Z Track

  • up148
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 1, 2008
      I did an archive search but nothing turned up so I wanted to ask.
      What track is available to me to run Z trains on? What is the
      smallest code of rail that is available commercially and what is the
      smallest code of rail that modelers are using (handlaying) in Z
      successfully?

      It appears the locomotives, rolling stock, buildings and structures
      have become so accurate and sophisticated detailwise in Z since the
      last time I looked (the 80's and early 90's) that the rail height
      might be one of the few areas that remains out of scale; and that can
      be overcome somewhat with weathering. So, I'm just wondering what
      seems to be the track of choice for most Z scalers?

      I viewed the videos posted above Lorens highway post of some train
      show and what looks like a modular Z layout. There was a GP of some
      type pulling a freight train. It appeared to be running around 60-70
      SMPH and I didn't know if this was to catch everyones attention at
      the show or if these locos will not run smoothly at 10-20-30 SMPH. I
      know children and many adults get bored if trains aren't zooming
      around at train shows so the speed of the train in the video might
      have been planned. Just wondered.

      Butch
    • Loren
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 4, 2008
        Dave,
        I think all of us over on this side of the pond will agree with you. What's
        wrong with those guys who run those trains? Are they on speed?