Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Trainride on a Re 6/6

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      Jurg,
      This is a very impressive locomotive. Over 60000 pounds of continuous
      tractive force from a single loc. At almost 90mph. A unique solution for a unique
      challenge. Thanks for sharing.
      Dan S.

      In a message dated 8/1/2008 1:17:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      juerg.rueedi@... writes:

      David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
      the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
      Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
      http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

      best Regards
      Jürg

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.

    • ronaldjhurley
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
        Thanks Jurg.... you're the best! I loved the trip. ron

        > Hello Friends
        >
        > Your favorit reporter was again on a Trainride. This time with almost
        > 11000 Horsepower under the Seat Please enjoy!
        >
        > http://www.rosetown.ch/News/Trainride2.htm
        >
        > Sincerley
        > Jürg
        >
        > http://www.rosetown.ch

      • Bruce Wolff
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2008
          David,

          There's no diesel locomotive with that power. The Re6/6's secret is
          that it doesn't have to carry its power source around with it.

          Power is the product of tractive effort, or pulling force, multiplied
          by speed. Any modern AC-traction North American has enough tractive
          effort, due to its huge weight and advanced wheel-slip control, that
          it could pull an Re6/6 backward without trying. But with the limited
          power generated by a diesel engine, the tractive effort falls off
          very quickly as the speed increases. That's why in North America, a
          sizeable freight train needs oodles of locomotives if it wants to
          climb a 2% grade at anything more than 20 mph or 30 km/h.

          An electric locomotive's maximum tractive effort is also governed by
          its weight and its traction control system. However, because of the
          huge amounts of power it can pull out of that copper wire hanging
          over the track, an electric locomotive can maintain that tractive
          effort at quite high speeds. That's why freight and passenger trains
          routinely race up and down the slopes of Switzerland's Gotthard Pass
          at 60 or 80 km/h with only one locomotive.

          Interestingly, in a steam locomotive, the tractive effort is governed
          again by the weight on the drivers, but also by the steam pressure,
          the cylinder bore and stroke, and the drive wheel diameter.
          (Increasing tractive effort with increasing pressure, increasing bore
          and stroke, and DEcreasing driver diameter. But too much tractive
          effort in too light a locomotive and you end up with a
          very "slippery" locomotive!) The power is governed largely by the
          size and design of the boiler, in other words, how much steam it can
          generate and how well it can get it to the cylinders. But here's
          where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
          at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the
          exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
          allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
          used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
          ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

          Regards,
          Bruce

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

          > Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that
          much HP.

          > David

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
            > where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
            > at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the

            Given enough steam.

            > exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
            > allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
            > used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
            > ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

            Steam is constant torque until you run out of power, diesel
            electric is constant power (ignoring the fact that on some of them you
            melt the traction motors on full continuous). That is also why steam
            acceleration from standstill is poor and also one of the reasons slow
            trains on grades show up the worst in a steam loco.

            A diesel electric usually starts with the traction motors in series, then
            switches to parallel, then field weakening - you effectively
            have to reduce the motor performance as the speed rises.

            Fortunately that is one bit of physics that doesn't scale down to Z.

            Alan