Linda Rankin

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
      I am the bearer of sad news...

      I do not know how many of you knew of the fine artist and custom
      builder, Linda Rankin.
      You can see some of her great work at her homepage...
      http://lindarankin.com
      She used to sell her fine work on eBay, under the name of...
      lindarankinstudio

      Linda had her own, special style... that many enjoyed and loved, and
      others might not agree.
      I own many of Linda's fine pieces... and, she built a custom
      briefcase layout for me.

      I have just been informed by her daughter (and given permission to
      post this information) that Linda passed away on August 20.
      She was only 50 years old. She had an on-going battle with cancer.

      You can view her obituary at...
      http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?
      o_id=197318&fh_id=10327&s_id=E93C9D681A0F046704AE4694030BC8EC

      Alex
      Tokyo, Japan
    • uptoolateny
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
        This is very, very sad news. I really like Linda's style and
        technique... she produced structures with real character, warmth and
        charm.

        You're right Alex, Linda will very much be missed.

        John
        www.ztrains.com
      • Loren
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
          This is shocking and sad news.
          Linda and I used to write back and forth a bit and we discussed trains, etc.
          I sold her some of the first Micro track when it came out.

          I once sent Linda some pictures of a feed mill back in my home town. In a
          week she built a slightly scaled down model of it and sold it on ebay for
          just over $400.00. She was very respected and a great artist. Very sorry
          to hear of her passing. May the Lord comfort her family.

          > I do not know how many of you knew of the fine artist and custom
          > builder, Linda Rankin.
          > You can see some of her great work at her homepage...
          > http://lindarankin.com
          > She used to sell her fine work on eBay, under the name of...
          > lindarankinstudio
          >
          > Linda had her own, special style... that many enjoyed and loved, and
          > others might not agree.
          > I own many of Linda's fine pieces... and, she built a custom
          > briefcase layout for me.
          >
          > I have just been informed by her daughter (and given permission to
          > post this information) that Linda passed away on August 20.
          > She was only 50 years old. She had an on-going battle with cancer.
          >
          > You can view her obituary at...
          > http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?
          > o_id=197318&fh_id=10327&s_id=E93C9D681A0F046704AE4694030BC8EC
          >
          > Alex
          > Tokyo, Japan

        • ronaldjhurley
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
            Alex,
            Opening your email after a long day and.... oh no... I had hoped she was getting better as
            some of her fantasy items were being listed. I always checked as she was one of my
            favorites. Linda wasn't prototypical but she had style and talent and I loved her whimsical
            touch. We corresponded a few times and she was so modest and flattered that she had
            fans! A sweet lady... I am so sorry to lose her.
            ron PS the obituary website seems to be down

            > I am the bearer of sad news...
            >
            > I do not know how many of you knew of the fine artist and custom
            > builder, Linda Rankin.
            > You can see some of her great work at her homepage...
            > http://lindarankin.com
            > She used to sell her fine work on eBay, under the name of...
            > lindarankinstudio
            >
            > Linda had her own, special style... that many enjoyed and loved, and
            > others might not agree.
            > I own many of Linda's fine pieces... and, she built a custom
            > briefcase layout for me.
            >
            > I have just been informed by her daughter (and given permission to
            > post this information) that Linda passed away on August 20.
            > She was only 50 years old. She had an on-going battle with cancer.
            >
            > You can view her obituary at...
            > http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?
            > o_id=197318&fh_id=10327&s_id=E93C9D681A0F046704AE4694030BC8EC
            >
            > Alex
            > Tokyo, Japan

          • David George
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
              Alex,
              Thank you for telling us of this sad news.
              Our group is not very large and to have one so talented leave us so early is heartbreaking.
              My deepest sympathy goes out to her family .

              Cordially,
              Mister Dave

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                I apologize for the long url in my previous posting. I should have
                known it would not post correctly here on the board.

                You can view her obituary at... http://tinyurl.com/59ch4f

                As I mentioned earlier, I have many of Linda's fine pieces from her
                eBay auctions... about 25+ pieces. I had more at one time, but
                I resold a few of them.
                She also modified / built a custom briefcase layout for me.
                As far as I'm concerned... they are all worth every penny.
                While her work may not be prototypical... it has it's own style, life
                and charm.

                We wrote to each other at least once every week or two during the
                past two years. It turned out we had a lot in common in our thinking
                about our outlook on life.
                She always had a lot of nice things to say about her Z-scale
                customers from eBay.

                This was not her first battle with cancer. She refused most of the
                treatments and often battled with the doctors. She really hated the
                doctors.

                Alex

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

                > I am the bearer of sad news...
                >
                > I do not know how many of you knew of the fine artist and custom
                > builder, Linda Rankin.
                > You can see some of her great work at her homepage...
                > http://lindarankin.com
                > She used to sell her fine work on eBay, under the name of...
                > lindarankinstudio
                >
                > Linda had her own, special style... that many enjoyed and loved,
                and
                > others might not agree.
                > I own many of Linda's fine pieces... and, she built a custom
                > briefcase layout for me.
                >
                > I have just been informed by her daughter (and given permission to
                > post this information) that Linda passed away on August 20.
                > She was only 50 years old. She had an on-going battle with cancer.
                >
                > You can view her obituary at...
              • Jürg Rüedi
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                  Dear Friends

                  I was deeply saddened to hear about the death of Linda.
                  I know how difficult this must be for her Family. They are in my
                  thoughts and prayers. May God bless her family during this time and
                  always.

                  Sincerley
                  Jürg

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

                  > I am the bearer of sad news...
                  >
                  > I do not know how many of you knew of the fine artist and custom
                  > builder, Linda Rankin.
                  > You can see some of her great work at her homepage...
                  > http://lindarankin.com
                  > She used to sell her fine work on eBay, under the name of...
                  > lindarankinstudio
                  >
                  > Linda had her own, special style... that many enjoyed and loved,
                  and
                  > others might not agree.
                  > I own many of Linda's fine pieces... and, she built a custom
                  > briefcase layout for me.
                  >
                  > I have just been informed by her daughter (and given permission to
                  > post this information) that Linda passed away on August 20.
                  > She was only 50 years old. She had an on-going battle with cancer.
                  >
                  > You can view her obituary at...
                  > http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?
                  > o_id=197318&fh_id=10327&s_id=E93C9D681A0F046704AE4694030BC8EC
                  >
                  > Alex
                  > Tokyo, Japan

                • Karin E. Snyder
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                    I marveled at Linda's work long before my first Z scale layout came to be.
                    Seeing her work gave me, another woman model builder, a goal to reach for;
                    creating beautiful dioramas in Z scale. I am still trying to achieve even
                    near what Linda has done!

                    She was 2 years younger than me. Makes one pause to reflect that life is
                    sometimes too short. I hope Linda realized the majority of her dreams
                    before she left. I think she would tell us to keep dreaming, keep creating,
                    and to enjoy everything good in our world while we have it... I just
                    imagine that is what she might say. Since I heard the news it seems like my
                    petty problems seem so small now. Think I'll go make something in Z...

                    Karin Snyder

                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                      Karin, and every one else that has offered kind words about Linda,

                      You are correct... hearing news of this type makes you quickly
                      reflect on your own life.

                      This is the second death announcement that I heard of in August. A
                      business acquaintance died of a sudden heart-attack less than a week
                      after I had lunch with him. No history of heart problems, not a
                      smoker, maybe a few pounds over his ideal weight, no family history
                      of heart problems.

                      He was 49.
                      Linda was 50.
                      I'm 48.

                      These were good, kind, helpfull people.
                      Why them?

                      Alex
                      Tokyo, Japan

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Snyder" <ladyrejoicer@...>
                      wrote:

                      > She was 2 years younger than me. Makes one pause to reflect that
                      life is
                      > sometimes too short. I hope Linda realized the majority of her
                      dreams
                      > before she left. I think she would tell us to keep dreaming, keep
                      creating,
                      > and to enjoy everything good in our world while we have it... I
                      just
                      > imagine that is what she might say. Since I heard the news it
                      seems like my
                      > petty problems seem so small now. Think I'll go make something in
                      Z...

                      > Karin Snyder
                    • David George
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                        I dodged a bullet at 50. I had a 5 bypass cardio surgery operation. It worked !.
                        I am now 70.
                        50 years old seems to be a benchmark age for the human body. Many of us need a full body checkup and some Repair and Maintenance around that time.
                        I was blessed and I celebrate that blessing every day.
                        My best to everyone .
                        Cordially,
                        Mister Dave

                        wrote:

                        > She was 2 years younger than me. Makes one pause to reflect that
                        life is
                        > sometimes too short. I hope Linda realized the majority of her
                        dreams
                        > before she left. I think she would tell us to keep dreaming, keep
                        creating,
                        > and to enjoy everything good in our world while we have it... I
                        just
                        > imagine that is what she might say. Since I heard the news it
                        seems like my
                        > petty problems seem so small now. Think I'll go make something in
                        Z...

                        > Karin Snyder

                      • Loren
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                          Thought just occured to me Dave,.......we humans seem to wait until someone
                          is dead to tell each other how great that person was.
                          Maybe we need to be telling each other how great we think each other is now
                          while we are alive.........

                          Praise sure sounds and feels better than complaint and criticism.

                          I'm going to try my best to do more of the praising and less of the
                          complaining.

                          Dave, we are very glad that bullet missed you too.

                          >I dodged a bullet at 50. I had a 5 bypass cardio surgery operation. It
                          >worked !.
                          > I am now 70.
                          > 50 years old seems to be a benchmark age for the human body. Many of us
                          > need a full body checkup and some Repair and Maintenance around that time.
                          > I was blessed and I celebrate that blessing every day.
                          > My best to everyone .
                          > Cordially,
                          > Mister Dave
                        • Alex
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                            Loren,

                            Nice thought... Oh, how I wish it were true.

                            But... this is an election year.

                            Alex

                            P.S. Where are my peanuts?

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                            > Thought just occured to me Dave,... we humans seem to wait until
                            someone
                            > is dead to tell each other how great that person was.
                            > Maybe we need to be telling each other how great we think each
                            other is now
                            > while we are alive...
                            >
                            > Praise sure sounds and feels better than complaint and criticism.
                            >
                            > I'm going to try my best to do more of the praising and less of the
                            > complaining.
                            >
                            > Dave, we are very glad that bullet missed you too.
                            >
                            > Loren
                          • Loren
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                              Alex,
                              Election year.....what a ride this one is turning out to be.

                              As for the peanuts, I had to use them to pack a box for shipment. Ran out
                              of bubble wrap.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2008
                                The N Scalers lost one of their greats too, John Coots Jr of N Scale
                                of Nevada, on the 27th. About 20 years ago John produced a special
                                limited white metal Piggy Packer kit in N Scale. It sold out real
                                quick, but I got one. Back then you had to be on Captian Blaster's
                                mailing list to find out about anything. It was probably the first
                                intermodal equipment available, and started the trend in N.

                                I spent about 20 hours building mine, and painted it for UP, after
                                having visited an intermodal yard that had a huge Mi-Jack in Nampa
                                Idaho, and been bitten by the intermodal bug the first time.

                                You are always inspired by work and offerings of others, especially
                                when it's something you love to do too.

                                I have a couple Linda Rankin pieces myself, and admired them as
                                caricatures reflecting things I know and love to do.

                                Linda's work always included all the elements of a good scene, whether
                                she was depicting a place full of life, activity, and happiness, a
                                place that has fallen into neglect and disrepair and is little used,
                                or more lately, a place inhabited only by spiders, cobwebs, and ghosts
                                of the past.

                                Over the past 5 years I have seen aspects of her work, as well as
                                2GrayBros, and TheOtherLionel, (the original 3 I watched) continued in
                                the works of Karin Snyder, Mike Duggan, and others, so I say Linda
                                Rankin lives on in those who's work she inspired, and will always be
                                remembered in our small community.

                                -Robert