Rough running MTL F7

  • tomfonte
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
      Hello again folks: In the process of obtaining a small stable of locos,
      I purchased a pair of SP bloody nose MTL F7s from two different
      ebayers. One of them has what I can only describe as an intermittant
      scream in either direction at any thing over 4.5 volts. The scream is
      proportional to the amt of throttle applied, that is, the more throttle
      applied, the steadier the scream becomes, although the loco doesn't
      appear to hesitating when the noise starts. The seller says he will
      replace it although he says it was track tested & half implied that I
      wanted to send him someone elses sick loco. I had told him I was
      comparing it another one I had just purchased. I am open to suggestions
      as to how to handle this as I have no experience Or the hand tools to
      investigate. Should I start a back & forth with this Guy or just send
      it to someone to crack it open to find out what is wrong ? Thanks for
      any input or advice.
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
        Tom,
        If you send it to Joe D'Amato at Micro Trains Line, he will make sure it
        runs correctly.

        > Hello again folks: In the process of obtaining a small stable of locos,
        > I purchased a pair of SP bloody nose MTL F7s from two different
        > ebayers. One of them has what I can only describe as an intermittant
        > scream in either direction at any thing over 4.5 volts. The scream is
        > proportional to the amt of throttle applied, that is, the more throttle
        > applied, the steadier the scream becomes, although the loco doesn't
        > appear to hesitating when the noise starts. The seller says he will
        > replace it although he says it was track tested & half implied that I
        > wanted to send him someone elses sick loco. I had told him I was
        > comparing it another one I had just purchased. I am open to suggestions
        > as to how to handle this as I have no experience Or the hand tools to
        > investigate. Should I start a back & forth with this Guy or just send
        > it to someone to crack it open to find out what is wrong ? Thanks for
        > any input or advice.

      • tomfonte
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

          > Tom,
          > If you send it to Joe D'Amato at Micro Trains Line, he will make
          sure it
          > runs correctly.
          > Loren
          > Thanks Loren. How do I get in touch with Joe to make arrangements?

        • Don A
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
            If you put an Analog engine on a DCC track, it will scream like a
            banshie. Don't know if this applies in your situation.

            ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomfonte" <tomfonte@...> wrote:

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Tom,
            > > If you send it to Joe D'Amato at Micro Trains Line, he will make
            > sure it
            > > runs correctly.
            > > Loren
            > > Thanks Loren. How do I get in touch with Joe to make arrangements?

          • tomfonte
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
              Thats good info Don but this was sold to me as "new" in the box & I
              was test running on a standard loop of MTL with a DC throttle.

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
                If I read your comment I understand it's just a problem of loud noise, like a coffeegrinder? I've the same on one of my F7s when I'm "Run 5" or above, and it appears it needs to be retrofited at MTL's in order to have the problem solved.

                But as mine runs well on another hand, I accept the high trottle noise as it's a good way to run it slowly!

                Dom

                Thats good info Don but this was sold to me as "new" in the box & I
                was test running on a standard loop of MTL with a DC throttle.
                > If you put an Analog engine on a DCC track, it will scream like a
                > banshie. Don't know if this applies in your situation.
                >
                > ...don
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "tomfonte" <tomfonte@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Tom,
                > > > If you send it to Joe D'Amato at Micro Trains Line, he will
                make
                > > sure it
                > > > runs correctly.
                > > > Loren
                > > > Thanks Loren. How do I get in touch with Joe to make
                arrangements?

              • Cliff Travis
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
                  Hi,
                  Your case is not unusual.
                  Your F7s can be turned into the best running (&pulling) engines
                  available by Clen Chenier.
                  Glen@teetertottertreestuff@com

                  Cliff

                • Scott Black
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
                    Gee, sounds like the tiny fireman in the loco is freaking out because
                    his engineer is  crazy driver!

                  • Glen Chenier
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2008
                      Tom,

                      It takes only a pair of flat toothpicks to pop the shell off and a
                      small flat screwdriver to undo the two chassis end screws (with the
                      wheels towards you and headlight facing to your right).

                      You will begin gaining experience the first time you do this.

                      The usual cause of the scream or shriek you described is the spurgears
                      on the motor shafts are out of position, but you can slide them on the
                      shafts to eliminate the scream.

                      See Files / DCC / DCC_and_Overhaul_MTL_F7.doc of this list item 8
                      copied below:

                      8. Test motor spur gears and bellgears tightness on shafts. Replace
                      gears if excessive slip and clean shafts with alcohol to remove
                      possible oil. Gears should be flush with ends of motor shafts, but
                      some adjustment here can reduce excessive noise. If the loco noise is
                      a buzz slide the gear slightly toward the motor, if a shriek slide the
                      gear slightly away from the motor. To determine which truck is making
                      the excess noise hold the loco with only one truck in contact with the
                      track and let the wheels spin and slip.

                      One more thing not covered is be sure the motor spur gears are not
                      installed backwards. Have seen where somebody had taken the gears off
                      and put them on backwards. There is a rounded end and a flatter end to
                      the gear teeth, the flatter end should go towards the motor and the
                      rounded end into the bellgears. This is something I learned only
                      recently.

                      Re-assembly is described in the above file, the main issues are getting
                      the wormshaft bushing tabs into the left chassis slots, getting the
                      truck towers to properly engage the chassis contact whiskers, and be
                      sure that the front coupler draft gear box is fully through the front
                      shell opening before setiing the shell in place. If the coupler is not
                      positioned properly the lower front shell can crack.

                      Do this just one time and you will have LOTS more experience that when
                      you started!