Re: [Z_Scale] Trainride on a Re 6/6

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      I confess, I didn't read all the script as I was a bit rushed at the
      time.....but the pictures are definitely worth the time to gaze at a bit.
      Thank you,

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
        Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that much HP.

        David
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
          ---Hi,
          Woderful pictures of trains & scenery and good dialogue. It's good that
          we have a member with the right connections. I look forward to your
          next ride.
          Thanks
          Cliff
        • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
            The yellow track machine lettered "B24C" appears to be what in the US is usually called a "Production Tamper". It is used to level and align the track by raising and shifting it into position and then keep it there by tamping ballast around it.

            Machine 9600 most nearly resembles a "Ballast Regulator", used to spread ballast neatly, ready for tamping, and also sweep loose ballast off the tops of the ties. It is difficult to be sure, though, and it could just as easily be a "switch tamper", used to tamp ballast in turnouts and crossing where the diverging rails prevent an ordinary tamper from working effectively. The tamping heads can be shifted laterally as required.

            John C. La Rue, Jr.
            Bonita Springs, FL

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
              Jurg,
              Great ride and pictures.
              Thank you.
              Cordially,
              Mister Dave
              ps. - I took a ride on the Gold Pass Line from Montreaux to Schweissman( spelling ?) in May.
              Same sunny weather.
              Beautiful.
              D.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                Jurg,
                This is a very impressive locomotive. Over 60000 pounds of continuous
                tractive force from a single loc. At almost 90mph. A unique solution for a unique
                challenge. Thanks for sharing.
                Dan S.

                In a message dated 8/1/2008 1:17:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                juerg.rueedi@... writes:

                David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
                the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
                Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
                http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

                best Regards
                Jürg

                Read reviews on AOL Autos.

              • ronaldjhurley
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
                  Thanks Jurg.... you're the best! I loved the trip. ron

                  > Hello Friends
                  >
                  > Your favorit reporter was again on a Trainride. This time with almost
                  > 11000 Horsepower under the Seat Please enjoy!
                  >
                  > http://www.rosetown.ch/News/Trainride2.htm
                  >
                  > Sincerley
                  > Jürg
                  >
                  > http://www.rosetown.ch

                • Bruce Wolff
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2008
                    David,

                    There's no diesel locomotive with that power. The Re6/6's secret is
                    that it doesn't have to carry its power source around with it.

                    Power is the product of tractive effort, or pulling force, multiplied
                    by speed. Any modern AC-traction North American has enough tractive
                    effort, due to its huge weight and advanced wheel-slip control, that
                    it could pull an Re6/6 backward without trying. But with the limited
                    power generated by a diesel engine, the tractive effort falls off
                    very quickly as the speed increases. That's why in North America, a
                    sizeable freight train needs oodles of locomotives if it wants to
                    climb a 2% grade at anything more than 20 mph or 30 km/h.

                    An electric locomotive's maximum tractive effort is also governed by
                    its weight and its traction control system. However, because of the
                    huge amounts of power it can pull out of that copper wire hanging
                    over the track, an electric locomotive can maintain that tractive
                    effort at quite high speeds. That's why freight and passenger trains
                    routinely race up and down the slopes of Switzerland's Gotthard Pass
                    at 60 or 80 km/h with only one locomotive.

                    Interestingly, in a steam locomotive, the tractive effort is governed
                    again by the weight on the drivers, but also by the steam pressure,
                    the cylinder bore and stroke, and the drive wheel diameter.
                    (Increasing tractive effort with increasing pressure, increasing bore
                    and stroke, and DEcreasing driver diameter. But too much tractive
                    effort in too light a locomotive and you end up with a
                    very "slippery" locomotive!) The power is governed largely by the
                    size and design of the boiler, in other words, how much steam it can
                    generate and how well it can get it to the cylinders. But here's
                    where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
                    at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the
                    exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
                    allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
                    used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
                    ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

                    Regards,
                    Bruce

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                    > Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that
                    much HP.

                    > David

                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
                      > where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
                      > at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the

                      Given enough steam.

                      > exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
                      > allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
                      > used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
                      > ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

                      Steam is constant torque until you run out of power, diesel
                      electric is constant power (ignoring the fact that on some of them you
                      melt the traction motors on full continuous). That is also why steam
                      acceleration from standstill is poor and also one of the reasons slow
                      trains on grades show up the worst in a steam loco.

                      A diesel electric usually starts with the traction motors in series, then
                      switches to parallel, then field weakening - you effectively
                      have to reduce the motor performance as the speed rises.

                      Fortunately that is one bit of physics that doesn't scale down to Z.

                      Alan