New to Z not to Trains

  • embankmentlb
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z scale. 25 years ago i was an n
      scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
      How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
      Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
      Thanks much, George!
    • Don A
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "embankmentlb" <gevans@...> wrote:

        > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
        scale. 25 years ago i was an n
        > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
        > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
        > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
        > Thanks much, George!

        Rule of thumb: If it runs in HO or N it runs just as good or better in Z.

        my 2 cents.

        ...don
      • Robert Ray
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          There are 3 guys in your area George. Tim Beuhring, Jeffrey White, and
          another guy I did not yet meet. They were building Z-Bend track modules
          last year, but I don't know how that's progressing.

          I am sure one of them will chime in soon, but if you ask at:

          4Nscale.com
          Rio Grande Hobbies
          127 Big Oak Drive, #300
          Canton, GA 30115

          I would bet they know all the local Z Scalers.

          -Robert
        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:58:30 -0000
            "embankmentlb" <gevans@...> wrote:

            > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z scale. 25 years ago i was an n
            > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
            > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?

            Small steam locomotives need very clean track and the track laying is a
            bit more demanding than N but it's far from a novelty and the quality
            IMHO is excellent.

            Alan
          • Jim Glass
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              I have a Noch layout and a 3-way module (module, layout, and/or end cap) that I take to shows. I can have trains running on each and leave to eat, potty or circulate. I come back to trains still running with no problems. I mix and match MT and Marklin because the crowd does not know the difference. Occasionally a fellow hobbyist politely questions what I am showing and I mention my intention. Because our BYOZs are on tables we have plastic covers to protect from little fingers and unfortunately, theft. True to form, my layouts are unfinished as I continue to fiddle with them. A great crowd pleaser has been Tom's Easy button. Our mantra is: have fun. I could write much more, but you get the idea.

              Jim Glass
              NWPZS, Puget Sound area

              > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
              scale. 25 years ago i was an n
              > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
              > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
              > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
              > Thanks much, George!

              Rule of thumb: If it runs in HO or N it runs just as good or better in Z.

              my 2 cents.

              ...don

            • Loren
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                Jim speaks the truth. I've seen him in action at several train shows and
                folks really do learn a lot and enjoy his displays.

                Z is great fun.......and space saving.

                >I have a Noch layout and a 3-way module (module, layout, and/or end cap)
                >that I take to shows. I can have trains running on each and leave to eat,
                >potty or circulate. I come back to trains still running with no problems. I
                >mix and match MT and Marklin because the crowd does not know the
                >difference. Occasionally a fellow hobbyist politely questions what I am
                >showing and I mention my intention. Because our BYOZs are on tables we
                >have plastic covers to protect from little fingers and unfortunately,
                >theft. True to form, my layouts are unfinished as I continue to fiddle with
                >them. A great crowd pleaser has been Tom's Easy button. Our mantra is: have
                >fun. I could write much more, but you get the idea.
                >
                > Jim Glass
                > NWPZS, Puget Sound area

              • Don A
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                  George:

                  Not sure how long a consist you want, but with two GP35 I have 27
                  additional pieces at the time rumbling down the ways. Every month as
                  new stock comes out I just add it to the end. Eventually the train
                  stalls or I round out of space. With 27 cars I can run almost dead
                  stop [DCC] to a pretty high scale speed. This is a train considerably
                  more that 4 feet long and with my layout only 4x8 I never do see the
                  whole train at the same time.

                  ...don

                  > Hello George,
                  > I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
                  > first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
                  > all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
                  > to the average income since then.
                  >
                  > Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
                  > have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
                  > and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
                  > a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
                  > delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
                  > but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
                  > small mass and complexity.
                  >
                  > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
                  > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
                  > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
                  > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
                  > broke the couplers on grades.
                  >
                  > For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
                  > and realistic grades you should expect operations
                  > to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.
                  >
                  > Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
                  > Reynard
                  > http://www.micronart.com
                  >
                  > On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
                  > > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
                  > > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
                  > > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
                  > > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
                  > > Thanks much, George!

                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                    Hello George,
                    I too, was very much into N scale in 1972 when I
                    first saw Marklins' fascinating Z offerings. Relatively
                    all hobby scale train products have become more affordable
                    to the average income since then.

                    Micro-Trains Lines (MTL) and American Z Lines (AZL)
                    have done the most to help fill out the roster of trains
                    and track since the 70's. Marklin has come out with
                    a GG1 Electric that is really beautiful. None of the more
                    delicately modeled engines can pull long, long consists
                    but that should be understood and expected for objects of such
                    small mass and complexity.

                    Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
                    and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
                    AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
                    trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
                    broke the couplers on grades.

                    For operations, with careful trackwork, large radii
                    and realistic grades you should expect operations
                    to be as smooth as an N scale Kato track setup.

                    Best regardZ and welcome aboard!
                    Reynard
                    http://www.micronart.com

                    On May 1, 2008, at 4:58 AM, embankmentlb wrote:

                    > Hey, I am very intrigued by all the products now available in z
                    > scale. 25 years ago i was an n
                    > scaler fascinated by z. At that time z seemed a bit of a novelty.
                    > How well doe's the current Z operate? Is it very finicky?
                    > Also, are there any Z clubs in the Atlanta, Ga area?
                    > Thanks much, George!

                  • vincentgoudreault
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2008

                      (...)

                      > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
                      > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
                      > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
                      > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
                      > broke the couplers on grades.

                      So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
                      would that be?

                      CBVG
                    • Jim Thomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                        The most I have successfully pulled with 2 MT f7's has been 60 cars.
                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                          Hello Vincent,

                          They were AZL UP PA6 A-B-A (have since sold the set).
                          At the time we were running on a Z Bend module setup with a
                          Tehatchapi style loop at 2% grade. The PA6 couplers are body
                          mounted MTL couplers. 65, refers & boxcars & caboose.
                          The coupler was very easy to replace...
                          so dare to test the limits ;>)

                          If the train is long enough and heavy enough, you can also
                          make the entire thing snap-line jump off the track in a
                          spectacular fashion! Along loop backs, even at level grade, it
                          is good to remember that Z scale is like herding grasshoppers;
                          the wheel flange to rail edge will only hold the little beasts for a
                          limited amount of pressure/tension before they altogether
                          decide to take a leap into the abyss.

                          Best regardZ,
                          Reynard
                          http://www.micronart.com

                          On May 2, 2008, at 2:25 AM, vincentgoudreault wrote:

                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > (...)
                          > >
                          > > Amazingly, most of the diesels that have flywheels
                          > > and good weighting can pull very long trains. MTL and
                          > > AZL have done a great job with these diesels. I've run
                          > > trains that were so long that the weight of the cars
                          > > broke the couplers on grades.
                          > >

                          > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening, how long a train
                          > would that be?
                          >
                          > CBVG

                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                            > > > How well doe's the current Z operate?

                            Not so bad indeed! <grin> Just look at the video
                            below...

                            http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=22OXK1rGuuQ

                            When arriving on the turnout the loco slows down very
                            sharply. That's normal, in my opinion it was far too
                            fast so I throttled it down.....The cellular phone
                            helps to have in mind it's Z scale....

                            Dom

                            En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
                            http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                          • de Champeaux Dominique
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                              > I've
                              > run
                              > > trains that were so long that the weight of the
                              > cars
                              > > broke the couplers on grades.
                              > >

                              > So as to reduce the possibility of this happening,
                              > how long a train
                              > would that be?
                              >
                              > CBVG

                              I guess it' the same than on the prototype: it depends
                              on slope and curve radii. And if the trains are due to
                              be longer, one solution, add helper units!