Trainride on a Re 6/6

  • Jürg Rüedi
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hello Friends

      Your favorit reporter was again on a Trainride. This time with almost
      11000 Horsepower under the Seat Please enjoy!

      http://www.rosetown.ch/News/Trainride2.htm

      Sincerley
      Jürg

      http://www.rosetown.ch
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
        Hi Jurg,

        Great pictures and wonderful of you to share them. Beautiful countryside
        also.
        Gotta ask though, what is the purpose of the brooms outside the tunnels in
        several pictures? Very interesting.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
          Excellent...but I have a question....11,000 Horsepower?

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
            David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
            the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
            Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
            http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

            best Regards
            Jürg

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

            > Excellent...but I have a question....11,000 Horsepower?

          • Thomas P. Scheuzger
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
              If you read his text on the web page, you'll see that the brooms are
              a warning system to bring in your head as you approach a tunnel!

              Tom

              >Hi Jurg,
              >
              >Great pictures and wonderful of you to share them. Beautiful countryside
              >also.
              >Gotta ask though, what is the purpose of the brooms outside the tunnels in
              >several pictures? Very interesting.
              >Loren

            • Loren
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                I confess, I didn't read all the script as I was a bit rushed at the
                time.....but the pictures are definitely worth the time to gaze at a bit.
                Thank you,

                > If you read his text on the web page, you'll see that the brooms are
                > a warning system to bring in your head as you approach a tunnel!
                >
                > Tom
              • David Epling
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that much HP.

                  David
                  David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
                  the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
                  Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
                  http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

                  best Regards
                  Jürg

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                  > Excellent...but I have a question....11,000 Horsepower?

                • Cliff Travis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                    ---Hi,
                    Woderful pictures of trains & scenery and good dialogue. It's good that
                    we have a member with the right connections. I look forward to your
                    next ride.
                    Thanks
                    Cliff
                  • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                      The yellow track machine lettered "B24C" appears to be what in the US is usually called a "Production Tamper". It is used to level and align the track by raising and shifting it into position and then keep it there by tamping ballast around it.

                      Machine 9600 most nearly resembles a "Ballast Regulator", used to spread ballast neatly, ready for tamping, and also sweep loose ballast off the tops of the ties. It is difficult to be sure, though, and it could just as easily be a "switch tamper", used to tamp ballast in turnouts and crossing where the diverging rails prevent an ordinary tamper from working effectively. The tamping heads can be shifted laterally as required.

                      John C. La Rue, Jr.
                      Bonita Springs, FL

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                        Jurg,
                        Great ride and pictures.
                        Thank you.
                        Cordially,
                        Mister Dave
                        ps. - I took a ride on the Gold Pass Line from Montreaux to Schweissman( spelling ?) in May.
                        Same sunny weather.
                        Beautiful.
                        D.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
                          Jurg,
                          This is a very impressive locomotive. Over 60000 pounds of continuous
                          tractive force from a single loc. At almost 90mph. A unique solution for a unique
                          challenge. Thanks for sharing.
                          Dan S.

                          In a message dated 8/1/2008 1:17:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          juerg.rueedi@... writes:

                          David, the Re 6/6 has between 10600 and 11200 Horsepower depends of
                          the modified Enginetyp. That's at least 7'900 kW.
                          Here are some additonal information from the manufacture SLM in 1974:
                          http://www.re620.ch/09_downloads/re620.pdf

                          best Regards
                          Jürg

                          Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                        • ronaldjhurley
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
                            Thanks Jurg.... you're the best! I loved the trip. ron

                            > Hello Friends
                            >
                            > Your favorit reporter was again on a Trainride. This time with almost
                            > 11000 Horsepower under the Seat Please enjoy!
                            >
                            > http://www.rosetown.ch/News/Trainride2.htm
                            >
                            > Sincerley
                            > Jürg
                            >
                            > http://www.rosetown.ch

                          • Bruce Wolff
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2008
                              David,

                              There's no diesel locomotive with that power. The Re6/6's secret is
                              that it doesn't have to carry its power source around with it.

                              Power is the product of tractive effort, or pulling force, multiplied
                              by speed. Any modern AC-traction North American has enough tractive
                              effort, due to its huge weight and advanced wheel-slip control, that
                              it could pull an Re6/6 backward without trying. But with the limited
                              power generated by a diesel engine, the tractive effort falls off
                              very quickly as the speed increases. That's why in North America, a
                              sizeable freight train needs oodles of locomotives if it wants to
                              climb a 2% grade at anything more than 20 mph or 30 km/h.

                              An electric locomotive's maximum tractive effort is also governed by
                              its weight and its traction control system. However, because of the
                              huge amounts of power it can pull out of that copper wire hanging
                              over the track, an electric locomotive can maintain that tractive
                              effort at quite high speeds. That's why freight and passenger trains
                              routinely race up and down the slopes of Switzerland's Gotthard Pass
                              at 60 or 80 km/h with only one locomotive.

                              Interestingly, in a steam locomotive, the tractive effort is governed
                              again by the weight on the drivers, but also by the steam pressure,
                              the cylinder bore and stroke, and the drive wheel diameter.
                              (Increasing tractive effort with increasing pressure, increasing bore
                              and stroke, and DEcreasing driver diameter. But too much tractive
                              effort in too light a locomotive and you end up with a
                              very "slippery" locomotive!) The power is governed largely by the
                              size and design of the boiler, in other words, how much steam it can
                              generate and how well it can get it to the cylinders. But here's
                              where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
                              at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the
                              exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
                              allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
                              used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
                              ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

                              Regards,
                              Bruce

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                              > Cool, thanks much, I wasn't aware that there was a loco with that
                              much HP.

                              > David

                            • Alan Cox
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
                                > where a steam locomotive gets interesting: It can develop more power
                                > at 30 mph than at 10 mph! As it goes faster, the draft from the

                                Given enough steam.

                                > exhaust steam pulls more air into the firebox and through the tubes,
                                > allowing a hotter fire that boils more steam. Railroaders who are
                                > used to diesels can be surprised by a big-boilered steam locomotive's
                                > ability to keep right on accelerating with a very heavy train.

                                Steam is constant torque until you run out of power, diesel
                                electric is constant power (ignoring the fact that on some of them you
                                melt the traction motors on full continuous). That is also why steam
                                acceleration from standstill is poor and also one of the reasons slow
                                trains on grades show up the worst in a steam loco.

                                A diesel electric usually starts with the traction motors in series, then
                                switches to parallel, then field weakening - you effectively
                                have to reduce the motor performance as the speed rises.

                                Fortunately that is one bit of physics that doesn't scale down to Z.

                                Alan