Dave...Re: Secondhand dealers in Switzerland

  • kz3dx
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Dave,

      Thank you. I did not know about Jens Wemmel's shop. I will go by there.

      I was also not aware of z-friendsEurope.

      Kind regards,

      Bill

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David George" <dgeorge24619@...> wrote:

      > Both Chur and Zurich have modelbahn dealers , but I don't know about
      2nd 'handers'.
      > Jens Wemmel, in Chur, may be able to help you out on this.
      > Contact Z-friendsEurope.
      > Cordially,
      > Mister Dave

    • kz3dx
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
        Hi Daniel,

        Thank you for your reply.

        I am looking for Marklin Z.

        I am usually able to buy a number of Marklin Z items from the chap who
        runs the modelbahn shop at the rail station in Meggen. I can't
        remember his name, but he has a wonderful shop and all of his items
        are in like new condition.

        Meggen is just a little east of Luzern on the lake and the shop is at
        the rail station. Unfortunately I will not be able to visit his shop
        on this trip.

        Yes, I know there is that modelbahnn swap on Saturday October 18 in
        the town just east of Zurich, but I will be in Zermatt at that time.
        The swap (fair) at Rodolfzell in Germany, just across the border, is
        just great. I have bought boxes of Z there.

        Bill

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Baechtold"
        <daniel.baechtold@...> wrote:

        > Bill
        >
        > what are you looking for? maerklin or MTL,AZL&other american stuff?
        >
        > MTL AZL etc is only available over ebay.ch (if there is one or two
        pieces on it)
        > You can find maerklin with ebay.ch, ricardo.ch, piazza.ch. I think
        the most of secondhand stuff goes electronically, especially z scale!
        I don't know any secondhand dealer which has z scale, neither in other
        cities...

        > If you're lucky and have plenty of time, you could find maerklin
        stuff on a fair, like the swisstoy
        (http://www.suissetoy.ch/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-422/), but don't
        count on it.
        > Switzerland is just to small to have a big z scale market....(beside
        Jürg and me, hehe)

        > Daniel
        >

        > > 3. Secondhand dealers in Switzerland
        > > Posted by: "kz3dx" kz3dx@... kz3dx
        > > Date: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:16 am ((PDT))
        > >
        > > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to visit
        > > some secondhand Z dealers.
        > >
        > > I will be in the following cities:
        > >
        > > Lausanne
        > > VeVey
        > > Montreux
        > > Chur
        > > Zurich
        > >
        > > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
        > > appreciate it if you would let me know.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Bill
        >
        > --
        > daniel baechtold
        > ahornstrasse 3
        > ch-4313 moehlin
        >
        > daniel.baechtold@...
        > http://www.caribou.lake.ch.vu/
        >
        > GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
        > Jetzt dabei sein:
        http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

      • kz3dx
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hi Thomas,

          The shop at the rail station in Meggen is almost all second hand items.

          I have also heard of a shop in St. Gallen that sells secondhand Z. I
          have never been there and won't have an opportunity to do so on this trip.

          Bill

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Habrik" <teaage@...> wrote:

          > I am not aware of any 2nd hand dealer over here in Switzerland.
          > Not all dealers to have Z in their shops.
          > You find the full list of all Marklin dealers in Switzerland here:
          >
          > shop in shop: http://www.maerklin.ch/handler/shops-fachhandel-index
          > all other Marklin shops:
          > http://www.maerklin.ch/handler/shops-fachhandel-index/haendler
          >
          > In Zurich, Eisenbahn Center and Roundhouse does have a bit of Z, but
          no 2nd
          > hand. I am not aware of that the other dealers do have Z.
          > Most of the standard stuff I am buying via ebay.de in Germany, since
          you can
          > hardly find any Z here in Switzerland.
          >
          > Have fun over here!
          >
          > Thomas
          > Switzerland

          Auftrag von
          > kz3dx
          > Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. September 2008 17:16
          > An: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          > Betreff: [Z_Scale] Secondhand dealers in Switzerland
          >

          > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to visit
          > some secondhand Z dealers.
          >
          > I will be in the following cities:
          >
          > Lausanne
          > VeVey
          > Montreux
          > Chur
          > Zurich
          >
          > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
          > appreciate it if you would let me know.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Bill

          30.09.2008
          > 19:08

        • Jens Wimmel
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
            Bill,

            nice, that you want to visit switzerland and Chur.
            If you want to visit me, please let me know when, and I'll try to have
            time for you.

            There is a train fair in a village called Bauma at october 10th to 12th,
            where you can meet me and Harald Freudenreich (FR Model).
            http://www.kleinserie.ch/
            There are items of Harald, SZL, Z-Modellbau and ZettZeit Specials for sale.

            In Chur we have our TrainTreff exhibition at october 25 and 26. There
            are some nice Z scale layouts and some new Maerklin Z items from
            http://www.toyshop.ch/ for half-price sale!

            Are you looking for some especial Maerklin stuff? Maybe I can help
            you...let me know!

            Best regards,

            Jens

            www.zettzeit.ch

            kz3dx schrieb:
            > Hi Dave,
            >
            > Thank you. I did not know about Jens Wemmel's shop. I will go by there.
            >
            > I was also not aware of z-friendsEurope.
            >

            > Kind regards,
            >
            > Bill
          • kz3dx
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
              Hallo Jens,

              Thank you for the email.

              I arrive in Switzerland on 11 October and will have meetings that
              afternoon and all day on the 12th.

              I will be in Chur on 22 October. I have one meeting scheduled and I
              don't know how long that will last.

              If you are located in or close to the city center, I will try to visit
              your shop.

              Unfortunately, I will depart Switzerland on 23 October.

              Viele Grüsse aus Florida.

              Bill Erfurth

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jens Wimmel <jens.wimmel@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > nice, that you want to visit switzerland and Chur.
              > If you want to visit me, please let me know when, and I'll try to have
              > time for you.
              >
              > There is a train fair in a village called Bauma at october 10th to
              12th,
              > where you can meet me and Harald Freudenreich (FR Model).
              > http://www.kleinserie.ch/
              > There are items of Harald, SZL, Z-Modellbau and ZettZeit Specials
              for sale.

              > In Chur we have our TrainTreff exhibition at october 25 and 26. There
              > are some nice Z scale layouts and some new Maerklin Z items from
              > http://www.toyshop.ch/ for half-price sale!
              >
              > Are you looking for some especial Maerklin stuff? Maybe I can help
              > you...let me know!
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Jens
              >
              > www.zettzeit.ch
              >

              > kz3dx schrieb:
              > > Hi Dave,
              > >
              > > Thank you. I did not know about Jens Wemmel's shop. I will go by
              there.

              > > I was also not aware of z-friendsEurope.
              > >

              > > Kind regards,
              > >
              > > Bill

            • mompey
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kz3dx" <kz3dx@...> wrote:

                > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to
                visit
                > some secondhand Z dealers.
                >
                > I will be in the following cities:
                >
                > Lausanne
                > VeVey
                > Montreux
                > Chur
                > Zurich
                >
                > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
                > appreciate it if you would let me know.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Bill

                HI Bill

                We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne Switzerland
                visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the train
                station, but no Z scale, when your there (In Lausanne) make sure you
                go to the transport museum there is a HO layout and a great
                collection of the 1:1 gauge.

                I have found e-bay to be the best value, European hobby shops arnt
                the cheapest.

                Have a good trip.
                Mike.
              • kz3dx
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2008
                  Hi Mike,

                  Thanks for the reply.

                  I am familiar with the little shop that is around the corner from the
                  train station in Lucerne, Switzerland, but not the one in Laussane.

                  I think the transportation museum you are referring to is in Lucerne.
                  And, yes I visit it every time I am there. They have moved the
                  layout to a new location and appear to have expanded it, from my visit
                  two years ago.

                  The other thing that I visit at the museum is the Amateur Radio Station.

                  I have always been quite lucky finding deals on Z in Switzerland.
                  Because of my killer schedule on this trip, I was not able to visit
                  any train stores.

                  But, in the past I have gotten great deals at the Zurich modellbahn swap.

                  There is a guy who has a store at the train station at Meggen,
                  Swtizerland. Meggen is about 5 minutes (by train) from Lucerne on the
                  north side of the lake. His shop is in the same building as the train
                  station. He has a lot of used trains. Some of the items are not
                  priced, but the owner speaks English so all you have to do is ask. I
                  have gotten some really great deal at this place. Plus it is a very
                  nice convenient shop to visit.

                  Another place where I have found a lot of Z at great prices is at the
                  modellbahn swap at Radolfzell. This is a small town on the German
                  Swiss boarder just east of Schaffhausen, Switzerland. It is only held
                  about three or four times a year, but if you are in the area when it
                  is held, it will be well worth you time to attend.

                  The exchange rate for the Dollar (US and Canada) and the Swiss Franc
                  is very favorable. In fact, Switzerland is quite a bargain right now.

                  Bill

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@...> wrote:

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kz3dx" <kz3dx@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I will be in Switzerland for a couple weeks and I would like to
                  > visit
                  > > some secondhand Z dealers.
                  > >
                  > > I will be in the following cities:
                  > >
                  > > Lausanne
                  > > VeVey
                  > > Montreux
                  > > Chur
                  > > Zurich
                  > >
                  > > If you know of any secondhand Z dealers in these cities I would
                  > > appreciate it if you would let me know.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Bill
                  > >

                  > HI Bill
                  >
                  > We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne Switzerland
                  > visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the train
                  > station, but no Z scale, when your there (In Lausanne) make sure you
                  > go to the transport museum there is a HO layout and a great
                  > collection of the 1:1 gauge.
                  >
                  > I have found e-bay to be the best value, European hobby shops arnt
                  > the cheapest.
                  >
                  > Have a good trip.
                  > Mike.

                • Jeff BAZ-man
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2008
                    All, great info ! I have an office in Balzers, Liechtenstein I
                    visit 1-2x per year with several colleages living in Chur where we
                    often eat (and drink :) I have visted Jürg and Daniel but would like
                    to see some train shops next time. Many are small and of course few
                    have Z but I am more interested in the shops.

                    I've noted all the recommendations for the next holiday travel,
                    likely March this time.

                    Jeff
                    SF Bay Area Z

                  • kz3dx
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Hi Jeff,

                      Boy, if you have an office in Balzers, I have a great restaurant for
                      you that is quite close.

                      Take the road out of Balzers that goes east over the hill to
                      Maienfeld, CH. It is a wonderful drive. At the top of the hill is
                      this medevil fort with a Roman arch you drive through. The fort is
                      now used by the Swiss Army.

                      Just as you are coming into the village, there is an 12 century castle
                      on your right. It sits back off of the road and is a little difficult
                      to see...but not hard to find. They have a restaurant on the second
                      floor that has the best food you have ever eaten in your life. It is
                      kind of a local place, but people come from all over the eat there.

                      My second tip, of which you may already be aware, is try flying Swiss
                      International Airways. I have never flown Swiss before for long-haul
                      flights. I usually fly Lufthansa. I was impressed. Between Zurich
                      and Chicago, they fed us 40 or 5 times. The food was excellent. The
                      flight attendants acted like they really enjoyed their jobs. The
                      flight was good, slow flat turns and slow descents. It was better
                      then Lufthansa.

                      Maybe we should start a Marklin Z travel group.

                      Bill

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff BAZ-man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > is held, it will be well worth you time to attend.
                      > >
                      > > The exchange rate for the Dollar (US and Canada) and the Swiss Franc
                      > > is very favorable. In fact, Switzerland is quite a bargain right
                      > now.
                      > >
                      > > Bill

                      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@> wrote:

                      > > > visit

                      > > > HI Bill
                      > > >
                      > > > We were in Europe in March this year and when in Lausanne
                      > Switzerland
                      > > > visited a small little hobby shop around the corner from the
                      > train
                      > > > station, but no Z scale, when your there (In Lausanne) make sure
                      > you
                      > > > go to the transport museum there is a HO layout and a great
                      > > > collection of the 1:1 gauge.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have found e-bay to be the best value, European hobby shops

                    • John Mui
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                        My second tip, of which you may already be aware, is try flying Swiss
                        International Airways. I have never flown Swiss before for long-haul
                        flights. I usually fly Lufthansa. I was impressed. Between Zurich
                        and Chicago, they fed us 40 or 5 times. The food was excellent. The
                        flight attendants acted like they really enjoyed their jobs. The
                        flight was good, slow flat turns and slow descents. It was better
                        then Lufthansa.

                        Maybe we should start a Marklin Z travel group.

                        Bill

                        Bill, I had similar experience flying Cathay Pacific, and the food was
                        actually delicious. When flying to a international destination, I always
                        choose a foreign carrier. You dont get service from a American carrier
                        anymore. While in Hong Kong, I did find a hobby shop that carries z stuff,
                        but it was more expensive.

                        John
                      • Jeff BAZ-man
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                          There are several great restaurants in Maienfeld. In the square,
                          there is a restaurant who's owner was working in Newport Beach, CA
                          for 1-1/2 years where another of our offices are. His favorite
                          hangout was ours: Blackie's. So he cleared out all the 70 year olds
                          and cleared the menu to cook us whatever we wanted. Then we spend
                          the rest of the night drinking the primo Grappa, all on the house !
                          We brought him more customers, a new collection of Blackie's T-
                          shirts. There are some great places in Vaduz, Triesen, Bad Ragaz and
                          especially in Chur. I love old towns.

                          Looks like I'll be over there the first week of December.

                          What do you do over there ? I work for a vacuum instrumentation
                          company. And I take it from your forum 'name' that you are also a
                          ham radio operator like me.

                          Jeff

                        • kz3dx
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                            Hi Jeff,

                            Yes, I am a ham also. Hey, the other day I heard that the HB9O
                            station in the transportation museum in Luzern is closed. I was just
                            there a couple weeks ago and it was open.

                            I do Internet marketing for several companies, a couple of which are
                            involved with European tourism. I just returned from two weeks in
                            Switzerland. The first week was a meeting with the Switzerland
                            tourism people. The second week I was meeting with people in Zermatt,
                            St. Moritz and Chur that I needed to see. I did the the whole thing
                            on a Swiss Rail Pass. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

                            There is a great hotel in the old town of Chur. The Zunfthaus zur
                            Rebleuten. Typical small Swiss family owned hotel in a 14th century
                            building. Fantastic restaurant. No lift. About a 5 or 7 minute walk
                            from the train station. There is also suppose to be a good Z shop in
                            Chur, but I did not have time to go there.

                            Speaking of old towns, I had a chance to spend some time in old town
                            Bern. Really great place. While I was there I went to Einstein's
                            apartment (flat). It is amazing, that while living in this small
                            flat, with a tiny desk, he was able to churn out five of his most
                            important papers, while he was, working full time at the patent
                            office, and had a baby he took care of while his wife worked. All
                            this in one year...1905.

                            I too have another meeting there in mid December, but I just don't
                            think I will be able to make it. I am just overwhelmed right now.

                            Z scale tip. If you can work it into your schedule, plan your trip
                            around the modellbahn swap in Houten in the Netherlands. They hold it
                            about 4 or 5 times a year. It is the size of 2 or 3 football fields,
                            all inside with hundreds of people selling nothing but model trains.
                            You will see Z scale stuff there that you never knew existed. The
                            prices range from average to dirt cheap. Most of the sellers are
                            individuals who have a little train business going on the side.
                            People come from all over the world to attend this swap.

                            Bill

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff BAZ-man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

                            > There are several great restaurants in Maienfeld. In the square,
                            > there is a restaurant who's owner was working in Newport Beach, CA
                            > for 1-1/2 years where another of our offices are. His favorite
                            > hangout was ours: Blackie's. So he cleared out all the 70 year olds
                            > and cleared the menu to cook us whatever we wanted. Then we spend
                            > the rest of the night drinking the primo Grappa, all on the house !
                            > We brought him more customers, a new collection of Blackie's T-
                            > shirts. There are some great places in Vaduz, Triesen, Bad Ragaz and
                            > especially in Chur. I love old towns.
                            >
                            > Looks like I'll be over there the first week of December.
                            >
                            > What do you do over there ? I work for a vacuum instrumentation
                            > company. And I take it from your forum 'name' that you are also a
                            > ham radio operator like me.
                            >
                            > Jeff

                          • Uwe Liermann
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                              Hello Jeff,

                              sorry for capturing Bills message, but I've had some trouble with my
                              software, and this killed the references of the mails in a certain
                              time frame...

                              Jeff you wrote:

                              > I work for a vacuum instrumentation company.

                              Is this Balzers in Balzers, Lichtenstein? Then I know at least some of
                              your products, since I work in the coating department at a tool
                              manufacturer. I've been twice down in Balzers for operator training.

                              --
                              GreetingZ
                              Uwe
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                                wrote:
                                > What do you do over there ? I work for a vacuum instrumentation
                                > company. And I take it from your forum 'name' that you are also a
                                > ham radio operator like me.
                                > Jeff

                                CQ CQ Jeff, you bring up an interesting point. Many Z Scale list
                                members are/were ham radio operators. Other model rail lists and
                                scales likewise. Both these hobbies are 'hands-on' and appeal to
                                those who like to build things.

                                I've set up a folder in the Files section called "Other Hobbies of
                                List Members". Could be fun for list members to add their other
                                hobby interests into this folder to see what else we all have in
                                common besides rairoad scale modelling.

                                Some hobby folders are already created, anyone with a different hobby
                                who wants to add it just create another folder and text away.

                                dahdahdididit dididitdahdah
                              • Jens Wimmel
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                                  Jeff and Bill,

                                  it's really interesting for me to reading your dicussion about my
                                  hometown and -region ;-)
                                  It would be great to meet you once here in Chur. We should try it once.

                                  The shop in Chur, my opinion, is not very special. No reason for a
                                  visit. But I'm sure I can show you some interesting Z scale things and
                                  other model railways if you want and have time...

                                  Jens

                                  www.zettzeit.ch

                                • David Phillips
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 10, 2008
                                    Funny you should mention ham radio; I'm a ham wannabe, studying to take my first test. I
                                    wondered if model trains and ham radio were compatible hobbies, and I guess they are!.
                                  • ronaldjhurley
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 11, 2008
                                      Long ago I was K1FKG.... not relevant to anything but I haven't typed my call letters in so
                                      long.... other hams can probably tell from the letters how long! Thanks for indulging me...
                                      now back to your regularly scheduled programing!

                                      ron
                                    • FR.model@t-online.de
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                                        "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> schrieb:

                                        Long ago I was K1FKG....

                                        Long ago (in the 1970ies) I was DM2CGA, later Y23GA and in the 1990ies DL9GHF.
                                        Now model railroad business occupies all my time and I have returned my licence to the authority.

                                        Back to Z-scale: The Ztrack subscriber car (56' TTX Husky) is in progress as well as another
                                        release of 53' plastic containers with new names: SWIFT, APL, CSX blue, AML, Hub

                                        The next Swiss Ae3/5 electric motors come in January. Ballast cars Xds72 SOB come in December.

                                        Harald

                                        NowLL_,_._,___

                                        --
                                        FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK