Re: [Z_Scale] 16 days to NTS

  • W.R.Dixon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 5:33 PM
      Bill Hoshiko wrote:
      > Hi all,

      Is there going to be a meeting area for Z heads before the National
      Train show?

      I was wondering as my wife and I will be there for the convention and
      may have time to help with the setup.

      Regards
      Bill Dixon
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 5:53 PM
        Bill, You may find this site more valuable:

        As you question there. Not being in charge it looks to me like the
      • John Duino
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 7:10 PM
          More details, as Jim mentioned, is in the Z_NTS2008 files. Just get in and
          come to our areas...I'm sure we can put you to work! :)

          > Bill Hoshiko wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>

          > Is there going to be a meeting area for Z heads before the National
          > Train show?
          >
          > I was wondering as my wife and I will be there for the convention and
          > may have time to help with the setup.
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5 11:09 AM
            Hi Bill D,

            Sorry to be getting back to you so late.

            The best way to meet with the guys is to drop by on Wed Jul 16 between
            noon and 6:00 PM. You will have to pay the $10.00 to park. You enter
            the parking lot from West St. There is a separate exhibitors parking
            lot entrance. You don't need a badge or anything, just tell them that
            you are an exhibitor at the Train Show. They will tell you where to
            park. They can also direct you to the exhibitor's entrance. Once
            inside, locate one of the two sites where Z scale will be set up. You
            will be welcomed with open arms.

            On Wednesday the Convention Center closes at 6:00 pm. It is a Union
            Shop so they don't linger. There should be a large contingent of Z
            scale attendees from out of the city and out of state. They will be
            looking for someplace to eat dinner. I can't speak for the Hotel
            restaurants but there are several within walking distance along
            Katilla Blvd. and they are designed for families with kids. McDonalds
            is up Harbor Blvd toward the freeway.

            On Thursday, be there by 8:00 am. Sometimes a food concession is open
            for business. You might want to stop somewhere before you arrive at
            the Convention Center and buy a sandwich or two and some drinks. If
            you drive out of the parking lot, you will have to pay another $10.00
            to get back in. Another solution is to walk to one of the nearby
            hotels and eat there.

            By the end of the day, Thursday, we must have everything up and
            running. Some of the guys don't like to leave their valuable train
            stuff overnight at the show. They have a lot of security in the
            convention center and there are many valuable show items that are left
            over night. During our two + years of exhibiting, I have never heard
            anyone complain of overnight theft. I would be aware of light
            fingered people during the show. Not the kids, the adults.

            Again, there will be a lot of out of towners who will be looking for a
            place to eat on Wednesday and Thursday evening.

            On Friday, be there before 8:00 am. Eat breakfast before arrival.
            The doors to the show will be opened for the NMRA Conventioneers at
            9:00 am. From then on to 6:00 pm will be SHOW TIME. Many times the
            guys are so busy talking to people that they don't even get a chance
            to eat.

            Saturday and Sunday you can't get in 'till 9:00 am. The crowds start
            at 10:00. On Saturday it closes at 6:30 and John Duino is planning on
            a massive dinner. Pizza, Pizza. (As much as some of you want Fillet
            Mignon I don't think that John will find a place unless he guarantees
            a lot of money. Who is volunteering their charge card?) Anaheim is a
            World convention center. The Angels of Los Angeles will be hosting
            the Boston Red Soxs 7/18 to 7/20 and they are only a few blocks away.
            And the unforgettable Disneyland is just across the street.

            If you are bringing family to visit Disneyland, get to the park early.
            In the Summer, Disneyland fills up before Noon and even if you have
            "Annual Passes" you can't get in. California Adventures usually does
            not fill up everyday but this year could be different. The high cost
            of oil is rising the prices on traveling. On top of that we will have
            a lot of Europeans visiting Southern California because our dollar has
            fallen so much. For them, $800.00 for the whole family for four days
            at Disneyland is "cheap". On top of that add the cost of the hotels.
            I've seen it happen before. Families from France, Canada and Ireland
            with a whole slew of kids saying that they are so happy that the cheap
            dollar has made their trip to Disneyland cheap. They didn't use the
            word affordable, they said cheap.

            If you have never been to a NTS or if you have but you did not belong
            to any exhibitor group, this visit will be different. Having a "home
            base" at the show makes it a lot easier. We should have seats and a
            place to store your extra "stuff". You will meet a lot of guys and
            gals who will share all of their Z scale knowledge with you. Don't be
            afraid to say hello. Even the nastiest looking guys can be charming.

            I hope that this helps. And also, what is this "may have time to help
            with the setup" stuff.

            Bill
            El Toro, CA

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "W.R.Dixon" <WRDixon@...> wrote:

            > Bill Hoshiko wrote:
            > > Hi all,
            > >

            > Is there going to be a meeting area for Z heads before the National
            > Train show?
            >
            > I was wondering as my wife and I will be there for the convention and
            > may have time to help with the setup.
            >
            > Regards
            > Bill Dixon

          • W.R.Dixon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5 11:39 PM
              Bill Hoshiko wrote:
              > Hi Bill D,
              >
              > Sorry to be getting back to you so late.

              Thank you Bill, much good info. I have printed and added to my
              convention package.

              We are staying a block or two away from the convention hotel and
              convention center so parking will not be an issue. My appearance will
              depend on other activities but I will make some time to help.

              It is going to be a long two day drive for us (two drivers) coming down
              from British Columbia for the convention proper but looking forward to
              it. Many things to do; tours, clinics, user groups, old friends to meet
              up with, new friends to make. It will be a great time. Going to melt the
              C/Cs a bit though especially if there are too many goodies there.<G>

              Regards
              Bill Dixon