Re: Loren's Amazing Working Highway

  • up148
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      Loren,

      Great video! Fantastic mechanics. You are a talented modeler. I would
      love to see an article on the building of this model. I'm assuming
      there are small magnets on the bottom of each vehicle? Do you have any
      problems with the chain drive rubbing on the bottom side of the
      roadway. What are the clearances? The vehicles move so smoothly.

      Butch
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hi Butch,
        Just a quick note to answer your questions........yes, there are magnets on
        each vehicle, one in front and one in back to help them track.
        No, the drive motor has no problem with the chain traveling
        through the channel. The chain is just a tiny fraction of an inch below
        the
        road surface. The closer the better, but of course, you don't want it
        rubbing. You just have to be careful with the height of the surfaces the
        road bed is going to be glued to.

        I'll eventually post a better video of the highway once the scenery is
        done.

        Best,
        Loren

      • Fred Ladd
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
          --- Loren,
          How do you keep the roadway surface from being scarred up with the
          constant scraping of magnet on visible hiway.
          Fred

          > Hi Butch,
          > Just a quick note to answer your questions........yes, there are
          magnets on
          > each vehicle, one in front and one in back to help them track.
          > No, the drive motor has no problem with the chain traveling
          > through the channel. The chain is just a tiny fraction of an inch
          below
          > the
          > road surface. The closer the better, but of course, you don't
          want it
          > rubbing. You just have to be careful with the height of the
          surfaces the
          > road bed is going to be glued to.
          >
          > I'll eventually post a better video of the highway once the
          scenery is
          > done.
          >
          > Best,
          > Loren

        • Loren
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
            Well Fred,
            Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to put a contract out on you because I'm
            about to tell you..........you ready to shoulder the awful truth?

            Truth is, the highway surface does get marred up, which in the scheme of
            highway surfaces is actually a mixed blessing? By mixed I mean that
            highways do have many different hues and shades due to weathering effects
            and road dirt, oils, etc.

            I used to look up and study trees a lot, now I look more closely at the
            roads I'm traveling on.......I'm looking down these days :o)

            On this road project I used some grayish formica and air brushed some gray
            paint on it. After a short while you see lines where the wheels and magnets
            scrape the paint a bit. It almost looks like the normal road wear you would
            expect to see on a highway surface.

            I barely had the highway up and running for NTS so it wasn't weathered or
            scenicked in any way. I will use chalks to actually make the road surface
            look more to my liking.

            There is no way to prevent the scraping effect so it is important to make
            the road surface out of something that is as close in color to what you want
            in the first place. Next project I'll use a gray formica that has some tiny
            speckles in it to help break up the appearance of solid gray highway
            surface.

            I doubt I'll ever be able to get a base color to appear exactly like I'd
            like it to, but time will tell.......life isn't perfect, nor am I.......

            I've waived the required contract Fred, your life is secure..... as long as
            you don't run out into the middle of the road.........hmmmmm

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
              So Loren what sort of engines have you got in the trucks and cars, are they
              diesels of petrol... perhaps mice... how did you shrink them to get them
              inside the cars? I am still having a problem trying to work out where the exhaust
              goes when you display it!!!!!!%%%$£"!!!

              Bob Fage (in the UK)

            • robertfage@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                OK, everyone I was joking...................

                Bob Fage (in the UK)

              • Loren
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Bob,
                  The motors are a very classified item and I can't tell, but the exhaust
                  problem is easy to explain. Since the world sucks by in large, the fumes
                  just go "down"........easy wasn't it?

                  Yes, for those who don't get it, Bob and I are kidding.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                    I still stand by my 'diesel' answer.

                    As for your exhaust explanation...I used to have a shirt that said,
                    "There's no such thing as gravity. The earth sucks."

                    John