Z Progress Report

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2008
      Hey Guys,

      Its been a long week but I did get a chance to do some more work on
      the layout, and I took some quick pix.

      I have built a small test layout that is hooked up to my laptop.
      Here's the test bench:

      http://users.rcn.com/mrex/nakedmarklin/images/layout%203%20quarter_sm.jpg

      The layout is being run by a Digitrax DCS100. The turnouts are
      connected to the rails by a Marklin k83. There is a DT400 Throttle
      hooked up to the DCS100, and the laptop is also hooked up with a USB
      LocoBuffer. The laptop is running Rocrail,

      I can run the layout from the DT400, or from Rocrail on the laptop.

      If you examine the laptop screen, you'll see I have a diagram of the
      layout up, as well as windows letting me control the 2 Geep locs.

      Here is a very fuzzy screen shot:

      http://users.rcn.com/mrex/nakedmarklin/images/screen%20shot.jpg

      Its easier to use Rocrail than it is to use the Digitrax DT400 as a
      controller, although there is nothing wrong with the DT400. With
      Rocrail, I just click on a turnout or slide the loc's throttle bar up
      and down instead of having to press button after button after button
      and then turn a knob or something on the DT400.

      Note that the computer is acting as nothing more than another Throttle
      on the layout right now. There are no sensors in the layout to give
      the computer "eyes" so it knows where the locs and cars are. My next
      step will be to solder some track and create some current detection
      sensors so I can set up a simple "back and forth" layout with isolated
      track and blocks.

      BTW, I want to thank all of you for your posts, and apologize for not
      always replying to them. Particulary Alan Cox, all your valuable
      advice has been noted.

      And, as a result of some of the track work I've had to do, I'll make
      some other posts this week about servicing turnouts and spacing rails
      for expansion/compression due to temperature and humidity changes.

      Signed,
      Mark Z Newb
    • Robert Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
        Nice work Mark! I have never heard of that software before, but the
        screen shots look alot like Panel Pro. Where did you find that software?

        -Robert Ray
      • Garth Hamilton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
          Robert

          <http://www.rocrail.net/> is the URL for the software.

          cheers
          Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@...> wrote:

          > Nice work Mark! I have never heard of that software before, but the
          > screen shots look alot like Panel Pro. Where did you find that
          software?

          > -Robert Ray

        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
            http://www.rocrail.net

            I've been working with them for over a year now.