Re: [Z_Scale] Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
      Ken,

      Hello! It is great having another Penn Central fan in the group. I have been
      following the PC for a while and have an interest in Eastern roads. I will
      leave the repaint question to others, but for those interesting in the PC, there
      have been a few releases from MTL, AZL and now Full Throttle.

      MTL has released seven PC cars. All are in the 'Jade Green'. These have been:

      13702 - 50' standard car with double door circa 1988
      14103 (new series 500 00 030)- 40' standard box car with single door (3
      vesions offered)
      525 00 120 - flat car (recent release)
      14706 - Caboose. Two were released, one in 1985, the other in 1987

      The P&LE was part of the Penn Central. MTL has released four cars for the P&
      LE. These have been:
      14105 40' standard box car (brown with white letter and NYC markings)
      13507 50' single box car (jade green) circa 1988

      Ztrack released at the end of last year, a two car set for the P&LE. This
      includes a jade green 50' box car with white lettering and a 50' mill gondola,
      black with yellow lettering. These special sets are still available
      (http://www.ztrackcenter.com/special/)

      Full Throttle has released PC jade green cylindrical hoppers. Last month,
      they released an auxiliary pack that included 1x PC and 1x NYC car.

      AZL also has released a PC E8 locomotive. This was a highly limited release
      and sold out right away.

      For those wanting to research old MTL releases, their databases are ideal.
      Check out:
      http://www.micro-trains.com/data_base.php

      Some of these older releases can be found second hand. In a quick search of
      the web, we did find some of these cars available. I am very interesting in
      seeing photos of the cabooses. I don't recall these.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      Distributor American Z Line

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
        Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) is good for stripping MT cars. The regular paint
        comes off after about 15 minutes, the pad printing takes a while longer and
        might require a bit of brushing.

        On another note, MT has also had a few of the NYC jade box cars in 40' and
        50' and I used to see a lot of those even into the early Conrail era. (growing
        up in Western NY). When the NYC and Pennsy merged, they both had extensive
        fleets and a lack of money to repaint them, so for years, the only new paint
        they saw was new reporting numbers.

        Also, a few years ago, they released a LV gondola painted Jade,
        demonstrating the PC's controlling interest in the Valley.

        As for decals, if you buy Microscale N scale, (all types, not just the cars
        you are working on) you will probably find some that are suitable for Z.

        Dan S.

        In a message dated 9/1/2008 11:23:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        kenarm322@... writes:

        So what is the best way to strip the original MT paint from my Smokey
        Bear caboose?

        deal here.

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
          On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:00:30 EDT
          dpstripe@... wrote:

          > Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) is good for stripping MT cars. The regular paint
          > comes off after about 15 minutes, the pad printing takes a while longer and
          > might require a bit of brushing.

          For pad printing try 'Brasso' or whatever it is called over that side of
          the pond. Its a polish and really good for lifting pad print off
          plastics. Over here we use it on various N scale clear plastic coaches
          that are pad printed (so as to get flush windows) and redecal them.

          Alan
        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
            Alan,
            Oddly enough, it's called Brasso over here, too. I never thought of using it
            for this.
            Thanks for the tip.
            Dan S.

            In a message dated 9/1/2008 6:29:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            alan@... writes:

            On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:00:30 EDT
            dpstripe@... wrote:

            > Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) is good for stripping MT cars. The regular paint
            > comes off after about 15 minutes, the pad printing takes a while longer
            and
            > might require a bit of brushing.

            For pad printing try 'Brasso' or whatever it is called over that side of
            the pond. Its a polish and really good for lifting pad print off
            plastics. Over here we use it on various N scale clear plastic coaches
            that are pad printed (so as to get flush windows) and redecal them.

            Alan

            deal here.

          • Joe DAmato
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hey Rob,

              See you FINALLY found someone else who models PC ! :oP

              Just to let BOTH of the PC Modelers here know, we still have the PC
              GP-35 in stock...they aren't as sexy as an E8 but they still pull
              stuff around.

              Cheers

              Joe
              MTL

              > Ken,
              >
              > Hello! It is great having another Penn Central fan in the group. I
              have been
              > following the PC for a while and have an interest in Eastern roads.
              I will
              > leave the repaint question to others, but for those interesting in
              the PC, there
              > have been a few releases from MTL, AZL and now Full Throttle.
              >
              > MTL has released seven PC cars. All are in the 'Jade Green'. These
              have been:

              > 13702 - 50' standard car with double door circa 1988
              > 14103 (new series 500 00 030)- 40' standard box car with single
              door (3
              > vesions offered)
              > 525 00 120 - flat car (recent release)
              > 14706 - Caboose. Two were released, one in 1985, the other in 1987
              >
              > The P&LE was part of the Penn Central. MTL has released four cars
              for the P&
              > LE. These have been:
              > 14105 40' standard box car (brown with white letter and NYC
              markings)
              > 13507 50' single box car (jade green) circa 1988
              >
              > Ztrack released at the end of last year, a two car set for the
              P&LE. This
              > includes a jade green 50' box car with white lettering and a 50'
              mill gondola,
              > black with yellow lettering. These special sets are still available
              > (http://www.ztrackcenter.com/special/)
              >
              > Full Throttle has released PC jade green cylindrical hoppers. Last
              month,
              > they released an auxiliary pack that included 1x PC and 1x NYC car.
              >
              > AZL also has released a PC E8 locomotive. This was a highly limited
              release
              > and sold out right away.
              >
              > For those wanting to research old MTL releases, their databases are
              ideal.
              > Check out:
              > http://www.micro-trains.com/data_base.php
              >
              > Some of these older releases can be found second hand. In a quick
              search of
              > the web, we did find some of these cars available. I am very
              interesting in
              > seeing photos of the cabooses. I don't recall these.
              >
              > Rob Kluz
              >
              > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              > Dublin, OH 43016
              > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              > www.ztrack.com
              > www.ztrackcenter.com
              > Distributor American Z Line

            • Elizabeth Hayes
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 2, 2008
                the two cabooses have the same exact body with the same roadnumber, the only difference is one has Marklin couplers and the other has Magnematic (Kadees) so ,essentially, there is really only one PC caboose. Unless you have to have one of everything, the only other difference would be the price label on the box with the stock number. I don't know why there was a two year gap in between releasing the second coupler type. The caboose was also jade green. like all of the other cars.

                To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ztrack@...: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:10:03 -0400Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

                Ken,Hello! It is great having another Penn Central fan in the group. I have been following the PC for a while and have an interest in Eastern roads. I will leave the repaint question to others, but for those interesting in the PC, there have been a few releases from MTL, AZL and now Full Throttle. MTL has released seven PC cars. All are in the 'Jade Green'. These have been:13702 - 50' standard car with double door circa 198814103 (new series 500 00 030)- 40' standard box car with single door (3 vesions offered)525 00 120 - flat car (recent release)14706 - Caboose. Two were released, one in 1985, the other in 1987The P&LE was part of the Penn Central. MTL has released four cars for the P&LE. These have been:14105 40' standard box car (brown with white letter and NYC markings)13507 50' single box car (jade green) circa 1988Ztrack released at the end of last year, a two car set for the P&LE. This includes a jade green 50' box car with white lettering and a 50' mill gondola, black with yellow lettering. These special sets are still available (http://www.ztrackcenter.com/special/)Full Throttle has released PC jade green cylindrical hoppers. Last month, they released an auxiliary pack that included 1x PC and 1x NYC car. AZL also has released a PC E8 locomotive. This was a highly limited release and sold out right away. For those wanting to research old MTL releases, their databases are ideal. Check out:http://www.micro-trains.com/data_base.phpSome of these older releases can be found second hand. In a quick search of the web, we did find some of these cars available. I am very interesting in seeing photos of the cabooses. I don't recall these. Rob KluzZtrack Magazine Ltd.6142 Northcliff Blvd.Dublin, OH 43016phone/fax: (614) 764-1703www.ztrack.comwww.ztrackcenter.comDistributor American Z Line**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 2, 2008
                  In a message dated 9/2/08 10:40:52 AM, shipsure2003@... writes:

                  > See you FINALLY found someone else who models PC !  :oP

                  Woo Hooo I have a friend! :)

                  Joe, I have my PC GP35! I proudly showed it off in the January/February issue
                  of Ztrack this year. Incidentally, what I don't have is one of the AZL PC
                  E8s. These all went out to customers and I didn't have the heart to keep one for
                  myself. They were great looking locos. Hmmm MTL is going to do E8s... Joe...?

                  So what are the odds we can get Marklin to do a PC GG1?

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  Distributor American Z Line

                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 2, 2008
                    Rob,
                    Don't you mean you didn't have the moola to buy the E8? :o)

                    We want so much, but our pocket book says "no no no"

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                      In a message dated 9/3/08 12:34:44 AM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                      > Don't you mean you didn't have the moola to buy the E8?  :o)
                      >
                      > We want so much, but our pocket book says "no no no"

                      Loren,

                      Sorry, it is not so much about the moola. I have to be good. I just can't
                      keep one for myself when only 8 were made. If our loyal customer knew I was
                      hoarding rare AZL releases, they would start beating down the doors! LOL!

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                        Yeah, and I know where you live........I'd stand out front with a sign that
                        said..........."this way to great AZL products"
                        Who needs enemies when you got a friend like me... :o)

                        From: <ztrack@...>
                        In a message dated 9/3/08 12:34:44 AM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                        > Don't you mean you didn't have the moola to buy the E8? :o)>
                        > We want so much, but our pocket book says "no no no">
                        Loren,

                        Sorry, it is not so much about the moola. I have to be good. I just can't
                        keep one for myself when only 8 were made. If our loyal customer knew I was
                        hoarding rare AZL releases, they would start beating down the doors! LOL!

                        Rob

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        www.ztrack.com
                        www.ztrackcenter.com
                        Distributor American Z Line
                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2008
                          >So what are the odds we can get Marklin to do a PC GG1?
                          >
                          >Rob
                          >
                          >Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          >6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                          >Dublin, OH 43016
                          >phone/fax:

                          I think you'd better purchase a sample of any paintscheme, and do a repaint job....

                          Dom
                        • Elizabeth Hayes
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 6, 2008
                            doesn't AHC have about 20 different paint schemes for their HO scale GG1 ? and they did not bother with that stupid looking Conrail bicentennial red scheme? based on the lack of sales of that Marklin release it will probably be a while until the next one, but of course as soon as you buy one to repaint it, they will come out with exactly the same scheme as you just painted, never fails.

                            To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ddechamp71@...: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:59:01 +0000Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

                            >So what are the odds we can get Marklin to do a PC GG1?>>Rob>>Ztrack Magazine Ltd.>6142 Northcliff Blvd.>Dublin, OH 43016>phone/fax: I think you'd better purchase a sample of any paintscheme, and do a repaint job....Dom

                          • Elizabeth Hayes
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 7, 2008
                              make that IHC

                              To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ehayes24@...: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 00:10:55 +0000Subject: RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

                              doesn't AHC have about 20 different paint schemes for their HO scale GG1 ? and they did not bother with that stupid looking Conrail bicentennial red scheme? based on the lack of sales of that Marklin release it will probably be a while until the next one, but of course as soon as you buy one to repaint it, they will come out with exactly the same scheme as you just painted, never fails.To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ddechamp71@...: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:59:01 +0000Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central>So what are the odds we can get Marklin to do a PC GG1?>>Rob>>Ztrack Magazine Ltd.>6142 Northcliff Blvd.>Dublin, OH 43016>phone/fax: I think you'd better purchase a sample of any paintscheme, and do a repaint job....Dom __________________________________________________________Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                            • Manfred G
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 8, 2008
                                I really don't know what you all are complaining about. It took me only
                                5 minutes on Google to come up with Marklin 88490 PC GG1 in z-scale.
                                Though I think it is the dark green not the maroon color. So I guess you
                                can still complain that they don't have the color that you want. :-)

                                Manfred

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 8, 2008
                                  it is supposed to be black, you probably found the regular Pennsy one instead, it has only been released by Marklin in Pennsy green (brunswick) and the Conrail bicentennila circus clown scheme

                                  To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: AFN47583@...: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 07:57:58 -0400Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

                                  I really don't know what you all are complaining about. It took me only 5 minutes on Google to come up with Marklin 88490 PC GG1 in z-scale. Though I think it is the dark green not the maroon color. So I guess you can still complain that they don't have the color that you want. :-)Manfredztrack@... wrote:> In a message dated 9/2/08 10:40:52 AM, shipsure2003@... writes:> > > >>See you FINALLY found someone else who models PC ! :oP>>> > > Woo Hooo I have a friend! :)> > Joe, I have my PC GP35! I proudly showed it off in the January/February issue > of Ztrack this year. Incidentally, what I don't have is one of the AZL PC > E8s. These all went out to customers and I didn't have the heart to keep one for > myself. They were great looking locos. Hmmm MTL is going to do E8s... Joe...?> > So what are the odds we can get Marklin to do a PC GG1?> > Rob> > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.> 6142 Northcliff Blvd.> Dublin, OH 43016> phone/fax: (614) 764-1703> www.ztrack.com> www.ztrackcenter.com> Distributor American Z Line> > > > **************> It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel > deal here.> > (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> > > ------------------------------------> > Z-scale: minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!> Yahoo! Groups Links> > > >

                                • Elizabeth Hayes
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 8, 2008
                                    right now on that popular internet auction site , someone is selling a micro-trains F7 that they have repainted a Penn Central and also moved the front headlight; if you want a cab unit and didn`t get an AZL E8.

                                    To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: kenarm322@...: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:23:39 -0400Subject: [Z_Scale] Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

                                    I need to ask the list for some information and advice on two projects.#1 To run behind my Penn Central GP35s, I have brush painted a couple MT 50 ft fish-belly gondolas with PollyScale Penn Central green. This model is very close to some the PC ran. Painted they look very good although not quite as fine as air-brushed ones. When weathered the thicker and slightly irregular paint may add to the effect. After a few years some of these cars were so rusted and weathered they appeared black so some irregularity is probably authentic.Now I need decals to label them. I have made n-scale decals with MS Word and my HP printer but have been able to get white lettering only by making a black mask on white decal paper. This works on black cars but unfortunately with green I cannot hide the white edges adequately.So,my question: Where can I get Z-scale decals? Does anyone make them commercially? or are there people who will do small custom runs at affordable cost?Item #2 I have a MT center cupola caboose that I want to strip and paint for the Penn Central. This MT model is very close some the PC acquired from the Lehigh Valley and repainted in PC green with white lettering. There were two lettering schemes. There are some variations in the end windows but otherwise the MT caboose is an accurate match. (Joe and MT, this would be a quick project and all those people with PC GP35s need cabooses.)So what is the best way to strip the original MT paint from my Smokey Bear caboose?Thanks in AdvanceKen A.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 8, 2008
                                      In a message dated 9/8/08 6:20:41 PM, ehayes24@... writes:

                                      > I really don't know what you all are complaining about. It took me only 5
                                      > minutes on Google to come up with Marklin 88490 PC GG1 in z-scale.

                                      The 88490 is a Pennsylvania Railroad GG1. The Penn Central is the predecessor
                                      of the PRR and came about after the PRR merged with the New York Central.
                                      Many of the PC GG1s were black with a large white PC logo. Here is an image of
                                      one:

                                      http://www.geocities.com/jd696/gg1-pc.jpg

                                      Rob

                                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                      Dublin, OH 43016
                                      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                      www.ztrack.com
                                      www.ztrackcenter.com
                                      Distributor American Z Line

                                    • Konrad Malkowski
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 8, 2008
                                        Rob,
                                        I think you mean Penn Central is a successor of PRR and NYC merger.

                                        cheers

                                        Konrad

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 9, 2008
                                          Yeah, and as far as I know the PC version has never been released by Marklin, am I right?
                                          Dom

                                        • ztrack@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 9, 2008
                                            In a message dated 9/9/08 3:41:23 AM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                                            > Yeah, and as far as I know the PC version has never been released by
                                            > Marklin, am I right?

                                            Dom,

                                            You are correct. Only the green PRR and the bicentennial Conrail were
                                            released.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 9, 2008
                                              the postive thing is that the "friendly worms" logo on the sides of some GG1s was large in size and you can use N scale PC caboose decals for approximately the caorrect size logos, the negative side is that it is more difficult to come up with the correct size lettering to go underneath the logo

                                              To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ztrack@...: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:09:43 -0400Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Need Advice on Repainting MT cars for the Penn Central

                                              In a message dated 9/8/08 6:20:41 PM, ehayes24@... writes:> I really don't know what you all are complaining about. It took me only 5 > minutes on Google to come up with Marklin 88490 PC GG1 in z-scale.> The 88490 is a Pennsylvania Railroad GG1. The Penn Central is the predecessor of the PRR and came about after the PRR merged with the New York Central. Many of the PC GG1s were black with a large white PC logo. Here is an image of one:http://www.geocities.com/jd696/gg1-pc.jpgRobZtrack Magazine Ltd.6142 Northcliff Blvd.Dublin, OH 43016phone/fax: (614) 764-1703www.ztrack.comwww.ztrackcenter.comDistributor American Z Line**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.(http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                            • Chris M
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 9, 2008
                                                Hi group,
                                                I'm brand new. I want to start a conversion project (it's a secret for now) and need a MT F7. I'm too broke to buy one right now, so if anyone has, for whatever reason, a cheapie, or possibly even parts, I'd be interested to hear from you. Thanks.
                                              • David K. Smith
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 9, 2008
                                                  What parts are you looking for?

                                                  --David