RE: [Z_Scale] New member

  • Melissa Cull
    Message 1 of 88 , Apr 3, 2008
      Hi Allan,

      Welcome to Z scale. By the way Z scalers aren't all blokes, female Z scalers
      are quite abundant and I'm one of them:-)

      Not many UK shops stock much Z scale apart from Gaugemaster, The Hobby Shop
      (cheapest), M.G. Sharp Models and Hamleys plus the odd one in Wales, Oxford
      and Scotland.

      Kind RegardZ

      Fellow UK Z Scaler

      Melissa Cull
      UK (Midlands)

      Hi all, greetings from Norfolk in the UK.

      I’m completely new to Z scale. I come from the ranks of 5” ground level
      coal fired live steam but as I got older, the locos got too heavy for me to
      handle. I went to Gauge 1 as I had collected Marklin 1 for around 25 years
      and I am currently building a layout for it in the garden. I have the
      Märklin live steam radio controlled locos as well as some DCC stuff.

      However, in the winter, I decided to just have a look, (as you do,) at Z
      scale just for fun (yeah, right) and the next thing I knew, I’d bought a
      loco and wagons off Ebay! The price was right and I couldn’t resist them.
      Of course, I was hooked. I looked too at the Z Scale group on Yahoo and
      followed a few links and was amazed at how much stuff there was available
      for Z. Since that first ‘nibble’, I have bought lots of Z things off Ebay
      and had a whale of a time. Now all I have to do is to start building
      something….. and that’s when I realised that I knew very little about Z
      scale. To listen to you blokes talking, I’m lost immediately. A lot of that
      is because you talk of American locos and stock of course and that’s
      understandable, but the technicalities are far more complicated and advanced
      than I thought they would be.

      I don't even know where to get spares and things from as we haven’t anybody
      near where I live that stocks Z scale. Being new, I need to see things
      rather than have them described. It’ll come though. Right now, I’m looking
      for metal wheel sets for some wagons I have that had no wheels.

      So, I’ll listen on the side for a while until I get used to the scale, if
      that’s ok with you. I’ve bought a large magnifying glass too, <g>. If I
      can’t learn off you lot, I don't know where I will.

      Best wishes,
      Allan
      (Allan Wright, Norfolk, UK)

    • Jeff Newburg
      Message 88 of 88 , Jun 12, 2012
        Greg, thanks very much for bringing this to my attention. This is my first experience with a Yahoo Group, and somehow I overlooked the distinction in responding; I think I've got it now.

        To the Group, I'm grateful for the large number of welcome messages I've received, and some very helpful tips and advice which I'll certainly take to heart.

        Regards,
        Jeff