Re: Z Scale specific events at NTS Anaheim??

  • Don A
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
      Dave George's group will probably have at least 6.

      ...don

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff BAZ-man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

      > OMG ! Benjamin !! Make sure you keep up with the recommended ZoCal
      > and Z_NTS2008 sites for updates as Jim pointed out.
      >
      > The BAZ BoyZ will also be there in force with 13 modules plus Loren
      > and Karen Snyder from So Oregon. Steve and other are coming from up
      > there too. So lots of us familiar Left Coast folks to bond with.
      >
      > But, events, there on the fly. We arrive on Wednesday afternoon to
      > drop off modules. Thursday is all long day setup. Friday morning 9-
      > 12 is non-public showing (special folks) and then 12 noon Friday thru
      > Sunday is showtime. We're staying Sunday night, driving back up
      > Monday.
      >
      > Just keep in touch with the booth and give one of us BAZ BoyZ your
      > mobile and we'll ring you up. There is a large sports bar about 1.5
      > miles from there that can handle our 40+ Z crowd but I think it will
      > be more like 20 as others have family, etc.
      >
      > Jeff
      > SF Bay Area Z
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@>
      > wrote:

      > > CCRR
      > >

      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@>
      > > wrote:

      > > > Cheers, Jim CCRR
      > > >

      > > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin LaMar" <tedlamar@>

      > EG,
      > > the

    • David Epling
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
        We are still debating bringing the WP in Z. Our Society President is
        concerned with fuel costs for a 1050 mile round trip with a diesel pickup
        pulling a trailer
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
          Z scale activities in Anaheim....

          Saturday night dinner for the Z scalers! The tradition must continue...

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com

        • David Epling
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
            Thanks Jim for the caboose update, I am not sure what can be done as of yet.
            Our Board of Directors meet this Saturday here at the museum and I am going
            to argue my position on this. My position is that we go, but at 4.70 a
            gallon for diesel x 1050 miles, it is going to be a matter of justifying a
            5,000.00 fuel expense alone in an era where museum visitor levels are down
            25% due to fuel costs, that plus the costs of the trip itself for at least 2
            of us in food and lodging. (But I have a plan for that to help my case with
            the Board). The only reason we are even having a regular booth at the show
            is because of FRRS members in the LA area that are stepping up to man it.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
              Rob,
              Where, When, How much?
              SEARAILS will provide a copy of its "Fire House Five" as a door prize (if needed) to help promote this event.
              C-13 FIRE HOUSE FIVE $80 unpainted/$150 painted includes:
              C-14 ’58 AMBULANCE $10/$20
              C-15 ’68 FIRE PUMPER $25/$50
              C-16 ’72 FIRE LADDER $30/$60
              C-17 ’75 EMT VAN $15/$30
              C-18 ’58 FIRE CHIEF’S CAR $10/$20
              What else can SEARAILS do to support this event?
              Jim

            • harbormaster@searails.com

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Reynard,
                  The Saturday night dinner has always been open to all Z scalers.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                    In a message dated 6/4/08 1:01:43 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                    > The Saturday night dinner has always been open to all Z scalers.

                    That is true. It is a long standing tradition. Typically, we enlist one of
                    the spouses in attendance to gather the names and find a restaurant that is
                    convenient and can host a large party. Sorry, guys, don't look to me for this! I
                    would not have a clue as to what is in and around Anaheim. LOL!

                    Let's see, last year we ate at an excellent Italian restaurant. I can't
                    remember the name, but the food was out of this world. In Philadelphia, we did a
                    local brewery restaurant. Yum, Beer.... Let's see, Cincinnati we did Uno Pizza.
                    That was one large crowd! Seattle, we also did a local microbrewery
                    restaurant. Okay, the mind is foggy, but I am trying to remember what we did in Ft.
                    Lauderdale and St. Louis.

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com
                    www.ztrackcenter.com

                  • Reynard Wellman
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008

                      http://www.micronart.com
                      On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:35 AM, ztrack@... wrote:

                      > Z scale activities in Anaheim....
                      >
                      > Saturday night dinner for the Z scalers! The tradition must
                      > continue...
                      >
                      > Rob
                      >
                      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > Dublin, OH 43016
                      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      > www.ztrack.com
                      > www.ztrackcenter.com

                    • Don A
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                        I'm pretty sure it has been Garth Hamilton's wife, Dora and Dave
                        Georges'a wife Judi, that have found these good places. It seems to
                        me in Philadelphia we had almost 50 people in attendance - which means
                        an eatery of only 40 in Anaheim is NOT going to be close to adequate.

                        ...don

                        > In a message dated 6/4/08 1:01:43 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:
                        >

                        > > The Saturday night dinner has always been open to all Z scalers.
                        > >

                        > That is true. It is a long standing tradition. Typically, we enlist
                        one of
                        > the spouses in attendance to gather the names and find a restaurant
                        that is
                        > convenient and can host a large party. Sorry, guys, don't look to me
                        for this! I
                        > would not have a clue as to what is in and around Anaheim. LOL!
                        >
                        > Let's see, last year we ate at an excellent Italian restaurant. I can't
                        > remember the name, but the food was out of this world. In
                        Philadelphia, we did a
                        > local brewery restaurant. Yum, Beer.... Let's see, Cincinnati we did
                        Uno Pizza.
                        > That was one large crowd! Seattle, we also did a local microbrewery
                        > restaurant. Okay, the mind is foggy, but I am trying to remember
                        what we did in Ft.
                        > Lauderdale and St. Louis.
                        >
                        > Rob
                        >

                        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        > Dublin, OH 43016
                        > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        > www.ztrack.com
                        > www.ztrackcenter.com

                      • Michael Hilliard
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                          We'd love to see you in 2009 Reynard. The Tri State Z Scalers are already signed up for space in Hartford.

                          Michael Hilliard
                          Wilton, CT USA

                          > That's very nice. I'm glad to see that the
                          > Saturday dinner has been opened up to all
                          > Z scalers.
                          >
                          > Maybe I'll do a booth for the 2009 NTS show.
                          >
                          > Reynard

                        • John Duino
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                            But the first half is all downhill, so that should help ;-)

                            > We are still debating bringing the WP in Z. Our Society President is
                            > concerned with fuel costs for a 1050 mile round trip with a diesel pickup
                            > pulling a trailer
                          • John Duino
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                              I partially replied to this elsewhere, but figured I could start a new
                              thread with this, too.

                              Yes, we are planning a dinner for saturday night (I think I somehow
                              volunteered for organizing it). But I need a head count, and the earlier
                              the better. I'm hoping for a REALLY large crowd, but that also limits
                              where we can go. Also gotta try to keep it reasonably priced. Decisions
                              decisions...if there is one thing SoCal is NOT lacking is places to eat
                              out.

                              Anyway, everyone who plans to attend PLEASE reply with a head count for
                              saturday evening dinner ASAP. If you belong to the Z_NTS2008 yahoo group I
                              prefer you answer there (less traffic), and please keep the header with it
                              so I can find it easier (I receive several HUNDRED emails/day, not
                              including spam).

                              Thanks and I *REALLY* look forward to seeing/meeting/training with everyone!

                              John
                              (ZoCal Social Committe Chairman???)

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                I think Dave goofed on his cost estimate. He said $5,000 for fuel. I think
                                he meant $500 instead.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                  Yeah, I was sitting at my desk a while ago re-doing the math and duh....the
                                  truck gets more than 1 mile per gallon....hey in my defense, I am tired, my
                                  model railroad layout is actually 37 acres and 12" = 1' scale. So when I
                                  move locomotives and cars, I have to get on and off them. LOL

                                  And while I was doing this brainstorming, it occurred to me, that I could
                                  probably tow the trailer with my Expedition as regular unleaded is damn near
                                  a buck cheaper in these parts.

                                  I think Dave goofed on his cost estimate. He said $5,000 for fuel. I think
                                  he meant $500 instead.

                                  > But the first half is all downhill, so that should help ;-)
                                  >
                                  >> We are still debating bringing the WP in Z. Our Society President is
                                  >> concerned with fuel costs for a 1050 mile round trip with a diesel pickup
                                  >> pulling a trailer

                                • David Epling
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                    actually about 115 mils of the 546 is downhill. (Don't ask me to do the
                                    math, we all seen how well I do math today Hehe)

                                    But the first half is all downhill, so that should help ;-)

                                    > We are still debating bringing the WP in Z. Our Society President is
                                    > concerned with fuel costs for a 1050 mile round trip with a diesel pickup
                                    > pulling a trailer

                                  • David Epling
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                      Maybe, I'll know more Saturday as I still have to get passed our Board

                                      > Yeah, I was sitting at my desk a while ago re-doing the math and
                                      > duh....the
                                      > truck gets more than 1 mile per gallon....hey in my defense, I am tired,
                                      > my
                                      > model railroad layout is actually 37 acres and 12" = 1' scale. So when I
                                      > move locomotives and cars, I have to get on and off them. LOL
                                      >
                                      > And while I was doing this brainstorming, it occurred to me, that I could
                                      > probably tow the trailer with my Expedition as regular unleaded is damn
                                      > near
                                      > a buck cheaper in these parts.

                                    • Loren
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                        So Dave,
                                        We just might see you, uh huh?

                                        > Yeah, I was sitting at my desk a while ago re-doing the math and
                                        > duh....the
                                        > truck gets more than 1 mile per gallon....hey in my defense, I am tired,
                                        > my
                                        > model railroad layout is actually 37 acres and 12" = 1' scale. So when I
                                        > move locomotives and cars, I have to get on and off them. LOL
                                        >
                                        > And while I was doing this brainstorming, it occurred to me, that I could
                                        > probably tow the trailer with my Expedition as regular unleaded is damn
                                        > near
                                        > a buck cheaper in these parts.

                                      • Jim O'Connell
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                          David, Actually any round trip on the same road is half down and half
                                          up! In a metaphysical sense I guess that means that the trip is a flat
                                          road. How Zen. Hope to see you there. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                        • David Epling
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                            Touché I hope to be there.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                              Not always...when I was a kid we had to walk 20 miles, each way, uphill,
                                              to school, in the snow, barefoot, carrying our siblings, in the dark....

                                              And believe me, growing up in SoCal that's tough to do! :)

                                              > David, Actually any round trip on the same road is half down and half
                                              > up! In a metaphysical sense I guess that means that the trip is a flat
                                              > road. How Zen. Hope to see you there. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                            • David George
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                                John,
                                                We will be 6 from the "G~B&CC".

                                                David & Judi George
                                                Garth & Dora Hamilton
                                                Don and Judy Avila

                                                Thanks for your big help in organizing all of these things for the Z Heads from around the country.
                                                Cordially,
                                                Mister Dave

                                              • Jeff BAZ-man
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
                                                  Dave, I take it that the WP layout isn't coming with you ?

                                                  Jeff
                                                  SF Bay Area Z

                                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                                                  > Maybe, I'll know more Saturday as I still have to get passed our
                                                  Board

                                                • David Epling
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 5, 2008
                                                    Don't know yet.