Re : [Z_Scale] So you want Z recognition do you? Well, here is our opportunity.

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
      It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

      Dom

      >The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles
      >and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling, then there
      >will come as a result the recognition we all crave for our beloved scale.
      >
      >Loren
    • stevegail
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
        How could they. All we Z scalers do is "pat ourselves or each other
        on the back" and never attempt to tell the rest of the model train
        world about our accomplishments. That's the point of the replys
        Loren and I got from Scale Rails. No articles from Z Scale modelers
        are submited so therefore nothing is published. Sorry if this offends
        anyone, but I'm just stating facts as I see them.
        --Steve from the other Phoenix

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
        <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

        > It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as
        ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's
        and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

        > Dom
        >

        > >The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles
        > >and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling, then there
        > >will come as a result the recognition we all crave for our beloved
        scale.

        > >Loren

      • Loren
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
          Steve is right,..........and we're not of the same party affiliation
          either.....:o)

          All of our internal back slapping isn't going to accomplish anything for the
          growth of Z scale.

          Advertising is important in order to get the "message out". Just look at
          all the money that is spent on product promotion and now the millions being
          spent on political messages for the candidates. You have to splash yourself
          around in order to get noticed.

          So, did Jurg or John send anything to these magazines? If not, they should,
          but then again.......so should I once I get something good to share and
          show.

          Time to make waves,

          <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

          > It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as
          ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's
          and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

          > Dom
        • John Mui
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
            Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
            of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

            John
          • Loren
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
              Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
              just to honor Jurg.

              Start swinging,

              > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
              > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
              >
              > John
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives at my home later.... Go figure!
                Dom

                Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

                John

              • Jack Chase
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                  OK, so it's recognition that we want--right?
                  This past weekend was the annual train show in Salt Lake City.  Our Z Club--Wasatch Z was there with our modules--mostly completed (Tony Brucia's) and works in progress (mine).  We walked away from the show with people's choice awards for first, second & third places for Tony's modules!!  We also ran our trains flawlessly for 2 very full days!!  & guess what?  We got very few of the "you must need a micro scope to work on that stufrf remarks!!
                  Not a bad accomplishment, I think!  Go Z
                  Jack Chase
                  PS:  I'll post a few photos later.

                  Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
                  just to honor Jurg.

                  Start swinging,

                  > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                  > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
                  >
                  > John

                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Jack,

                    That is a slam dunk for sure and you and Tony are very much appreciated for
                    your fine showing.

                    One catch though, you must somehow submit an article and GOOD photos to some
                    of these magazines. No guarantee they will use your material, but if you do
                    submit, let the Z community know, and we will all be able to document to any
                    publishing nay sayers that say "nothing is being submitted" that is isn't
                    true.

                    Thought for all concerned.......perhaps at each show you attend, you think
                    seriously about some picture composition possibilities and make the effort
                    to take high resolution photos of the best workmanship. And then write up
                    something and send it off.

                    This is a group effort of sorts.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                      In fact, Loren, I did take (with my wife's assistance) several fairly hi res photos that I plan to send to Model Railroader for inclusion in the "Trackside Photos" section.  I believe that Tony is already working on an article on some aspect of Z.
                      Regards----Jack

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                        When Andy Sperandeo, Model RR Editor in Chief talked with Dave George,
                        Garth hamilton and myself at the Detroit NMRA/NTS in 2007, Andy
                        emphasized he prefers photo shots from low to the ground -- the way
                        real people see real trains. Andy does not think "helicopter" views
                        are anywhere near as good. FWIW.

                        ...don

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                          Ok Jack, you get two more 'atta boys' from me, but please, I'm all out of
                          good things to give away, but I'll continue to praise your efforts, if that
                          is worth anything. :o)

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                            and yet they continue to publish those very shots he doesn't like. McQuirk
                            had that attitude as well

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                              As I stated, he PREFERS low shots.

                              Messenger Don, here.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                I know Don, was not meant to come off as shooting the messenger and my
                                apologies if it did.

                                David

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  Hey, Loren!
                                  Nothing big is required.  Maybe another GP35 decked out for the UP or the Rio Grand?
                                  LOL--anyway, I am on it!
                                  Jack

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                    On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                    The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                    The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                    But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                    Dom

                                    >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                    >Dom
                                  • M & J Piersdorff
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                      Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                      Michael

                                      My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                      On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                      The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                      The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                      But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                      Dom

                                      >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                      >Dom

                                    • John Mui
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                        Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I
                                        think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major
                                        concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the
                                        Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems
                                        out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                        Michael

                                        Micheal, I dont have problem coupling and uncoupling using MTL couplers and
                                        uncouplers, but its not easy. Every coupler needs to be tested to make sure
                                        they operate correctly. You also need to know which is the best switching
                                        speed, and where is the best spot to stop under the magnet. When everything
                                        is working like it suppose to, its magic.

                                        John

                                        7:58 AM

                                        7:58 AM

                                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008

                                          That's true. In my opinion one should carefully trim and set trip pins on MTL couplers, using MTL's dedicated tool, and when properly set it works flawlessly. The only issue beeing magnets inserted on a main track, but I bet that's the same problem with every scale, from G to Z.

                                          (A few weeks ago I had some issues in that prospect, but I guess I will solve them using Kadee electromagnets.)
                                        • jworones
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                            Very impressive workmanship.

                                            Is that white 'Route-Rock' boxcar a MTL issue?
                                            If not, anyone know who made the decals?

                                            Thanks!
                                            Jeff

                                            Jeff Worones
                                            Seattle WA

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                              Jeff, the decals are custom made by Tom. I email him to see if I can
                                              purchase them, but I never got a reply.

                                              John