So you want Z recognition do you? Well, here is our opportunity.

  • loren snyder
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 31, 2008
      Recently Steve Schulman wrote a letter about an article he saw
      concerning recognition of Z scale. Here it is.....

      Greetings once again from Oregon. In looking over the "President's
      Car" column and the "Observation Car" column in the current (October
      2008) issue of Scale Rails. Stephen Priest in his article title"Size
      Does Matter," discusses how much more you can do with N as opposed to
      HO. Mike Brestel writes about the survey the NMRA is conducting with
      "some very nice prizes in a variety of scales from N to large Scale."
      The letter Z is not even used in either column.
      All of this is against a backdrop of the fact that Z SCALE took 1st,
      2nd, and 3rd place in the module contest; the active Z SCALE volcano
      which erupted every 20 minuets and drew crowds from all corners of the
      building; and that on one Z SCALE module there was an actual roadway
      with moving cars (something not done in any other scale at the NTS).
      I think it is high time that Zee got more than a passing nod from the
      NMRA. We in Zee have arrived and proven the viability of the scale.

      Steve sent it to me and we both responded to the article writer.
      Below is the response we both got.........

      Steve and Loren,

      Wow, what passion! I really like the enthusiasm you portray! However,
      I don' think you are really looking at the entire picture. So, let me
      help paint it for you. First off, Z is still a very minority scale.
      That is not to say it does not merit attention and coverage. Here in
      Kansas City there are no Z scale layouts that I am aware of, and I am
      VERY active in model railroading here, our hobby shops do not even
      carry Z in their stock. I do know that Micro-trains is creating
      beautifully detailed cars in Z but I have as of yet to find anyone to
      review them. So, here is your challenge. First, I need a Z scale
      reviewer. We receive about 5 cars per month from Micro-trains. We have
      never received locomotives, structures or anything else from any other
      manufacturer. So, we cannot review any of those products which is
      unfortunate. So, if one of you wants to step up and review the some of
      the Z scale we have in stock, I would be honored and you would get
      some z scale representation. Secondly, I have Zero articles on hand
      that deal with Z scale. So my challenge to you is get writing and
      photographing. I will gladly print any well-written article with good
      photography that deals with Z, your challenge is to produce it. That
      is where our articles come from: YOU. Our staff does not create the
      articles you see in Scale Rails, we print what we receive. I do not
      have a bias nor do I really have a preference. Model railroading is
      model railroading, it is the membership that creates the flavor of
      Scale Rails and no one is writing about Z. If that offends you, I am
      truly sorry but that is the hard truth. So change that. I will
      anticipate several articles from both of you this year. You can change
      this course and create representation for your scale.

      As for my editorial, I have never worked in Z scale, but I have built
      layouts in N and HO. Not much I can do about that. That is my
      preference and my right just as it is your right to model in Z scale.
      My editorials reflect my personal experiences, my life. Up to now, Z
      has not been a part of that. I cannot write about what I have not
      experienced. This has nothing to do with bias, preference but not bias.

      Here is another response from Mike Brestel, NMRA president.....

      No, there are no Z models included in the prizes to be awarded for
      participation in the convention survey. This is because the prizes
      were donated to us, and the companies that donated them didn't give us
      any Z models.

      I saw the beautiful Z scale layouts that were on display in Anaheim
      and was very impressed. Obviously the module judges were impressed,
      too. Indeed, I imagine everyone who was at the show was impressed with
      the high quality of work being done in Z these days.

      Most of the work the NMRA does is done by volunteers. The articles
      that appear in our magazine are written by passionate modelers,
      usually working in their favorite scale. If passionate Z scalers do
      not write articles about their work, their models, and their layouts,
      there will be no articles to print in Scale Rails about Z scale. Given
      the high quality of current Z modeling, it's a shame that more
      modelers are not writing articles and taking publication-quality photos.

      Mike Brestel
      NMRA president

      The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles
      and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling, then there
      will come as a result the recognition we all crave for our beloved scale.

      Loren
    • stevegail
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 31, 2008
        For those of you that don't know, "Scale Rail" is the NMRA's monthly
        publication. It has become a first class model trail magazine. I
        really hope this thread doesn't turn into a flame war about the good or
        bad of the NMRA.
        We need to get the word out about Z Scale. You don't need to be a
        member to submit an article. But if you would rather write for another
        publication, by all means do so. Just remember that writing for Z
        Track (not that this is a bad thing)is preaching to the choir, while
        writing for Scale Rails or Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman
        will bring new blood into the scale. We just need to tell others what
        we are doing.
        --Steve from the other Phoenix
      • man.ukin
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 31, 2008
          for cars and figures you can contact me
        • Thomas Welsch
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 31, 2008
            Hi Everybody!!

            I guess the MidweZt HaulerZ will have to take a trip to the KC area
            and show them what Z scale is all about.
            The MidweZt HaulerZ will be displaying some of our modules at the
            Gateway Division Fall Meet of the NMRA this Saturday from 9am to 3pm
            in Ballwin, Missouri. We were invited by the vendor table info person
            to display this weekend.
            I've been a member of the NMRA for several years and have never
            attended a meeting because the time and location are difficult, at
            best, for me.

            The NMRA knows we're out there....we just need to start sending
            things to them to publish.

            Thom Welsch
            MidweZt HaulerZ

            > Steve and Loren,
            >
            > Wow, what passion! I really like the enthusiasm you portray!
            However,
            > I don' think you are really looking at the entire picture. So, let
            me
            > help paint it for you. First off, Z is still a very minority scale.
            > That is not to say it does not merit attention and coverage. Here in
            > Kansas City there are no Z scale layouts that I am aware of, and I
            am
            > VERY active in model railroading here, our hobby shops do not even
            > carry Z in their stock.
          • man.ukin
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 31, 2008
              people who need street cars and figures scale z can contact me
              jens
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

                Dom

                >The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles
                >and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling, then there
                >will come as a result the recognition we all crave for our beloved scale.
                >
                >Loren
              • stevegail
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                  How could they. All we Z scalers do is "pat ourselves or each other
                  on the back" and never attempt to tell the rest of the model train
                  world about our accomplishments. That's the point of the replys
                  Loren and I got from Scale Rails. No articles from Z Scale modelers
                  are submited so therefore nothing is published. Sorry if this offends
                  anyone, but I'm just stating facts as I see them.
                  --Steve from the other Phoenix

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
                  <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

                  > It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as
                  ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's
                  and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

                  > Dom
                  >

                  > >The bottom line is that if we Z scalers write well written articles
                  > >and submit high quality photos of some good Z modeling, then there
                  > >will come as a result the recognition we all crave for our beloved
                  scale.

                  > >Loren

                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                    Steve is right,..........and we're not of the same party affiliation
                    either.....:o)

                    All of our internal back slapping isn't going to accomplish anything for the
                    growth of Z scale.

                    Advertising is important in order to get the "message out". Just look at
                    all the money that is spent on product promotion and now the millions being
                    spent on political messages for the candidates. You have to splash yourself
                    around in order to get noticed.

                    So, did Jurg or John send anything to these magazines? If not, they should,
                    but then again.......so should I once I get something good to share and
                    show.

                    Time to make waves,

                    <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

                    > It should be interresting to know if these guys, as well as
                    ModelRailroader's staff for example, have ever heard of Jürg Rüedi's
                    and John Cubbin's wonderful dioramas...

                    > Dom
                  • John Mui
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                      Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                      of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

                      John
                    • Loren
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                        Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
                        just to honor Jurg.

                        Start swinging,

                        > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                        > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
                        >
                        > John
                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                          OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives at my home later.... Go figure!
                          Dom

                          Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                          of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.

                          John

                        • Jack Chase
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                            OK, so it's recognition that we want--right?
                            This past weekend was the annual train show in Salt Lake City.  Our Z Club--Wasatch Z was there with our modules--mostly completed (Tony Brucia's) and works in progress (mine).  We walked away from the show with people's choice awards for first, second & third places for Tony's modules!!  We also ran our trains flawlessly for 2 very full days!!  & guess what?  We got very few of the "you must need a micro scope to work on that stufrf remarks!!
                            Not a bad accomplishment, I think!  Go Z
                            Jack Chase
                            PS:  I'll post a few photos later.

                            Extra cudos for Jurg. Now it is our turn at bat. Gotta get me a copy of MR
                            just to honor Jurg.

                            Start swinging,

                            > Just to let all the politic experts know, Jurg has a picture on Dec issue
                            > of Model Railroader. Its on page 101.
                            >
                            > John

                          • Loren
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                              Jack,

                              That is a slam dunk for sure and you and Tony are very much appreciated for
                              your fine showing.

                              One catch though, you must somehow submit an article and GOOD photos to some
                              of these magazines. No guarantee they will use your material, but if you do
                              submit, let the Z community know, and we will all be able to document to any
                              publishing nay sayers that say "nothing is being submitted" that is isn't
                              true.

                              Thought for all concerned.......perhaps at each show you attend, you think
                              seriously about some picture composition possibilities and make the effort
                              to take high resolution photos of the best workmanship. And then write up
                              something and send it off.

                              This is a group effort of sorts.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                In fact, Loren, I did take (with my wife's assistance) several fairly hi res photos that I plan to send to Model Railroader for inclusion in the "Trackside Photos" section.  I believe that Tony is already working on an article on some aspect of Z.
                                Regards----Jack

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  When Andy Sperandeo, Model RR Editor in Chief talked with Dave George,
                                  Garth hamilton and myself at the Detroit NMRA/NTS in 2007, Andy
                                  emphasized he prefers photo shots from low to the ground -- the way
                                  real people see real trains. Andy does not think "helicopter" views
                                  are anywhere near as good. FWIW.

                                  ...don

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                    Ok Jack, you get two more 'atta boys' from me, but please, I'm all out of
                                    good things to give away, but I'll continue to praise your efforts, if that
                                    is worth anything. :o)

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                      and yet they continue to publish those very shots he doesn't like. McQuirk
                                      had that attitude as well

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                        As I stated, he PREFERS low shots.

                                        Messenger Don, here.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                          I know Don, was not meant to come off as shooting the messenger and my
                                          apologies if it did.

                                          David

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                            Hey, Loren!
                                            Nothing big is required.  Maybe another GP35 decked out for the UP or the Rio Grand?
                                            LOL--anyway, I am on it!
                                            Jack

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                              My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                              On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                              The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                              The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                              But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                              Dom

                                              >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                              >Dom
                                            • M & J Piersdorff
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                                Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                                Michael

                                                My issue arrived today. Very nice photo of weathered freight cars on this superb bridge!

                                                On another hand I purchased yesterday a recent Kalmbach publication: "Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" (from Bernie Kempinski). This book shows a handful of trackplans in the 10 x 15 feet range. Of course mainly HO and N, with a few G, S, O and.......One in Z!!!!!

                                                The Z scale trackplans depicts Utah Railway, and the author emphasizes about Z scale's latest years enhancement. He speeks of the fast improving choice of rolling stock and track system, and he speaks of the availability of modern and various motive power (AZL's and MTL's).

                                                The only drawback beeing in my opinion the author's statement about unability with Z scale to perform switching duties. Certainly Mr Kempinski hasn't seen yet a Z scale GP35 crawling with a Passmann or Zthek controller.

                                                But anyway, It's interresting enough to be emphasized, provided Z scale shouldn't have been even spoken about only a very few years ago in such a publication....

                                                Dom

                                                >OK. Great! Still just waiting for this issue, but every month MR arrives >at my home later.... Go figure!
                                                >Dom

                                              • John Mui
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 6, 2008
                                                  Dom, I don't think slow speed with a GP35 is what he is referring to...I
                                                  think it is the inability so far to easily couple and uncouple cars, a major
                                                  concern where switching operations are concerned. I know many in the
                                                  Z-scale community are working on the issue, but so far the solution seems
                                                  out of reach...maybe next year, and hope.

                                                  Michael

                                                  Micheal, I dont have problem coupling and uncoupling using MTL couplers and
                                                  uncouplers, but its not easy. Every coupler needs to be tested to make sure
                                                  they operate correctly. You also need to know which is the best switching
                                                  speed, and where is the best spot to stop under the magnet. When everything
                                                  is working like it suppose to, its magic.

                                                  John

                                                  7:58 AM

                                                  7:58 AM

                                                • de Champeaux Dominique
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008

                                                    That's true. In my opinion one should carefully trim and set trip pins on MTL couplers, using MTL's dedicated tool, and when properly set it works flawlessly. The only issue beeing magnets inserted on a main track, but I bet that's the same problem with every scale, from G to Z.

                                                    (A few weeks ago I had some issues in that prospect, but I guess I will solve them using Kadee electromagnets.)
                                                  • jworones
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                                      Very impressive workmanship.

                                                      Is that white 'Route-Rock' boxcar a MTL issue?
                                                      If not, anyone know who made the decals?

                                                      Thanks!
                                                      Jeff

                                                      Jeff Worones
                                                      Seattle WA

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 7, 2008
                                                        Jeff, the decals are custom made by Tom. I email him to see if I can
                                                        purchase them, but I never got a reply.

                                                        John