Re: [Z_Scale] Selecting the right ballast...

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2008
      > the woodland scenics type available in Europe through faller.
      > I would like to know how stable this material is when fixed

      I've used woodland scenics stuff for ballast and its ok. Lots of shades,
      nice and soft. Bit chunky for Z but better than fine stone which is a
      health hazard and a mechanism hazard if nothing else.

      > with the cement suggested by the instruction on the back of
      > the package. I would also like to know how strong is it for

      I've never bothered with the official cement. I've always used 1 part PVA
      glue, 3-5parts water, and a spot of washing up liquid (surface tension
      reducer) put on in small drops with a spoon. That will set the woodland
      scenics stuff nicely and it sets like a rock. You can drill it, hammer it
      and patch it up again just fine. The one thing you might not be able to
      do is get track back up without damaging the rails, as you'll need a
      chisel.

      Alan