Re: New to Z not to Trains

  • Don A
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      George:

      Not sure how long a consist you want, but with two GP35 I have 27
      additional pieces at the time rumbling down the ways. Every month as
      new stock comes out I just add it to the end. Eventually the train
      stalls or I round out of space. With 27 cars I can run almost dead
      stop [DCC] to a pretty high scale speed. This is a train considerably
      more that 4 feet long and with my layout only 4x8 I never do see the
      whole train at the same time.

      ...don

      > Hello George,
      > I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
      > first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
      > all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
      > to the average income since then.
      >
      > Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
      > have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
      > and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
      > a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
      > delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
      > but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
      > small mass and complexity.
      >
      > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
      > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
      > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
      > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
      > broke the couplers on grades.
      >
      > For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
      > and realistic grades you should expect operations
      > to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.
      >
      > Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
      > Reynard
      > http://www.micronart.com
      >
      > On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:
      >
      > > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
      > > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
      > > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
      > > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
      > > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
      > > Thanks much, George!

    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Hello George,
        I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
        first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
        all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
        to the average income since then.

        Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
        have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
        and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
        a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
        delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
        but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
        small mass and complexity.

        Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
        and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
        AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
        trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
        broke the couplers on grades.

        For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
        and realistic grades you should expect operations
        to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.

        Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
        Reynard
        http://www.micronart.com

        On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:

        > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
        > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
        > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
        > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
        > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
        > Thanks much, George!

      • vincentgoudreault
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2008

          (...)

          > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
          > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
          > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
          > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
          > broke the couplers on grades.

          So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
          would that be?

          CBVG
        • Jim Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2008
            The most I have successfully pulled with 2 MT f7's has been 60 cars.
          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2008
              Hello Vincent,

              They were AZL UP PA6 A-B-A (have since sold the set).
              At the time we were running on a Z Bend module setup with a
              Tehatchapi style loop at 2% grade. The PA6 couplers are body
              mounted MTL couplers. 65, refers & boxcars & caboose.
              The coupler was very easy to replace...
              so dare to test the limits ;>)

              If the train is long enough and heavy enough, you can also
              make the entire thing snap-line jump off the track in a
              spectacular fashion! Along loop backs, even at level grade, it
              is good to remember that Z scale is like herding grasshoppers;
              the wheel flange to rail edge will only hold the little beasts for a
              limited amount of pressure/tension before they altogether
              decide to take a leap into the abyss.

              Best regardZ,
              Reynard
              http://www.micronart.com

              On May 2, 2008, at 2:25 AM, vincentgoudreault wrote:

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
              > >
              > (...)
              > >
              > > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
              > > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
              > > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
              > > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
              > > broke the couplers on grades.
              > >

              > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
              > would that be?
              >
              > CBVG

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                > > > How well doe's the current Z operate?

                Not so bad indeed! <grin> Just look at the video
                below...

                http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=22OXK1rGuuQ

                When arriving on the turnout the loco slows down very
                sharply. That's normal, in my opinion it was far too
                fast so I throttled it down.....The cellular phone
                helps to have in mind it's Z scale....

                Dom

                En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
                http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                  > I've
                  > run
                  > > trains that were so long that the weight of the
                  > cars
                  > > broke the couplers on grades.
                  > >

                  > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening,
                  > how long a train
                  > would that be?
                  >
                  > CBVG

                  I guess it' the same than on the prototype: it depends
                  on slope and curve radii. And if the trains are due to
                  be longer, one solution, add helper units!