ultrasonic cleaner question

  • elf_rohirrim
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
      Question -- how do you know if an ultrasonic cleaner is "working"?

      I have one that makes a "buzzing" sound when first turned on. The sound fades out after 5-
      10 seconds and the unit "turns itself off" after 3 minutes. (By "turn off", I mean that the e ON
      light goes out.) In side the unit (thru the clear cover) I see nothing happening. I have only
      used the unit a couple of times to try cleaning a couple of items which were not very dirty,
      but were dusty; they come out cleaner, but that could simply be the effect of water with a
      drop or two of dish detergent.

      Before dropping in a locomotive for a cleaning, I am wondering how to know if the unit is
      actually working or not.

      Any suggestions?

      Z-Elf
    • Karin E. Snyder
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2008
        Hi Eric,

        After decades of using ultrasonic cleaners on the job I found that there is
        one unmistakable way to determine whether the cleaner is indeed ultrasonic
        and working properly. Simply put your finger in the solution while the
        cleaner is "On". Seriously. It doesn't damage your finger for the short
        time you have it in there and it isn't bad like an electrical shock. Your
        finger should feel the slight pain (more of a tingling) from the ultrasound
        waves as this is how medical labs separate the white cells from the red
        blood cells in blood samples. Honestly, it the cheapest and fastest method!
        Also, make sure that you have the ultrasonic at least 3/4 full so that the
        sound waves have enough room to do their thing. You can also damage a
        cleaner real fast by running it without enough fluid in it.

        And, as you might guess, the cheaper the cleaner the less effective it is.
        A professional strength jewelers ultrasonic cleaner runs a bit over $300 but
        I found a good one on the popular auction site for $65, new and just fine
        for the hobby.

        Hope this helps,
        Karin

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2008
          Karin, do you have a link to the seller. I need to make sure my wife's
          jewelry is clean. :D

          Thanks

          John
          > After decades of using ultrasonic cleaners on the job I found that there
          > is
          > one unmistakable way to determine whether the cleaner is indeed ultrasonic
          > and working properly. Simply put your finger in the solution while the
          > cleaner is "On". Seriously. It doesn't damage your finger for the short
          > time you have it in there and it isn't bad like an electrical shock. Your
          > finger should feel the slight pain (more of a tingling) from the
          > ultrasound
          > waves as this is how medical labs separate the white cells from the red
          > blood cells in blood samples. Honestly, it the cheapest and fastest
          > method!
          > Also, make sure that you have the ultrasonic at least 3/4 full so that the
          > sound waves have enough room to do their thing. You can also damage a
          > cleaner real fast by running it without enough fluid in it.
          >
          > And, as you might guess, the cheaper the cleaner the less effective it is.
          > A professional strength jewelers ultrasonic cleaner runs a bit over $300
          > but
          > I found a good one on the popular auction site for $65, new and just fine
          > for the hobby.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Karin

        • Karin E. Snyder
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2008
            Okay John, I must explain... I was a goldsmith for many years. Most folks
            probably have no idea how deeply imbedded the polishing compounds get into
            the piece, especially underneath tiny gemstones that a brush could never get
            to. Funnier yet is how women would probably freak if they saw firescale and
            the polishing gunk on their expensive jewelry! We made it a habit of not
            showing it to them before the ultrasonic and steam cleaner had a chance to
            do their magic. It was okay that my fingers were stained black from the
            compounds but the jewelry had to be sparkling! The ultrsoundwaves get into
            the smallest of crevasses to clean out the gunk. I depended on that
            ultrasonic as much as my hand tools, I was just more attached to my hand
            tools. Ultrasonics can be replaced, hand tools are precious to me forever
            -}

            Another tip to those using one of these; it is best if you can use a rack in
            it to try to center your larger pieces in the tank as that is the "sweet
            spot" of this machine. If you are cleaning a brass engine body the last
            thing you want it to do is to let it rattle on the bottom where it will
            become scratched for the lack of protection.

            I may not know how to answer most of the technical questions here but Eric
            hit one that I know well. There are many tips I can give for the modeler
            who wants to get the best, most efficient results with their ultrasonic
            cleaner. Just email away. And if you truly want the brand name of my own
            cleaner I will go downstairs and check for you. I doubt I have the link
            anymore.

            Karin

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 25, 2008
              Karin, I know about your previous occupation. I read most of your post,
              because most of it its good advice. I would like to know what brand it is.
              I can always google it. By the way, I am more interested in cleaning my
              jewels, and they are not made of gold or gem stones.

              Thanks

              John
              > Okay John, I must explain... I was a goldsmith for many years. Most
              > folks
              > probably have no idea how deeply imbedded the polishing compounds get into
              > the piece, especially underneath tiny gemstones that a brush could never
              > get
              > to. Funnier yet is how women would probably freak if they saw firescale
              > and
              > the polishing gunk on their expensive jewelry! We made it a habit of not
              > showing it to them before the ultrasonic and steam cleaner had a chance to
              > do their magic. It was okay that my fingers were stained black from the
              > compounds but the jewelry had to be sparkling! The ultrsoundwaves get
              > into
              > the smallest of crevasses to clean out the gunk. I depended on that
              > ultrasonic as much as my hand tools, I was just more attached to my hand
              > tools. Ultrasonics can be replaced, hand tools are precious to me forever
              > -}
              >
              > Another tip to those using one of these; it is best if you can use a rack
              > in
              > it to try to center your larger pieces in the tank as that is the "sweet
              > spot" of this machine. If you are cleaning a brass engine body the last
              > thing you want it to do is to let it rattle on the bottom where it will
              > become scratched for the lack of protection.
              >
              > I may not know how to answer most of the technical questions here but Eric
              > hit one that I know well. There are many tips I can give for the modeler
              > who wants to get the best, most efficient results with their ultrasonic
              > cleaner. Just email away. And if you truly want the brand name of my own
              > cleaner I will go downstairs and check for you. I doubt I have the link
              > anymore.
              >
              > Karin

            • Karin E. Snyder
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 25, 2008
                John, sorry about that...

                It doesn't have a brand name, which is probably the reason I could afford
                one this grade, but it is called "Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner CD-4820". The
                ultrasonic frequency is 42,000 Hz. Stainless steel tank size is 10.4" x 6
                46" x 3.15" (I'm reading the booklet here). Tank capacity 2500 ml or 5.29
                pt -max level 4.44 pts and min level is 1.27 pts but I wouldn't go that low.
                Digital timer.

                Hope this helped,
                Karin

                Karin, I would like to know what brand it is.
                .

              • jeffcrist2002
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
                  Thanks Karin. It was very easy to find.

                  John
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Snyder" <ladyrejoicer@...>
                  wrote:

                  > John, sorry about that...
                  >
                  > It doesn't have a brand name, which is probably the reason I could
                  afford
                  > one this grade, but it is called "Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner CD-
                  4820". The
                  > ultrasonic frequency is 42,000 Hz. Stainless steel tank size is
                  10.4" x 6
                  > 46" x 3.15" (I'm reading the booklet here). Tank capacity 2500 ml
                  or 5.29
                  > pt -max level 4.44 pts and min level is 1.27 pts but I wouldn't go
                  that low.
                  > Digital timer.
                  >
                  > Hope this helped,
                  > Karin

                • Karin E. Snyder
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
                    Oh, and John... if you go to ebay to look for a rack to fit inside (a good
                    thing to have for hanging items centrally) do NOT get it from the
                    watchtoolguy"! He ripped me off big time but at least PayPal refunded me
                    the full amount. I say this because if you do a search for the rack (aka
                    ring rack) his store will come up. I need to get one so whoever finds one
                    please tell the other.

                    A good way to hang a part in the tank is to use one or two of those plastic
                    coated paper clips and bend it to shape to fit through a cab window
                    (hopefully!) and hook it to the rack or something you can jury rig to
                    suspend it. Sometimes the rack will enable you to lay it across it.

                    Please tell me/us what the best solution is for non metal parts to use in
                    this cleaner? I know nothing about plastics in this cleaner. Can you put
                    brake fluid in it to strip paint off of an engine shell without damaging it?
                    I guess starting out with short times will answer that one.

                    Glad you found the machine. If you end up hating it then it wasn't me who
                    told you a thing about it :)

                    Karin