Thomas...Re: Secondhand dealers in Switzerland

  • kz3dx
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Thomas,

      The shop at the rail station in Meggen is almost all second hand items.

      I have also heard of a shop in St. Gallen that sells secondhand Z. I
      have never been there and won't have an opportunity to do so on this trip.

      Bill

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Habrik" <teaage@...> wrote:

      > I am not aware of any 2nd hand dealer over here in Switzerland.
      > Not all dealers to have Z in their shops.
      > You find the full list of all Marklin dealers in Switzerland here:
      >
      > shop in shop: http://www.maerklin.ch/handler/shops-fachhandel-index
      > all other Marklin shops:
      > http://www.maerklin.ch/handler/shops-fachhandel-index/haendler
      >
      > In Zurich, Eisenbahn Center and Roundhouse does have a bit of Z, but
      no 2nd
      > hand. I am not aware of that the other dealers do have Z.
      > Most of the standard stuff I am buying via ebay.de in Germany, since
      you can
      > hardly find any Z here in Switzerland.
      >
      > Have fun over here!
      >
      > Thomas
      > Switzerland

      Auftrag von
      > kz3dx
      > Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. September 2008 17:16
      > An: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      > Betreff: [Z_Scale] Secondhand dealers in Switzerland
      >

      > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to visit
      > some secondhand Z dealers.
      >
      > I will be in the following cities:
      >
      > Lausanne
      > VeVey
      > Montreux
      > Chur
      > Zurich
      >
      > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
      > appreciate it if you would let me know.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Bill

      30.09.2008
      > 19:08

    • Jens Wimmel
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
        Bill,

        nice, that you want to visit switzerland and Chur.
        If you want to visit me, please let me know when, and I'll try to have
        time for you.

        There is a train fair in a village called Bauma at october 10th to 12th,
        where you can meet me and Harald Freudenreich (FR Model).
        http://www.kleinserie.ch/
        There are items of Harald, SZL, Z-Modellbau and ZettZeit Specials for sale.

        In Chur we have our TrainTreff exhibition at october 25 and 26. There
        are some nice Z scale layouts and some new Maerklin Z items from
        http://www.toyshop.ch/ for half-price sale!

        Are you looking for some especial Maerklin stuff? Maybe I can help
        you...let me know!

        Best regards,

        Jens

        www.zettzeit.ch

        kz3dx schrieb:
        > Hi Dave,
        >
        > Thank you. I did not know about Jens Wemmel's shop. I will go by there.
        >
        > I was also not aware of z-friendsEurope.
        >

        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Bill
      • kz3dx
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hallo Jens,

          Thank you for the email.

          I arrive in Switzerland on 11 October and will have meetings that
          afternoon and all day on the 12th.

          I will be in Chur on 22 October. I have one meeting scheduled and I
          don't know how long that will last.

          If you are located in or close to the city center, I will try to visit
          your shop.

          Unfortunately, I will depart Switzerland on 23 October.

          Viele Grüsse aus Florida.

          Bill Erfurth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jens Wimmel <jens.wimmel@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > nice, that you want to visit switzerland and Chur.
          > If you want to visit me, please let me know when, and I'll try to have
          > time for you.
          >
          > There is a train fair in a village called Bauma at october 10th to
          12th,
          > where you can meet me and Harald Freudenreich (FR Model).
          > http://www.kleinserie.ch/
          > There are items of Harald, SZL, Z-Modellbau and ZettZeit Specials
          for sale.

          > In Chur we have our TrainTreff exhibition at october 25 and 26. There
          > are some nice Z scale layouts and some new Maerklin Z items from
          > http://www.toyshop.ch/ for half-price sale!
          >
          > Are you looking for some especial Maerklin stuff? Maybe I can help
          > you...let me know!
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Jens
          >
          > www.zettzeit.ch
          >

          > kz3dx schrieb:
          > > Hi Dave,
          > >
          > > Thank you. I did not know about Jens Wemmel's shop. I will go by
          there.

          > > I was also not aware of z-friendsEurope.
          > >

          > > Kind regards,
          > >
          > > Bill

        • mompey
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kz3dx" <kz3dx@...> wrote:

            > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to
            visit
            > some secondhand Z dealers.
            >
            > I will be in the following cities:
            >
            > Lausanne
            > VeVey
            > Montreux
            > Chur
            > Zurich
            >
            > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
            > appreciate it if you would let me know.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Bill

            HI Bill

            We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne Switzerland
            visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the train
            station, but no Z scale, when your there (In Lausanne) make sure you
            go to the transport museum there is a HO layout and a great
            collection of the 1:1 gauge.

            I have found e-bay to be the best value, European hobby shops arnt
            the cheapest.

            Have a good trip.
            Mike.
          • kz3dx
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2008
              Hi Mike,

              Thanks for the reply.

              I am familiar with the little shop that is around the corner from the
              train station in Lucerne, Switzerland, but not the one in Laussane.

              I think the transportation museum you are referring to is in Lucerne.
              And, yes I visit it every time I am there. They have moved the
              layout to a new location and appear to have expanded it, from my visit
              two years ago.

              The other thing that I visit at the museum is the Amateur Radio Station.

              I have always been quite lucky finding deals on Z in Switzerland.
              Because of my killer schedule on this trip, I was not able to visit
              any train stores.

              But, in the past I have gotten great deals at the Zurich modellbahn swap.

              There is a guy who has a store at the train station at Meggen,
              Swtizerland. Meggen is about 5 minutes (by train) from Lucerne on the
              north side of the lake. His shop is in the same building as the train
              station. He has a lot of used trains. Some of the items are not
              priced, but the owner speaks English so all you have to do is ask. I
              have gotten some really great deal at this place. Plus it is a very
              nice convenient shop to visit.

              Another place where I have found a lot of Z at great prices is at the
              modellbahn swap at Radolfzell. This is a small town on the German
              Swiss boarder just east of Schaffhausen, Switzerland. It is only held
              about three or four times a year, but if you are in the area when it
              is held, it will be well worth you time to attend.

              The exchange rate for the Dollar (US and Canada) and the Swiss Franc
              is very favorable. In fact, Switzerland is quite a bargain right now.

              Bill

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@...> wrote:

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kz3dx" <kz3dx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to
              > visit
              > > some secondhand Z dealers.
              > >
              > > I will be in the following cities:
              > >
              > > Lausanne
              > > VeVey
              > > Montreux
              > > Chur
              > > Zurich
              > >
              > > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
              > > appreciate it if you would let me know.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Bill
              > >

              > HI Bill
              >
              > We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne Switzerland
              > visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the train
              > station, but no Z scale, when your there (In Lausanne) make sure you
              > go to the transport museum there is a HO layout and a great
              > collection of the 1:1 gauge.
              >
              > I have found e-bay to be the best value, European hobby shops arnt
              > the cheapest.
              >
              > Have a good trip.
              > Mike.

            • Jeff BAZ-man
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2008
                All, great info ! I have an office in Balzers, Liechtenstein I
                visit 1-2x per year with several colleages living in Chur where we
                often eat (and drink :) I have visted Jürg and Daniel but would like
                to see some train shops next time. Many are small and of course few
                have Z but I am more interested in the shops.

                I've noted all the recommendations for the next holiday travel,
                likely March this time.

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

              • kz3dx
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Hi Jeff,

                  Boy, if you have an office in Balzers, I have a great restaurant for
                  you that is quite close.

                  Take the road out of Balzers that goes east over the hill to
                  Maienfeld, CH. It is a wonderful drive. At the top of the hill is
                  this medevil fort with a Roman arch you drive through. The fort is
                  now used by the Swiss Army.

                  Just as you are coming into the village, there is an 12 century castle
                  on your right. It sits back off of the road and is a little difficult
                  to see...but not hard to find. They have a restaurant on the second
                  floor that has the best food you have ever eaten in your life. It is
                  kind of a local place, but people come from all over the eat there.

                  My second tip, of which you may already be aware, is try flying Swiss
                  International Airways. I have never flown Swiss before for long-haul
                  flights. I usually fly Lufthansa. I was impressed. Between Zurich
                  and Chicago, they fed us 40 or 5 times. The food was excellent. The
                  flight attendants acted like they really enjoyed their jobs. The
                  flight was good, slow flat turns and slow descents. It was better
                  then Lufthansa.

                  Maybe we should start a Marklin Z travel group.

                  Bill

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff BAZ-man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > is held, it will be well worth you time to attend.
                  > >
                  > > The exchange rate for the Dollar (US and Canada) and the Swiss Franc
                  > > is very favorable. In fact, Switzerland is quite a bargain right
                  > now.
                  > >
                  > > Bill

                  > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@> wrote:

                  > > > visit

                  > > > HI Bill
                  > > >
                  > > > We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne
                  > Switzerland
                  > > > visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the
                  > train
                  > > > station, but no Z scale, when your there (In Lausanne) make sure
                  > you
                  > > > go to the transport museum there is a HO layout and a great
                  > > > collection of the 1:1 gauge.
                  > > >
                  > > > I have found e-bay to be the best value, European hobby shops

                • John Mui
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                    My second tip, of which you may already be aware, is try flying Swiss
                    International Airways. I have never flown Swiss before for long-haul
                    flights. I usually fly Lufthansa. I was impressed. Between Zurich
                    and Chicago, they fed us 40 or 5 times. The food was excellent. The
                    flight attendants acted like they really enjoyed their jobs. The
                    flight was good, slow flat turns and slow descents. It was better
                    then Lufthansa.

                    Maybe we should start a Marklin Z travel group.

                    Bill

                    Bill, I had similar experience flying Cathay Pacific, and the food was
                    actually delicious. When flying to a international destination, I always
                    choose a foreign carrier. You dont get service from a American carrier
                    anymore. While in Hong Kong, I did find a hobby shop that carries z stuff,
                    but it was more expensive.

                    John
                  • Jeff BAZ-man
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                      There are several great restaurants in Maienfeld. In the square,
                      there is a restaurant who's owner was working in Newport Beach, CA
                      for 1-1/2 years where another of our offices are. His favorite
                      hangout was ours: Blackie's. So he cleared out all the 70 year olds
                      and cleared the menu to cook us whatever we wanted. Then we spend
                      the rest of the night drinking the primo Grappa, all on the house !
                      We brought him more customers, a new collection of Blackie's T-
                      shirts. There are some great places in Vaduz, Triesen, Bad Ragaz and
                      especially in Chur. I love old towns.

                      Looks like I'll be over there the first week of December.

                      What do you do over there ? I work for a vacuum instrumentation
                      company. And I take it from your forum 'name' that you are also a
                      ham radio operator like me.

                      Jeff

                    • kz3dx
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                        Hi Jeff,

                        Yes, I am a ham also. Hey, the other day I heard that the HB9O
                        station in the transportation museum in Luzern is closed. I was just
                        there a couple weeks ago and it was open.

                        I do Internet marketing for several companies, a couple of which are
                        involved with European tourism. I just returned from two weeks in
                        Switzerland. The first week was a meeting with the Switzerland
                        tourism people. The second week I was meeting with people in Zermatt,
                        St. Moritz and Chur that I needed to see. I did the the whole thing
                        on a Swiss Rail Pass. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

                        There is a great hotel in the old town of Chur. The Zunfthaus zur
                        Rebleuten. Typical small Swiss family owned hotel in a 14th century
                        building. Fantastic restaurant. No lift. About a 5 or 7 minute walk
                        from the train station. There is also suppose to be a good Z shop in
                        Chur, but I did not have time to go there.

                        Speaking of old towns, I had a chance to spend some time in old town
                        Bern. Really great place. While I was there I went to Einstein's
                        apartment (flat). It is amazing, that while living in this small
                        flat, with a tiny desk, he was able to churn out five of his most
                        important papers, while he was, working full time at the patent
                        office, and had a baby he took care of while his wife worked. All
                        this in one year...1905.

                        I too have another meeting there in mid December, but I just don't
                        think I will be able to make it. I am just overwhelmed right now.

                        Z scale tip. If you can work it into your schedule, plan your trip
                        around the modellbahn swap in Houten in the Netherlands. They hold it
                        about 4 or 5 times a year. It is the size of 2 or 3 football fields,
                        all inside with hundreds of people selling nothing but model trains.
                        You will see Z scale stuff there that you never knew existed. The
                        prices range from average to dirt cheap. Most of the sellers are
                        individuals who have a little train business going on the side.
                        People come from all over the world to attend this swap.

                        Bill

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff BAZ-man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

                        > There are several great restaurants in Maienfeld. In the square,
                        > there is a restaurant who's owner was working in Newport Beach, CA
                        > for 1-1/2 years where another of our offices are. His favorite
                        > hangout was ours: Blackie's. So he cleared out all the 70 year olds
                        > and cleared the menu to cook us whatever we wanted. Then we spend
                        > the rest of the night drinking the primo Grappa, all on the house !
                        > We brought him more customers, a new collection of Blackie's T-
                        > shirts. There are some great places in Vaduz, Triesen, Bad Ragaz and
                        > especially in Chur. I love old towns.
                        >
                        > Looks like I'll be over there the first week of December.
                        >
                        > What do you do over there ? I work for a vacuum instrumentation
                        > company. And I take it from your forum 'name' that you are also a
                        > ham radio operator like me.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                      • Uwe Liermann
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                          Hello Jeff,

                          sorry for capturing Bills message, but I've had some trouble with my
                          software, and this killed the references of the mails in a certain
                          time frame...

                          Jeff you wrote:

                          > I work for a vacuum instrumentation company.

                          Is this Balzers in Balzers, Lichtenstein? Then I know at least some of
                          your products, since I work in the coating department at a tool
                          manufacturer. I've been twice down in Balzers for operator training.

                          --
                          GreetingZ
                          Uwe
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                            wrote:
                            > What do you do over there ? I work for a vacuum instrumentation
                            > company. And I take it from your forum 'name' that you are also a
                            > ham radio operator like me.
                            > Jeff

                            CQ CQ Jeff, you bring up an interesting point. Many Z Scale list
                            members are/were ham radio operators. Other model rail lists and
                            scales likewise. Both these hobbies are 'hands-on' and appeal to
                            those who like to build things.

                            I've set up a folder in the Files section called "Other Hobbies of
                            List Members". Could be fun for list members to add their other
                            hobby interests into this folder to see what else we all have in
                            common besides rairoad scale modelling.

                            Some hobby folders are already created, anyone with a different hobby
                            who wants to add it just create another folder and text away.

                            dahdahdididit dididitdahdah
                          • Jens Wimmel
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                              Jeff and Bill,

                              it's really interesting for me to reading your dicussion about my
                              hometown and -region ;-)
                              It would be great to meet you once here in Chur. We should try it once.

                              The shop in Chur, my opinion, is not very special. No reason for a
                              visit. But I'm sure I can show you some interesting Z scale things and
                              other model railways if you want and have time...

                              Jens

                              www.zettzeit.ch

                            • David Phillips
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 10, 2008
                                Funny you should mention ham radio; I'm a ham wannabe, studying to take my first test. I
                                wondered if model trains and ham radio were compatible hobbies, and I guess they are!.
                              • ronaldjhurley
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 11, 2008
                                  Long ago I was K1FKG.... not relevant to anything but I haven't typed my call letters in so
                                  long.... other hams can probably tell from the letters how long! Thanks for indulging me...
                                  now back to your regularly scheduled programing!

                                  ron
                                • FR.model@t-online.de
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                                    "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> schrieb:

                                    Long ago I was K1FKG....

                                    Long ago (in the 1970ies) I was DM2CGA, later Y23GA and in the 1990ies DL9GHF.
                                    Now model railroad business occupies all my time and I have returned my licence to the authority.

                                    Back to Z-scale: The Ztrack subscriber car (56' TTX Husky) is in progress as well as another
                                    release of 53' plastic containers with new names: SWIFT, APL, CSX blue, AML, Hub

                                    The next Swiss Ae3/5 electric motors come in January. Ballast cars Xds72 SOB come in December.

                                    Harald

                                    NowLL_,_._,___

                                    --
                                    FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK