[SPAM][SPAM][Z_Scale] Re: New Micro Track

  • Jeff BAZ-man
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29, 2008
      Paul, 220mm (8.66") isn't too bad for long car hang over but upwards
      of the next Märklin/MTL sectional track (and these are short angle
      pieces so you will need a LOT)is 490mm (19"). 15 inch is a good
      comprimize, 12" at the smallest. The BAZ BoyZ run 15" minimum.

      One thing that really should be done is transition curves. You'll
      need flex for this. This greatly reduces side-swipe of the lead or
      trailing car in a consist. You can create the needed transition
      courve with a 12" piece of flexible material. Place a strong pin at
      the end of your curve. Move 3" away from this fixed point and place
      your thumb there. Use your other hand to bend the other end along
      the straight until everything lines up. You should have the variable
      curve you need.

      As for feeders, every few sections is fine. Thousands of layouts
      have been made with single feeders. At the shows, we set up the
      modules using only the Märklin expansion tracks and can run over 10-
      20 modules until we find a weak connection. Then we clean that one,
      retest and THEN hook up all the individual module connectors that
      will in turn now feed each module. If you ever get a weak or bad
      one, you can spray electrical contact cleaner, presss/move it a
      little bit or press on the joiner with the corner edge of a
      screwdriver. Or, for the paranoid, solder each joint (you're asking
      for more trouble).

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area Z

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ed Dalman <dalman220z@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paul,
      > Here is my 2 cents of info.
      > Up till now I have only worked with Marklin flex track (66cm long
      aka 660 mm)  I will not rely on tthe contacts of the metal joiner
      connections, which may go bad over time!  Each section of track has
      been pigtailed (red for plus; black for negative) and connected to
      the main set of wires (also red & black).  See my pictures in Z
      Central Station.
      > All the BestZ,
      > Ed

      i.e., how
      > often in the track length do you need to add another feeder track
      connection
      > for additional power?

      Behalf Of
      > Jim O'Connell
      > Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:49 AM
      > To: z_scale@yahoogroups .com
      > Subject: [SPAM][SPAM] [Z_Scale] Re: New Micro Track
      >
      > Paul, If you have the space 490 mm is available in Micro Track.
      This