Re: Re : [Z_Scale] So you want Z recognition do you? Well, here is our opportunity.

  • stevegail
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
      How could they. All we Z scalers do is "pat ourselves or each other
      on the back" and never attempt to tell the rest of the model train
      world about our accomplishments. That's the point of the replys
      Loren and I got from Scale Rails. No articles from Z Scale modelers
      are submited so therefore nothing is published. Sorry if this offends
      anyone, but I'm just stating facts as I see them.
      --Steve from the other Phoenix

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
      <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

      > It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as
      ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's
      and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

      > Dom
      >

      > >The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles
      > >and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling, then there
      > >will come as a result the recognition we all crave for our beloved
      scale.

      > >Loren

    • Loren
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
        Steve is right,..........and we're not of the same party affiliation
        either.....:o)

        All of our internal back slapping isn't going to accomplish anything for the
        growth of Z scale.

        Advertising is important in order to get the "message out". Just look at
        all the money that is spent on product promotion and now the millions being
        spent on political messages for the candidates. You have to splash yourself
        around in order to get noticed.

        So, did Jurg or John send anything to these magazines? If not, they should,
        but then again.......so should I once I get something good to share and
        show.

        Time to make waves,

        <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

        > It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as
        ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's
        and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

        > Dom
      • John Mui
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
          Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
          of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

          John
        • Loren
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
            Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
            just to honor Jurg.

            Start swinging,

            > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
            > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
            >
            > John
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
              OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives at my home later.... Go figure!
              Dom

              Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
              of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

              John

            • Jack Chase
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                OK, so it's recognition that we want--right?
                This past weekend was the annual train show in Salt Lake City.  Our Z Club--Wasatch Z was there with our modules--mostly completed (Tony Brucia's) and works in progress (mine).  We walked away from the show with people's choice awards for first, second & third places for Tony's modules!!  We also ran our trains flawlessly for 2 very full days!!  & guess what?  We got very few of the "you must need a micro scope to work on that stufrf remarks!!
                Not a bad accomplishment, I think!  Go Z
                Jack Chase
                PS:  I'll post a few photos later.

                Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
                just to honor Jurg.

                Start swinging,

                > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
                >
                > John

              • Loren
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Jack,

                  That is a slam dunk for sure and you and Tony are very much appreciated for
                  your fine showing.

                  One catch though, you must somehow submit an article and GOOD photos to some
                  of these magazines. No guarantee they will use your material, but if you do
                  submit, let the Z community know, and we will all be able to document to any
                  publishing nay sayers that say "nothing is being submitted" that is isn't
                  true.

                  Thought for all concerned.......perhaps at each show you attend, you think
                  seriously about some picture composition possibilities and make the effort
                  to take high resolution photos of the best workmanship. And then write up
                  something and send it off.

                  This is a group effort of sorts.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                    In fact, Loren, I did take (with my wife's assistance) several fairly hi res photos that I plan to send to Model Railroader for inclusion in the "Trackside Photos" section.  I believe that Tony is already working on an article on some aspect of Z.
                    Regards----Jack

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                      When Andy Sperandeo, Model RR Editor in Chief talked with Dave George,
                      Garth hamilton and myself at the Detroit NMRA/NTS in 2007, Andy
                      emphasized he prefers photo shots from low to the ground -- the way
                      real people see real trains. Andy does not think "helicopter" views
                      are anywhere near as good. FWIW.

                      ...don

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Ok Jack, you get two more 'atta boys' from me, but please, I'm all out of
                        good things to give away, but I'll continue to praise your efforts, if that
                        is worth anything. :o)

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                          and yet they continue to publish those very shots he doesn't like. McQuirk
                          had that attitude as well

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                            As I stated, he PREFERS low shots.

                            Messenger Don, here.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                              I know Don, was not meant to come off as shooting the messenger and my
                              apologies if it did.

                              David

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                Hey, Loren!
                                Nothing big is required.  Maybe another GP35 decked out for the UP or the Rio Grand?
                                LOL--anyway, I am on it!
                                Jack

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                  On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                  The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                  The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                  But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                  Dom

                                  >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                  >Dom
                                • M & J Piersdorff
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                    Michael

                                    My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                    On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                    The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                    The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                    But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                    Dom

                                    >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                    >Dom

                                  • John Mui
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                      Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I
                                      think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major
                                      concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the
                                      Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems
                                      out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                      Michael

                                      Micheal, I dont have problem coupling and uncoupling using MTL couplers and
                                      uncouplers, but its not easy. Every coupler needs to be tested to make sure
                                      they operate correctly. You also need to know which is the best switching
                                      speed, and where is the best spot to stop under the magnet. When everything
                                      is working like it suppose to, its magic.

                                      John

                                      7:58 AM

                                      7:58 AM

                                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008

                                        That's true. In my opinion one should carefully trim and set trip pins on MTL couplers, using MTL's dedicated tool, and when properly set it works flawlessly. The only issue beeing magnets inserted on a main track, but I bet that's the same problem with every scale, from G to Z.

                                        (A few weeks ago I had some issues in that prospect, but I guess I will solve them using Kadee electromagnets.)
                                      • jworones
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                          Very impressive workmanship.

                                          Is that white 'Route-Rock' boxcar a MTL issue?
                                          If not, anyone know who made the decals?

                                          Thanks!
                                          Jeff

                                          Jeff Worones
                                          Seattle WA

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                            Jeff, the decals are custom made by Tom. I email him to see if I can
                                            purchase them, but I never got a reply.

                                            John