New Hallmark engine cars

  • thomasc600
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
      Any one go look NYC diesel and coach , observation what wagon top
      series is the locomotive??
    • thomasc600
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
        Any one go look NYC diesel and coach , observation what wagon top
        series is the locomotive??
      • Garth Hamilton
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
          The diesel is an F unit in NYC black and grey with white stripes and
          the passenger cars are a coach smoothside vintage late 1940's
          streamliner and the other cars is a matching boat tail
          observation/lounge car.

          They go on sale on the 12th and 13th of July in most Gold Crown Stores
          in the USA.

          cheers
          Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomasc600" <thomasc600@...> wrote:

          > Any one go look NYC diesel and coach , observation what wagon top
          > series is the locomotive??

        • Don A
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
            Are these close to Z Scale like the previous trains they have issued?

            ...don

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@...> wrote:

            > The diesel is an F unit in NYC black and grey with white stripes and
            > the passenger cars are a coach smoothside vintage late 1940's
            > streamliner and the other cars is a matching boat tail
            > observation/lounge car.
            >
            > They go on sale on the 12th and 13th of July in most Gold Crown Stores
            > in the USA.
            >
            > cheers
            > Garth
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomasc600" <thomasc600@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Any one go look NYC diesel and coach , observation what wagon top
            > > series is the locomotive??

          • Scott Black
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
              Just saw them a few hours ago. At Hallmark
              Sadly  they are no where near Z-Scale,
              more like N-27! These must have been
              based on Lionel's O-27 shorty cars from the fifties.

            • Garth Hamilton
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                Sounds like they have gone back to the previous sizing of these
                models. The FT is 3.5 inches long and an MTL z scale F unit is about
                2.75 inches long, while an N-sclae F unit is a bit over 3.5 inches in
                length. The hallmark Liberty train cars were just over 4 inches long
                which compares to the coach in this case but no info on the other
                dimensions. SO sounds like a bust for Z scale this year.

                cheers Garth

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Scott Black <lilblackscotty@...> wrote:

                > Just saw them a few hours ago. At Hallmark
                > Sadly  they are no where near Z-Scale,
                > more like N-27! These must have been
                > based on Lionel's O-27 shorty cars from the fifties.

              • Randall Smidt
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                  Typically, Hallmark uses "box scale", scaling the the ornament to fit in the box rather than adjusting the size of the box for a fixed scale. The bigger the prototype being modeled, the smaller the scale they use. The few ornaments we've seen from Hallmark that have been close to Z scale have been larger prototypes.

                  Randy

                  Garth Hamilton <garthah@...> wrote:
                  Sounds like they have gone back to the previous sizing of these
                  models. The FT is 3.5 inches long and an MTL z scale F unit is about
                  2.75 inches long, while an N-sclae F unit is a bit over 3.5 inches in
                  length. The hallmark Liberty train cars were just over 4 inches long
                  which compares to the coach in this case but no info on the other
                  dimensions. SO sounds like a bust for Z scale this year.

                  cheers Garth

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Scott Black <lilblackscotty@...> wrote:

                  > Just saw them a few hours ago. At Hallmark
                  > Sadly they are no where near Z-Scale,
                  > more like N-27! These must have been
                  > based on Lionel's O-27 shorty cars from the fifties.

                • David George
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                    OK,,,,no new Hallmark for you.
                    D.
                    Sounds like they have gone back to the previous sizing of these
                    models. The FT is 3.5 inches long and an MTL z scale F unit is about
                    2.75 inches long, while an N-sclae F unit is a bit over 3.5 inches in
                    length. The hallmark Liberty train cars were just over 4 inches long
                    which compares to the coach in this case but no info on the other
                    dimensions. SO sounds like a bust for Z scale this year.

                    cheers Garth

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Scott Black <lilblackscotty@...> wrote:

                    > Just saw them a few hours ago. At Hallmark
                    > Sadly they are no where near Z-Scale,
                    > more like N-27! These must have been
                    > based on Lionel's O-27 shorty cars from the fifties.

                  • Loren
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                      Hey Dave,
                      When do you leave for NTS?
                      Karin and I leave Medford Sunday afternoon,

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 10, 2008
                        Loren,
                        Our grand daughter,,Amanda ( from Denver,Colo.),,will be with us on the trip. She flies down here tomorrow,Friday.
                        I think we will leave on Sunday afternoon ,too ,,,,after Judi plays her round of golf.
                        Pulling a trailer at 60 mph for 1700plus miles will be taxing.
                        See you guys soon.
                        Mister Dave
                        Karin and I leave Medford Sunday afternoon,

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 10, 2008
                          Just goes to prove how dedicated you are to showing Z scale.
                          I salute you.

                          See you folks soon,
                          Loren

                          PS. What size is your trailer? What do you do about controlling inside
                          trailer temperatures to keep everything from warping? This is a big concern
                          of mine. I'd hate to see all of our hard work get "out of shape" and
                          useless.

                          > Our grand daughter,,Amanda ( from Denver,Colo.),,will be with us on the
                          > trip. She flies down here tomorrow,Friday.
                          > I think we will leave on Sunday afternoon ,too ,,,,after Judi plays her
                          > round of golf.
                          > Pulling a trailer at 60 mph for 1700plus miles will be taxing.
                          > See you guys soon.
                          > Mister Dave

                        • David Epling
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 10, 2008
                            Interesting question, one of our volunteers and I were out and about Tuesday
                            and among our stops was Smart and Final for Sodas and Water for the gift
                            shop and we were concerned the extreme heat would affect the bottles and
                            cans. We discovered that if we opened the sliding window between the truck
                            and the camper shell that it cooled off considerably with just the truck's
                            (Dodge Ram 2500) AC unit. So this is how we will be transporting the WP in Z
                            to the NTS next week.

                            I know that doesn't address the issue of the trailer, but I thought it was
                            interesting

                            David

                            > Our grand daughter,,Amanda ( from Denver,Colo.),,will be with us on the
                            > trip. She flies down here tomorrow,Friday.
                            > I think we will leave on Sunday afternoon ,too ,,,,after Judi plays her
                            > round of golf.
                            > Pulling a trailer at 60 mph for 1700plus miles will be taxing.
                            > See you guys soon.
                            > Mister Dave

                          • Loren
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 10, 2008
                              Interesting indeed, but when you stop and go inside for a spell, you need to
                              leave the windows open a bit for ventilation.
                              My trailer is air tight so I don't know what to do at the moment. I'm not
                              about to drill a hole and install a fan or vent.......hmmmmm.