Re: [Z_Scale] Re: New to Z not to Trains

  • Jim Glass
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      I have a Noch layout and a 3-way module (module, layout, and/or end cap) that I take to shows. I can have trains running on each and leave to eat, potty or circulate. I come back to trains still running with no problems. I mix and match MT and Marklin because the crowd does not know the difference. Occasionally a fellow hobbyist politely questions what I am showing and I mention my intention. Because our BYOZs are on tables we have plastic covers to protect from little fingers and unfortunately, theft. True to form, my layouts are unfinished as I continue to fiddle with them. A great crowd pleaser has been Tom's Easy button. Our mantra is: have fun. I could write much more, but you get the idea.

      Jim Glass
      NWPZS, Puget Sound area

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Jim speaks the truth. I've seen him in action at several train shows and
        folks really do learn a lot and enjoy his displays.

        Z is great fun.......and space saving.

        >I have a Noch layout and a 3-way module (module, layout, and/or end cap)
        >that I take to shows. I can have trains running on each and leave to eat,
        >potty or circulate. I come back to trains still running with no problems. I
        >mix and match MT and Marklin because the crowd does not know the
        >difference. Occasionally a fellow hobbyist politely questions what I am
        >showing and I mention my intention. Because our BYOZs are on tables we
        >have plastic covers to protect from little fingers and unfortunately,
        >theft. True to form, my layouts are unfinished as I continue to fiddle with
        >them. A great crowd pleaser has been Tom's Easy button. Our mantra is: have
        >fun. I could write much more, but you get the idea.
        >
        > Jim Glass
        > NWPZS, Puget Sound area

      • Don A
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          George:

          Not sure how long a consist you want, but with two GP35 I have 27
          additional pieces at the time rumbling down the ways. Every month as
          new stock comes out I just add it to the end. Eventually the train
          stalls or I round out of space. With 27 cars I can run almost dead
          stop [DCC] to a pretty high scale speed. This is a train considerably
          more that 4 feet long and with my layout only 4x8 I never do see the
          whole train at the same time.

          ...don

          > Hello George,
          > I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
          > first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
          > all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
          > to the average income since then.
          >
          > Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
          > have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
          > and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
          > a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
          > delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
          > but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
          > small mass and complexity.
          >
          > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
          > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
          > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
          > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
          > broke the couplers on grades.
          >
          > For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
          > and realistic grades you should expect operations
          > to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.
          >
          > Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
          > Reynard
          > http://www.micronart.com
          >
          > On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:
          >
          > > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
          > > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
          > > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
          > > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
          > > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
          > > Thanks much, George!

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            Hello George,
            I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
            first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
            all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
            to the average income since then.

            Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
            have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
            and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
            a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
            delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
            but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
            small mass and complexity.

            Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
            and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
            AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
            trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
            broke the couplers on grades.

            For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
            and realistic grades you should expect operations
            to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.

            Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
            Reynard
            http://www.micronart.com

            On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:

            > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
            > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
            > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
            > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
            > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
            > Thanks much, George!

          • vincentgoudreault
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2008

              (...)

              > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
              > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
              > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
              > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
              > broke the couplers on grades.

              So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
              would that be?

              CBVG
            • Jim Thomas
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                The most I have successfully pulled with 2 MT f7's has been 60 cars.
              • Reynard Wellman
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                  Hello Vincent,

                  They were AZL UP PA6 A-B-A (have since sold the set).
                  At the time we were running on a Z Bend module setup with a
                  Tehatchapi style loop at 2% grade. The PA6 couplers are body
                  mounted MTL couplers. 65, refers & boxcars & caboose.
                  The coupler was very easy to replace...
                  so dare to test the limits ;>)

                  If the train is long enough and heavy enough, you can also
                  make the entire thing snap-line jump off the track in a
                  spectacular fashion! Along loop backs, even at level grade, it
                  is good to remember that Z scale is like herding grasshoppers;
                  the wheel flange to rail edge will only hold the little beasts for a
                  limited amount of pressure/tension before they altogether
                  decide to take a leap into the abyss.

                  Best regardZ,
                  Reynard
                  http://www.micronart.com

                  On May 2, 2008, at 2:25 AM, vincentgoudreault wrote:

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > (...)
                  > >
                  > > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
                  > > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
                  > > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
                  > > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
                  > > broke the couplers on grades.
                  > >

                  > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
                  > would that be?
                  >
                  > CBVG

                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                    > > > How well doe's the current Z operate?

                    Not so bad indeed! <grin> Just look at the video
                    below...

                    http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=22OXK1rGuuQ

                    When arriving on the turnout the loco slows down very
                    sharply. That's normal, in my opinion it was far too
                    fast so I throttled it down.....The cellular phone
                    helps to have in mind it's Z scale....

                    Dom

                    En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
                    http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                      > I've
                      > run
                      > > trains that were so long that the weight of the
                      > cars
                      > > broke the couplers on grades.
                      > >

                      > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening,
                      > how long a train
                      > would that be?
                      >
                      > CBVG

                      I guess it' the same than on the prototype: it depends
                      on slope and curve radii. And if the trains are due to
                      be longer, one solution, add helper units!