Re: [Z_Scale] Trainride on a Re 6/6

  • David Epling
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      Excellent...but I have a question....11,000 Horsepower?

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
        David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
        the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
        Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
        http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

        best Regards
        Jürg

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

        > Excellent...but I have a question....11,000 Horsepower?

      • Thomas P. Scheuzger
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
          If you read his text on the web page, you'll see that the brooms are
          a warning system to bring in your head as you approach a tunnel!

          Tom

          >Hi Jurg,
          >
          >Great pictures and wonderful of you to share them. Beautiful countryside
          >also.
          >Gotta ask though, what is the purpose of the brooms outside the tunnels in
          >several pictures? Very interesting.
          >Loren

        • Loren
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
            I confess, I didn't read all the script as I was a bit rushed at the
            time.....but the pictures are definitely worth the time to gaze at a bit.
            Thank you,

            > If you read his text on the web page, you'll see that the brooms are
            > a warning system to bring in your head as you approach a tunnel!
            >
            > Tom
          • David Epling
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
              Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that much HP.

              David
              David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
              the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
              Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
              http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

              best Regards
              Jürg

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

              > Excellent...but I have a question....11,000 Horsepower?

            • Cliff Travis
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                ---Hi,
                Woderful pictures of trains & scenery and good dialogue. It's good that
                we have a member with the right connections. I look forward to your
                next ride.
                Thanks
                Cliff
              • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                  The yellow track machine lettered "B24C" appears to be what in the US is usually called a "Production Tamper". It is used to level and align the track by raising and shifting it into position and then keep it there by tamping ballast around it.

                  Machine 9600 most nearly resembles a "Ballast Regulator", used to spread ballast neatly, ready for tamping, and also sweep loose ballast off the tops of the ties. It is difficult to be sure, though, and it could just as easily be a "switch tamper", used to tamp ballast in turnouts and crossing where the diverging rails prevent an ordinary tamper from working effectively. The tamping heads can be shifted laterally as required.

                  John C. La Rue, Jr.
                  Bonita Springs, FL

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                    Jurg,
                    Great ride and pictures.
                    Thank you.
                    Cordially,
                    Mister Dave
                    ps. - I took a ride on the Gold Pass Line from Montreaux to Schweissman( spelling ?) in May.
                    Same sunny weather.
                    Beautiful.
                    D.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Jurg,
                      This is a very impressive locomotive. Over 60000 pounds of continuous
                      tractive force from a single loc. At almost 90mph. A unique solution for a unique
                      challenge. Thanks for sharing.
                      Dan S.

                      In a message dated 8/1/2008 1:17:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      juerg.rueedi@... writes:

                      David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
                      the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
                      Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
                      http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

                      best Regards
                      Jürg

                      Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                    • ronaldjhurley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
                        Thanks Jurg.... you're the best! I loved the trip. ron

                        > Hello Friends
                        >
                        > Your favorit reporter was again on a Trainride. This time with almost
                        > 11000 Horsepower under the Seat Please enjoy!
                        >
                        > http://www.rosetown.ch/News/Trainride2.htm
                        >
                        > Sincerley
                        > Jürg
                        >
                        > http://www.rosetown.ch

                      • Bruce Wolff
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4, 2008
                          David,

                          There's no diesel locomotive with that power. The Re6/6's secret is
                          that it doesn't have to carry its power source around with it.

                          Power is the product of tractive effort, or pulling force, multiplied
                          by speed. Any modern AC-traction North American has enough tractive
                          effort, due to its huge weight and advanced wheel-slip control, that
                          it could pull an Re6/6 backward without trying. But with the limited
                          power generated by a diesel engine, the tractive effort falls off
                          very quickly as the speed increases. That's why in North America, a
                          sizeable freight train needs oodles of locomotives if it wants to
                          climb a 2% grade at anything more than 20 mph or 30 km/h.

                          An electric locomotive's maximum tractive effort is also governed by
                          its weight and its traction control system. However, because of the
                          huge amounts of power it can pull out of that copper wire hanging
                          over the track, an electric locomotive can maintain that tractive
                          effort at quite high speeds. That's why freight and passenger trains
                          routinely race up and down the slopes of Switzerland's Gotthard Pass
                          at 60 or 80 km/h with only one locomotive.

                          Interestingly, in a steam locomotive, the tractive effort is governed
                          again by the weight on the drivers, but also by the steam pressure,
                          the cylinder bore and stroke, and the drive wheel diameter.
                          (Increasing tractive effort with increasing pressure, increasing bore
                          and stroke, and DEcreasing driver diameter. But too much tractive
                          effort in too light a locomotive and you end up with a
                          very "slippery" locomotive!) The power is governed largely by the
                          size and design of the boiler, in other words, how much steam it can
                          generate and how well it can get it to the cylinders. But here's
                          where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
                          at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the
                          exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
                          allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
                          used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
                          ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

                          Regards,
                          Bruce

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                          > Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that
                          much HP.

                          > David

                        • Alan Cox
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
                            > where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
                            > at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the

                            Given enough steam.

                            > exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
                            > allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
                            > used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
                            > ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

                            Steam is constant torque until you run out of power, diesel
                            electric is constant power (ignoring the fact that on some of them you
                            melt the traction motors on full continuous). That is also why steam
                            acceleration from standstill is poor and also one of the reasons slow
                            trains on grades show up the worst in a steam loco.

                            A diesel electric usually starts with the traction motors in series, then
                            switches to parallel, then field weakening - you effectively
                            have to reduce the motor performance as the speed rises.

                            Fortunately that is one bit of physics that doesn't scale down to Z.

                            Alan