Re: MTL uncouplers

  • David K. Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2008
      Dom--

      If you're handy, you might consider the drop-down uncoupler described
      near the end of this article:

      http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_30.htm

      The article is about N scale uncouplers, but I have every reason to
      believe they should work in Z scale as well.

      --David

      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      http://1-220.blogspot.com/

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
      <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

      > Hi all!
      >
      > On the small layout I'm workin' on, I deliberately wanted to insert
      MTL uncouplers on my main line. Result, I'm removing them due to too
      many unwanted uncoupling issues.

      > But if it's necessary for flawlessly running operations, it's an
      issue as it prevents me from performing switching operations.

      > So today my question is: are there any electromagnetic uncouplers
      available "ready to run", although a few years ZTrack as well as
      Model Railroader wrote articles about scratchbuilding of electro-
      magnets.

      > Furthermore, my goal should be putting the electromagnets about 3/4
      inches lower than my track as itself is fairly higher than the
      benchwork at the requested location.

      > Thanks for any help,
      >
      > Dom

    • Garth Hamilton
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2008
        Hi ALex;

        David's message to Dom says it all. While mine is not exactly the
        same this is where the idea came from. The unit in use here is the
        N-scale under track unit and I find they work even when cut in half.
        But you have to be careful that you don't cut the magnet the wrong
        way. N and S are cross track alignment not in line with the track. I
        have even found the regular N-scale magnet cut in half works fine
        under the roadbed in Z and N. In Z I usually have just 1/8 plywood
        and cork between rail and magnet when raised into position and with
        road bed track just 1/8 ply between that roadbed and the magnet.

        To set it up I usually build the trap first and attach it to the
        layout and when it is working then I add the magnet making sure it is
        properly aligned with the track. If it off to one side they do not
        work very well or reliably. Once I have found the spot I use contact
        cement to hold it in place.

        cheers
        Garth

        At 02:25 PM 10/6/2008, "David K. Smith" david@... wrote:

        >Dom--
        >
        >If you're handy, you might consider the drop-down uncoupler described
        >near the end of this article:
        >
        >http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_30.htm
        >
        >The article is about N scale uncouplers, but I have every reason to
        >believe they should work in Z scale as well.
        >
        >--David
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2008
          Thanks David! But it won't work for me as at the location where I planned to put the uncouplers the benchwork and the subroadbed are linked together with a full depth piece of wood, approximatively 1 inch high. So I must comply with electromagnet technology as the devices will be put underthe benchwork, more than 1 inch below rails...

          <ddechamp71@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi all!
          >
          > On the small layout I'm workin' on, I deliberately wanted to insert
          MTL uncouplers on my main line. Result, I'm removing them due to too
          many unwanted uncoupling issues.

          > But if it's necessary for flawlessly running operations, it's an
          issue as it prevents me from performing switching operations.

          > So today my question is: are there any electromagnetic uncouplers
          available "ready to run", although a few years ZTrack as well as
          Model Railroader wrote articles about scratchbuilding of electro-
          magnets.

          > Furthermore, my goal should be putting the electromagnets about 3/4
          inches lower than my track as itself is fairly higher than the
          benchwork at the requested location.

          > Thanks for any help,
          >
          > Dom

        • Ellsworth Geib
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2008
            Thanks for the site reference David. That's an interesting solution. The sketches are pretty
            clear.

            Ell Geib

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

            > Dom--
            >
            > If you're handy, you might consider the drop-down uncoupler described
            > near the end of this article:
            >
            > http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_30.htm
            >
            > The article is about N scale uncouplers, but I have every reason to
            > believe they should work in Z scale as well.
            >
            > --David
            >
            > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
            > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
            > <ddechamp71@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi all!
            > >
            > > On the small layout I'm workin' on, I deliberately wanted to insert
            > MTL uncouplers on my main line. Result, I'm removing them due to too
            > many unwanted uncoupling issues.
            > >
            > > But if it's necessary for flawlessly running operations, it's an
            > issue as it prevents me from performing switching operations.
            > >
            > > So today my question is: are there any electromagnetic uncouplers
            > available "ready to run", although a few years ZTrack as well as
            > Model Railroader wrote articles about scratchbuilding of electro-
            > magnets.
            > >
            > > Furthermore, my goal should be putting the electromagnets about 3/4
            > inches lower than my track as itself is fairly higher than the
            > benchwork at the requested location.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help,
            > >
            > > Dom

          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2008
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

              > If you're handy, you might consider the drop-down uncoupler described
              > near the end of this article:
              >
              > http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_30.htm
              >
              > The article is about N scale uncouplers, but I have every reason to
              > believe they should work in Z scale as well.

              I remember reading this article in MR magazine, and thought at the time
              what a great idea.

              On re-reading, I still think what a great idea.

              Unwanted uncoupling over the magnet can be caused by accordianing,
              where the rear of the train jitters back and forth and slackens
              couplers. If slackened over the magnet they will incouple. Before
              going to electromagnets, try the MTL retarding springs on 1 or 2 axles
              of the last car. These add just enough drag to keep the train
              stretched out and couplers tight. Tight couplers should ignore the
              magnet.
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2008
                >Now to get better operation I removed
                >the magnets on the main line and install them just inside the turnout
                >on sidings.

                Thank you to all of you who gave me replies guys! Indeed I believe one of the keys is not to insert magnets on main line. As my trackwork doesn't allow me to install rocking magnets (ie around an horizontal axle oriented like the track), I will try electro-magnets. Now as a standby back-up method I have a toothpick that works well!

                Dom
              • Alex
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 10, 2008
                  Joe,

                  I never saw your reply to Dom about offering the official MTL ideas
                  about uncoupling.

                  Alex
                  Tokyo, Japan

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                  > Dom,
                  >
                  > Sorry to hear you are having problems. I'm a bit short of time right
                  > now, but will get back to you on Monday from the office where I can
                  > give you some ideas on how to correct the issues you are having.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Joe
                  > MTL
                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 20, 2008
                    Joe DAmato,

                    Unless I missed it... I never saw any reply with your ideas about
                    this issue Dominique was having.

                    I know you are busy, but please share any solutions.

                    Thank you,