turn-out switch panel

  • tomfonte
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hello & help! Recently saw a nice looking turn-out panel with 24 3pos
      toggle switches with their individual sets of green & red turn-out
      indicators. Question: when these boards are fabricated, are the relays
      that provide the holding contact circuits for the indicators usually
      incorporated behind the panel. I can only view the box from the front &
      the seller is not a model train guy.
    • Don A
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomfonte" <tomfonte@...> wrote:

        > Hello & help! Recently saw a nice looking turn-out panel with 24 3pos
        > toggle switches with their individual sets of green & red turn-out
        > indicators. Question: when these boards are fabricated, are the relays
        > that provide the holding contact circuits for the indicators usually
        > incorporated behind the panel. I can only view the box from the front &
        > the seller is not a model train guy.

        I am working on somewhat the same situation. In my case I am using
        ATLAS 200 switch relays to control the LED's since they are steady
        state. The toggle switch is a momentary switch and it controls the
        MTL Turnout motors and obviously send a shot of power to the ATLAS
        switch at the same time. The toggles & LED's are mounted on the
        control panel and the ATLAS are mounted on a couple of shelves beneath
        the control panel. I think trying to mount all twenty four Atlas on
        the underside of the panel would take way too much real estate
        especially with switches somewhat irregularly places plus all the
        LED's. Contract me off-forum/direct if you would like some photos as
        to my setup.

        ...don
      • tomfonte
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomfonte" <tomfonte@...> wrote:

          > Hello & help! Recently saw a nice looking turn-out panel with 24 3pos
          > toggle switches with their individual sets of green & red turn-out
          > indicators. Question: when these boards are fabricated, are the
          relays
          > that provide the holding contact circuits for the indicators usually
          > incorporated behind the panel. I can only view the box from the front
          &
          > the seller is not a model train guy.

          Thanks Don: Yes , I know the the set-up of which you speak. It means
          about another $150.00 under the table investment. Wishful thinking on
          my part for miniature control relays behind the panel.
        • Don A
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomfonte" <tomfonte@...> wrote:

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomfonte" <tomfonte@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello & help! Recently saw a nice looking turn-out panel with 24 3pos
            > > toggle switches with their individual sets of green & red turn-out
            > > indicators. Question: when these boards are fabricated, are the
            > relays
            > > that provide the holding contact circuits for the indicators usually
            > > incorporated behind the panel. I can only view the box from the front
            > &
            > > the seller is not a model train guy.
            > >
            > Thanks Don: Yes , I know the the set-up of which you speak. It means
            > about another $150.00 under the table investment. Wishful thinking on
            > my part for miniature control relays behind the panel.

            You could always make your own. I have seen a layout with home made
            relays and they were GOOD. Not really hard. My estimate for
            materials is less than a nickel each. $1.25 should be within budget.

            ...don

          • David K. Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008
              Relays for this sort of application can be had from surplus suppliers
              for as little as a buck apiece. Example:

              http://www.electronicsurplus.com/ccc1746-relays.htm

              http://www.electronicsurplus.com/ccp71851-12vdc-dpdt-1a-dip-lm12d00-
              7016.htm

              I mounted my relays on the back of the panel, right beside the toggle
              switches, using double-stick foam tape.