Re: [Z_Scale] Re: New to Z not to Trains

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      Jim speaks the truth. I've seen him in action at several train shows and
      folks really do learn a lot and enjoy his displays.

      Z is great fun.......and space saving.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        George:

        Not sure how long a consist you want, but with two GP35 I have 27
        additional pieces at the time rumbling down the ways. Every month as
        new stock comes out I just add it to the end. Eventually the train
        stalls or I round out of space. With 27 cars I can run almost dead
        stop [DCC] to a pretty high scale speed. This is a train considerably
        more that 4 feet long and with my layout only 4x8 I never do see the
        whole train at the same time.

        ...don

        > Hello George,
        > I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
        > first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
        > all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
        > to the average income since then.
        >
        > Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
        > have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
        > and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
        > a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
        > delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
        > but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
        > small mass and complexity.
        >
        > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
        > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
        > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
        > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
        > broke the couplers on grades.
        >
        > For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
        > and realistic grades you should expect operations
        > to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.
        >
        > Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
        > Reynard
        > http://www.micronart.com
        >
        > On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:
        >
        > > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
        > > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
        > > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
        > > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
        > > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
        > > Thanks much, George!

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          Hello George,
          I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
          first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
          all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
          to the average income since then.

          Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
          have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
          and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
          a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
          delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
          but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
          small mass and complexity.

          Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
          and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
          AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
          trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
          broke the couplers on grades.

          For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
          and realistic grades you should expect operations
          to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.

          Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
          Reynard
          http://www.micronart.com

          On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:

          > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
          > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
          > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
          > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
          > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
          > Thanks much, George!

        • vincentgoudreault
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2008

            (...)

            > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
            > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
            > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
            > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
            > broke the couplers on grades.

            So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
            would that be?

            CBVG
          • Jim Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2008
              The most I have successfully pulled with 2 MT f7's has been 60 cars.
            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                Hello Vincent,

                They were AZL UP PA6 A-B-A (have since sold the set).
                At the time we were running on a Z Bend module setup with a
                Tehatchapi style loop at 2% grade. The PA6 couplers are body
                mounted MTL couplers. 65, refers & boxcars & caboose.
                The coupler was very easy to replace...
                so dare to test the limits ;>)

                If the train is long enough and heavy enough, you can also
                make the entire thing snap-line jump off the track in a
                spectacular fashion! Along loop backs, even at level grade, it
                is good to remember that Z scale is like herding grasshoppers;
                the wheel flange to rail edge will only hold the little beasts for a
                limited amount of pressure/tension before they altogether
                decide to take a leap into the abyss.

                Best regardZ,
                Reynard
                http://www.micronart.com

                On May 2, 2008, at 2:25 AM, vincentgoudreault wrote:

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                > >
                > (...)
                > >
                > > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
                > > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
                > > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
                > > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
                > > broke the couplers on grades.
                > >

                > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
                > would that be?
                >
                > CBVG

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                  > > > How well doe's the current Z operate?

                  Not so bad indeed! <grin> Just look at the video
                  below...

                  http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=22OXK1rGuuQ

                  When arriving on the turnout the loco slows down very
                  sharply. That's normal, in my opinion it was far too
                  fast so I throttled it down.....The cellular phone
                  helps to have in mind it's Z scale....

                  Dom

                  En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
                  http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                    > I've
                    > run
                    > > trains that were so long that the weight of the
                    > cars
                    > > broke the couplers on grades.
                    > >

                    > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening,
                    > how long a train
                    > would that be?
                    >
                    > CBVG

                    I guess it' the same than on the prototype: it depends
                    on slope and curve radii. And if the trains are due to
                    be longer, one solution, add helper units!