Loren's Amazing Working Highway

  • patrick_tansey
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31 10:57 AM
      In case anyone has not see the topic and the YouTube Video as
      discussed briefly on Trainboard, I suggest you check it out:

      <http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=100145&page=6>

      Loren, this might make for a great Ztrack article. I had to watch the
      video several times because this is just something you don't usually
      see with model railroads, let alone Z. It is discussed under the topic
      NTS2008 Anaheim Report, but really deserves its own thread.

      Super job, Loren! All this time we thought you were only noted for
      pies, a great sense of humor, trees and portals. Now you can add this
      to your resume.

      Pat
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31 11:29 AM
        Thank you Pat,
        I gotta say that when the highway is full of moving cars, people just kind
        of gawk and shake their heads......."how do you do that?" they ask.

        One couple asked how I powered those cars.....I looked at them seriously,
        (is that possible?) and squinted my eyes and pinched my fingers real close
        together and in a shrill tiny voice, said......."little tiny motors" I
        think they almost believed me.:o)

        I've got some other neat projects in my head to work on........as time
        allows. First I've got to landscape that pile of granite. I think that
        module represented about 5 trillion metric tons of solid rock......felt that
        way when I lifted it into the trailer.

      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31 3:04 PM
          In a message dated 7/31/08 1:57:42 PM, pjtansey1@... writes:

          > Loren, this might make for a great Ztrack article.

          I think it would make a fabulous article!

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          Distributor American Z Line

        • Don A
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31 4:16 PM
            Loren's work is so good, it should be in one of the big national
            magazines so everyone can see what can be done in Z. Maybe put Kim's
            backhoe on the roadway side doing a little trenching.

            ...don

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31 4:57 PM
              Ok guys, I'll do some work on it and maybe someday we'll have it in print.
              Let's see now, 10% for written material, proof reading, supplying pictures
              and text, another 20%. TV interviews, newspaper covereage.....
              Ok, I think I've reached an amount I could accept for this....How does a
              $1.25 sound? See, I'm not cheap, but I can be bought....:o)

              Seriously, I need to mount a video camera on a tripod and take some really
              good video for UTube. I'll wait until I get it all land scaped and then
              we'll put it together.

              > Yes I agree, Rob, Loren's little highway delight
              > was very well conceived and crafted. Very smooth
              > and fun to watch. Let's get an article on building one
              > for ourselves!
              >
              > Reynard
              > On Jul 31, 2008, at 3:04 PM, ztrack@... wrote:
              >

              >> In a message dated 7/31/08 1:57:42 PM, pjtansey1@... writes:
              >>
              >> > Loren, this might make for a great Ztrack article.
              >> >

              >> I think it would make a fabulous article!
              >>
              >> Rob
              >>
              >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              >> Dublin, OH 43016
              >> phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              >> www.ztrack.com
              >> www.ztrackcenter.com
              >> Distributor American Z Line

            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31 5:51 PM
                Yes I agree, Rob, Loren's little highway delight
                was very well conceived and crafted. Very smooth
                and fun to watch. Let's get an article on building one
                for ourselves!

                Reynard
                On Jul 31, 2008, at 3:04 PM, ztrack@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 7/31/08 1:57:42 PM, pjtansey1@... writes:
                >
                > > Loren, this might make for a great Ztrack article.
                > >

                > I think it would make a fabulous article!
                >
                > Rob
                >
                > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                > Dublin, OH 43016
                > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                > www.ztrack.com
                > www.ztrackcenter.com
                > Distributor American Z Line

              • John Duino
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31 8:36 PM
                  > One couple asked how I powered those cars.....I looked at them seriously,
                  > (is that possible?) and squinted my eyes and pinched my fingers real close
                  > together and in a shrill tiny voice, said......."little tiny motors" I
                  > think they almost believed me.:o)

                  I told everyone "diesel." Got lots of strange stares...or was that just me?
                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31 9:34 PM
                    John,
                    If we crawled into a cage together, they'd probably throw us bananas........

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Loren,

                      Great video! Fantastic mechanics. You are a talented modeler. I would
                      love to see an article on the building of this model. I'm assuming
                      there are small magnets on the bottom of each vehicle? Do you have any
                      problems with the chain drive rubbing on the bottom side of the
                      roadway. What are the clearances? The vehicles move so smoothly.

                      Butch
                    • Loren
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                        Hi Butch,
                        Just a quick note to answer your questions........yes, there are magnets on
                        each vehicle, one in front and one in back to help them track.
                        No, the drive motor has no problem with the chain traveling
                        through the channel. The chain is just a tiny fraction of an inch below
                        the
                        road surface. The closer the better, but of course, you don't want it
                        rubbing. You just have to be careful with the height of the surfaces the
                        road bed is going to be glued to.

                        I'll eventually post a better video of the highway once the scenery is
                        done.

                        Best,
                        Loren

                      • Fred Ladd
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                          --- Loren,
                          How do you keep the roadway surface from being scarred up with the
                          constant scraping of magnet on visible hiway.
                          Fred

                          > Hi Butch,
                          > Just a quick note to answer your questions........yes, there are
                          magnets on
                          > each vehicle, one in front and one in back to help them track.
                          > No, the drive motor has no problem with the chain traveling
                          > through the channel. The chain is just a tiny fraction of an inch
                          below
                          > the
                          > road surface. The closer the better, but of course, you don't
                          want it
                          > rubbing. You just have to be careful with the height of the
                          surfaces the
                          > road bed is going to be glued to.
                          >
                          > I'll eventually post a better video of the highway once the
                          scenery is
                          > done.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > Loren

                        • Loren
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                            Well Fred,
                            Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to put a contract out on you because I'm
                            about to tell you..........you ready to shoulder the awful truth?

                            Truth is, the highway surface does get marred up, which in the scheme of
                            highway surfaces is actually a mixed blessing? By mixed I mean that
                            highways do have many different hues and shades due to weathering effects
                            and road dirt, oils, etc.

                            I used to look up and study trees a lot, now I look more closely at the
                            roads I'm traveling on.......I'm looking down these days :o)

                            On this road project I used some grayish formica and air brushed some gray
                            paint on it. After a short while you see lines where the wheels and magnets
                            scrape the paint a bit. It almost looks like the normal road wear you would
                            expect to see on a highway surface.

                            I barely had the highway up and running for NTS so it wasn't weathered or
                            scenicked in any way. I will use chalks to actually make the road surface
                            look more to my liking.

                            There is no way to prevent the scraping effect so it is important to make
                            the road surface out of something that is as close in color to what you want
                            in the first place. Next project I'll use a gray formica that has some tiny
                            speckles in it to help break up the appearance of solid gray highway
                            surface.

                            I doubt I'll ever be able to get a base color to appear exactly like I'd
                            like it to, but time will tell.......life isn't perfect, nor am I.......

                            I've waived the required contract Fred, your life is secure..... as long as
                            you don't run out into the middle of the road.........hmmmmm

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                              So Loren what sort of engines have you got in the trucks and cars, are they
                              diesels of petrol... perhaps mice... how did you shrink them to get them
                              inside the cars? I am still having a problem trying to work out where the exhaust
                              goes when you display it!!!!!!%%%$£"!!!

                              Bob Fage (in the UK)

                            • robertfage@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                                OK, everyone I was joking...................

                                Bob Fage (in the UK)

                              • Loren
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                                  Bob,
                                  The motors are a very classified item and I can't tell, but the exhaust
                                  problem is easy to explain. Since the world sucks by in large, the fumes
                                  just go "down"........easy wasn't it?

                                  Yes, for those who don't get it, Bob and I are kidding.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    I still stand by my 'diesel' answer.

                                    As for your exhaust explanation...I used to have a shirt that said,
                                    "There's no such thing as gravity. The earth sucks."

                                    John