Are track nails (8999) made of gold ?

  • vaclav_sal
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
      As a returning Z scale hobbyist - I bought my starter set in 1972 - I
      am having tough time finding reasonably priced track nails.
      It seems they are either out of stock or priced around $5 plus shipping
      up to $10.
      I know Z scale is on the pricey side but over 10 bucks for pack of
      nails is not reasonable.
      Anybody has a good and economical source for 8999 track nails?
      Vaclav

      PS I am not considering gluing the track at this time. Finding out that
      Marklin flex track is not very easy to put down without nails.
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
        > Anybody has a good and economical source for 8999 track nails?

        When nailing I use the peco track pins I had for N, they seem to work
        fine and at least this side of the pond are vastly cheaper. Failing that
        take a few into a good DIY or carpentry place and ask for a box of the
        same - if you are lucky you'll get a life time supply for peanuts.

        Alan
      • Ondrej Mitas
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
          How about sequin pins? That's what I use. From the craft/fabric store, super cheap, they do the job, but they need to be painted black or brown. Similar dimensions to the Marklin nails from what I can tell.

          -----------------------------
          Ondrej Mitas
          art, music, airplanes - http://ondro.net
          -----------------------------

          > Anybody has a good and economical source for 8999 track nails?

          When nailing I use the peco track pins I had for N, they seem to work
          fine and at least this side of the pond are vastly cheaper. Failing that
          take a few into a good DIY or carpentry place and ask for a box of the
          same - if you are lucky you'll get a life time supply for peanuts.

          Alan

        • Jeff BAZ-man
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2008
            Micro Engineering sells them. #30-106 for N scale. Many hobby shops
            but not direct. Work perfect, if you're not just gluing it down. (use
            white or yellow glue, Hobby Tack from Woodland Scenics or most any Tack
            glue found at craft supply stores) Use simple 'push pins' to hold in
            place until the glue dries (a few very short ours for white or yellow
            glue, seconds for CA or up to a day for Tack glues).

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z