dom

                            Dom,

                            Check out:

                            http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-ToolsAcc.php

                            The item is 988 00 151

                            This has been part of my tool box for many years. Last year I switched to the
                            modified Trix wheel cleaner from HTM. This is my new favorite!

                            http://www.ztrackcenter.com/htm/tools/

                            It is item 5001.