Re: DCC Layout In Z

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 26, 2008
      Very Interesting!

      Thank you all for the replies, I've been reading and thinking for the
      last week, and I also acted.

      I've bought 2 beautiful MTL diesels, a GP 35 and a GP 9, and I'm
      having Marklin couplers installed on them. I've been advised they
      will take Digitrax Z123M0 decoders with only a bit of work.

      I've decided on a basic track plan which looks very boring and very
      Marklin, but it will work really well for software testing:

      http://users.rcn.com/mrex/nakedmarklin/images/Dueling-in-Z2.jpg

      I think I'm going to go with the circuit track and use grounding by
      mechanical action.

      Marklin circuit track seems to be a miniaturized version of their
      classic M switch track, which is prone to failure from dirt and stress
      over time. But for the short term, the work involved is far less than
      current detection with all the additional power wiring.

      Unless I've missed something?

      As far as I know, if I use current detection, I will have to isolate
      all sensor tracks and feed rail power into the feedback decoder. I'll
      also have to feed rail power into all the sections between the sensor
      tracks. And I'll have to use resistor wheelsets for all cars, if I
      want the computer to "see" them.

      For IR, I'll have to buy or build sensors, and then install and wire
      them, as well as hooking up a traditional gound detection network. I
      won't have to modify any rolling stock. But power draw will go up.

      As for reed switches, I'm done with them. I ran an HO layout using a
      combination of Marklin M Track contact track, switch track and reed
      switches. Of all three sensor types, the reed switches were the most
      unreliable, and modifying my locs and cars with magnets was a real pain.

      Shaving down the toggles in the M circuit track isn't a problem, its
      just work. Since the layout isn't going to be a Museum Piece, I can
      always remove, service and replace the circuit sections. And while
      the idea of tapping screw holes and threading screws in the bottom of
      the cars is probably sacraligious to most readers here, I think it
      will work.

      Okay, enough for now. I'm also going through the research process on
      Decoders, again the Digitrax is supposed to be an "almost" drop-in
      decoder. I like ESU, and I am looking at their LokPilot micro (52686).

      I'll post again when I've decided upon decoders, and thanks again for
      all your replies, let me know what you think.

      -- Mark The Newb
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2008
        > As far as I know, if I use current detection, I will have to isolate
        > all sensor tracks and feed rail power into the feedback decoder. I'll
        > also have to feed rail power into all the sections between the sensor
        > tracks. And I'll have to use resistor wheelsets for all cars, if I
        > want the computer to "see" them.

        Well the circuit track won't "see" anything but the loco anyway.

        Current detection depends if you need to know where the loco is or
        whether a section is occupied. You can wire small "detector" sections but
        you can also just wire power to long sections of track equivalent to the
        real sections of a railway.

        Alan
      • Don A
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2008
          Something you might consider even though you are "done with switches"
          is to add two more between the parallel track areas. Two lefts or two
          rights. This way you can run the train in EITHER direction and change
          the direction "on the fly". This is really nice if you are running DCC.

          ...don