Re: Linda Rankin

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
      The N Scalers lost one of their greats too, John Coots Jr of N Scale
      of Nevada, on the 27th. About 20 years ago John produced a special
      limited white metal Piggy Packer kit in N Scale. It sold out real
      quick, but I got one. Back then you had to be on Captian Blaster's
      mailing list to find out about anything. It was probably the first
      intermodal equipment available, and started the trend in N.

      I spent about 20 hours building mine, and painted it for UP, after
      having visited an intermodal yard that had a huge Mi-Jack in Nampa
      Idaho, and been bitten by the intermodal bug the first time.

      You are always inspired by work and offerings of others, especially
      when it's something you love to do too.

      I have a couple Linda Rankin pieces myself, and admired them as
      caricatures reflecting things I know and love to do.

      Linda's work always included all the elements of a good scene, whether
      she was depicting a place full of life, activity, and happiness, a
      place that has fallen into neglect and disrepair and is little used,
      or more lately, a place inhabited only by spiders, cobwebs, and ghosts
      of the past.

      Over the past 5 years I have seen aspects of her work, as well as
      2GrayBros, and TheOtherLionel, (the original 3 I watched) continued in
      the works of Karin Snyder, Mike Duggan, and others, so I say Linda
      Rankin lives on in those who's work she inspired, and will always be
      remembered in our small community.

      -Robert