Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2008
      With summer over and model train running season approaching, those
      who did not run trains over the summer are about to blow the dust off
      their layouts (literally) and spend the time that used to be
      dedicated to lawn mowing etc running trains again. But before
      placing a loco on those dusty rails, vacuum the dust off first.

      It's amazing how much dust can get sucked into locomotives and clog
      the works. Not usually fatal unless the motor overheats from forced
      running by cranking up the voltage. The cure is to completely dis-
      assemble the loco and scrub out the accumulated dust from all moving
      parts with alcohol, tweezers, and toothbrush. Not easy, the longer
      fibers get wrapped around the worms and axles and have to be unwound
      like a silkworm. An ultrasonic cleaner cannot do this type of
      cleaning.

      Avoid this problem by vacuuming your tracks monthly. Use an open
      ended hose nozzle, or better yet the small nozzles intended for
      keyboard cleaning.

      Then clean the railtops with a low-fiber rag or paper towel wetted
      with rubbing alcohol which does not leave a slippery residue on the
      rails. Avoid abrasive cleaners such as Bright-Boy types, they will
      scratch the rails which then grind away at plastic wheels. If you
      have used a Bright-Boy type in the past and want to restore the
      railtops, use 2000 grit emery paper to polish out the scratches.

      And of course keep those wheels clean. Both rolling stock and
      locos. Does no good to clean tracks and then place a boxcar with
      dirty wheels on the track.

      Clean loco wheels by holding it upside down in a styrofoam cradle and
      apply power to one wheelset with a handheld short piece of track
      wired to your power pack. With the wheels thus spinning, press a
      Qtip wetted with rubbing alcohol onto each wheel tread. May need
      several Qtips, repeat until the Qtip comes away white instead of
      blackened by wheel crud.

      A bit of preventative maintenance now and monthly will go a long way
      to making your trains run reliably over the winter.
    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        Glenn
        Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
        Ed Scullin
        Roanoke VA

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
          with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as cabeese
          chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip wetted
          with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.

          If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
          have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
          such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
          crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
          not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.

          Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

          > Glenn
          > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
          you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
          > Ed Scullin
          > Roanoke VA
        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
            My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should
            be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail
            joints on everyone's modules.

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

            > Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle
            > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as
            cabeese
            > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip
            wetted
            > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread.
            >
            > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that
            > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade
            > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the
            > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do
            > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread.
            >
            > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Glenn
            > > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when
            > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.
            > > Ed Scullin
            > > Roanoke VA

          • Matthew Parker
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese. That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

              To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: glen@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:11:41 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup

              My first reply overlooked the obvious...This is something that should be done BEFORE a show. Crud on rolling stock wheel deposits on rail joints on everyone's modules.--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:>> Same way, turn them upside down, preferably in a styrofoam cradle > with carved recesses to accept rooftop protuberences such as cabeese > chimneys, and spin the wheels by hand while applying the Qtip wetted > with rubbing alcohol to each wheeltread. > > If the crud is caked on (as often happens with plastic wheels that > have not been cleaned regularly), very carefully use a blunt blade > such as a slightly worn small flat screwdriver tip to dislodge the > crud. Spin the wheel away from the metal blade, not towards it, do > not dig and gouge the plastic wheeltread. > > Then continue cleaning with the alcohol wetted Qtip.> > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@> wrote:> >> > Glenn> > Any tips on how to clean the wheels on the cars. Especially when > you have a bunch of cars to clean, like after a show.> > Ed Scullin> > Roanoke VA>

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                Ed,

                I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the wire
                brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the wheels
                and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per car to
                do this.

                Rob

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                www.ztrack.com
                www.ztrackcenter.com
                Distributor American Z Line

              • Jim O'Connell
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                  > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                  That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                  moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                  Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                  rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                  Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                  Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                  think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                  school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                • Glen Chenier
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                    > That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                    > moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.
                    >
                    > Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                    > rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                    > Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                    > Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago.

                    Yes, interesting. 'Cabeese' has been used on this list as far back as
                    message #52 on 5 July 1999. A trainboard search for 'cabeese' turned
                    up mostly the N and Z scale forums and photo albums, and was used first
                    in March 2000. Very seldom is the term used in the trainboard HO
                    forum. Did not look at all the results, but seems to be mainly N and Z
                    scale slang.

                    'Cabooses' is harder to pronounce than 'cabeese'. Look up caboose on
                    wikipedia.org for a discussion of the plural 'cabeese' and also many
                    other slang terms for caboose.
                  • dpstripe@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                      In Pennsy speak, the plural of "caboose" is "cabin cars", so it becomes much
                      simpler.
                      Dan S.

                      In a message dated 11/1/2008 11:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      _jimo.crcmnvgtr@..._ (mailto:jimo.crcmnvgtr@...) writes:

                      > You know, I never thought that the plural of caboose was cabeese.
                      That's very interesting. If this is so, then why isn't the plural of
                      moose, meese? Very interesting indeed.

                      Yes, why isn't it so. Many will tell you it follows the "goose/geese"
                      rule. On the other hand older dictionaries, and places like
                      Dictionary.com will tell you that the pural of caboose is cabooses.
                      Cabeese generated in the model railroading crowd years ago. So, if you
                      think it is cool to use new words for old, go ahead. Only your grade
                      school English teacher will probably care. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                      **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                      5 Travel Deals!

                    • M & J Piersdorff
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                        And for many of Canada's railways, I think it was "guard vans" or simply "vans". You can check the answer to question 2 at http://yahoo.rogers.com/yahoo/answerman/archive_search.jsp?query=geese&sort=swishlastmodified for more on the strange thing we call English, including why it should be "cabooses", not "cabeese".

                        Michael

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Sounds good Rob. Also sounds faster than doing one wheel at a time.
                          Thanks
                          Ed

                          > I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the
                          > cars over the wire
                          > brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep
                          > inspecting the wheels
                          > and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too
                          > much time per car to
                          > do this.
                          >
                          > Rob
                          >

                          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                          > Dublin, OH 43016
                          > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                          > www.ztrack.com
                          > www.ztrackcenter.com
                          > Distributor American Z Line

                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                            >De: ztrack@... <ztrack@...>
                            >Objet: Re: [Z_Scale] Track Vac Time - Fall Layout Tuneup
                            >À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                            >Date: Dimanche 2 Novembre 2008, 2h12
                            >

                            >Ed,
                            >
                            >I use the Micro-Trains wheel cleaner and simply run the cars over the >wire
                            >brushes. It takes a few swipes to clean the wheels. Keep inspecting the >wheels
                            >and concentrate on the dirty spots. It does not take too much time per >car to
                            >do this.
                            >
                            >Rob

                            Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                            Thanks,
                            Dom

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                              In a message dated 11/6/08 5:44:48 PM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                              > Rob, as MTL's website is not always very easy to navigate with, please could
                              > you give us here MTL wheel cleaner's Reference?
                              > Thanks,
                              > Dom

                              Dom,

                              Check out:

                              http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-ToolsAcc.php

                              The item is 988 00 151

                              This has been part of my tool box for many years. Last year I switched to the
                              modified Trix wheel cleaner from HTM. This is my new favorite!

                              http://www.ztrackcenter.com/htm/tools/

                              It is item 5001.