Re: New to Z not to Trains

  • vincentgoudreault
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2008

      (...)

      > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
      > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
      > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
      > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
      > broke the couplers on grades.

      So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
      would that be?

      CBVG
    • Jim Thomas
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2008
        The most I have successfully pulled with 2 MT f7's has been 60 cars.
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2008
          Hello Vincent,

          They were AZL UP PA6 A-B-A (have since sold the set).
          At the time we were running on a Z Bend module setup with a
          Tehatchapi style loop at 2% grade. The PA6 couplers are body
          mounted MTL couplers. 65, refers & boxcars & caboose.
          The coupler was very easy to replace...
          so dare to test the limits ;>)

          If the train is long enough and heavy enough, you can also
          make the entire thing snap-line jump off the track in a
          spectacular fashion! Along loop backs, even at level grade, it
          is good to remember that Z scale is like herding grasshoppers;
          the wheel flange to rail edge will only hold the little beasts for a
          limited amount of pressure/tension before they altogether
          decide to take a leap into the abyss.

          Best regardZ,
          Reynard
          http://www.micronart.com

          On May 2, 2008, at 2:25 AM, vincentgoudreault wrote:

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
          > >
          > (...)
          > >
          > > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
          > > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
          > > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
          > > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
          > > broke the couplers on grades.
          > >

          > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
          > would that be?
          >
          > CBVG

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5, 2008
            > > > How well doe's the current Z operate?

            Not so bad indeed! <grin> Just look at the video
            below...

            http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=22OXK1rGuuQ

            When arriving on the turnout the loco slows down very
            sharply. That's normal, in my opinion it was far too
            fast so I throttled it down.....The cellular phone
            helps to have in mind it's Z scale....

            Dom

            En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
            http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2008
              > I've
              > run
              > > trains that were so long that the weight of the
              > cars
              > > broke the couplers on grades.
              > >

              > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening,
              > how long a train
              > would that be?
              >
              > CBVG

              I guess it' the same than on the prototype: it depends
              on slope and curve radii. And if the trains are due to
              be longer, one solution, add helper units!