New guy - getting a Pro-Z on Friday

  • m82a1pa
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      Glad I found this group.

      I'm getting a Tokyo Marui Pro-Z set by UPS on Friday. I do hope
      AirSoft will carry the modules that expand the base layout. And also
      that the Japanese company will bring out a steam loco set.

      Now if it only had sound.

      Mort
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
        Mort

        I just received my Pro-Z set today. As they said its easy to set up
        and its running around in my living room as I write this. I love it
        and I'm sure you will too. I can't wait till the extra modules become
        available. This will make a great addition to the Midwezt Haulerz
        display at shows.

        Ellen
        Indianapolis

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "m82a1pa" <ml.denison@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > Glad I found this group.
        >
        > I'm getting a Tokyo Marui Pro-Z set by UPS on Friday. I do hope
        > AirSoft will carry the modules that expand the base layout. And also
        > that the Japanese company will bring out a steam loco set.
        >
        > Now if it only had sound.
        >
        > Mort

      • Zane H. Healy
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
          Are these electrically compatible with the Marklin/MTL? In other works can
          you run Marklin or MTL engines on these layouts?

          Zane

          > Mort
          >
          > I just received my Pro-Z set today. As they said its easy to set up
          > and its running around in my living room as I write this. I love it
          > and I'm sure you will too. I can't wait till the extra modules become
          > available. This will make a great addition to the Midwezt Haulerz
          > display at shows.
          >
          > Ellen
          > Indianapolis
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "m82a1pa" <ml.denison@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Folks,
          > >
          > > Glad I found this group.
          > >
          > > I'm getting a Tokyo Marui Pro-Z set by UPS on Friday. I do hope
          > > AirSoft will carry the modules that expand the base layout. And also
          > > that the Japanese company will bring out a steam loco set.
          > >
          > > Now if it only had sound.
          > >
          > > Mort

        • Cliff Travis
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
            --- Hi,
            Don't run DC(marklin,mtl,azl etc) with ProZ power as they will
            overheat, possibly to the point of burning out. ProZ engines are OK
            with DC power up to 9 volts. Lights will work as long as there is
            power. I run mine on the ProZ layout as well as on my modules and
            they run perfectly in both cases If you are in the Northeast we can
            demonstate.
            Cliff

            In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

            > Are these electrically compatible with the Marklin/MTL? In other
            works can
            > you run Marklin or MTL engines on these layouts?
            >
            > Zane
            >

            > > Mort
            > >
            > > I just received my Pro-Z set today. As they said its easy to set
            up
            > > and its running around in my living room as I write this. I love
            it
            > > and I'm sure you will too. I can't wait till the extra modules
            become
            > > available. This will make a great addition to the Midwezt
            Haulerz
            > > display at shows.
            > >
            > > Ellen
            > > Indianapolis
            > >
            > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "m82a1pa" <ml.denison@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Folks,
            > > >
            > > > Glad I found this group.
            > > >
            > > > I'm getting a Tokyo Marui Pro-Z set by UPS on Friday. I do
            hope
            > > > AirSoft will carry the modules that expand the base layout.
            And also
            > > > that the Japanese company will bring out a steam loco set.
            > > >
            > > > Now if it only had sound.
            > > >
            > > > Mort

          • Zane H. Healy
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
              At 1:53 PM +0000 4/4/08, Cliff Travis wrote:
              >--- Hi,
              >Don't run DC(marklin,mtl,azl etc) with ProZ power as they will
              >overheat, possibly to the point of burning out. ProZ engines are OK
              >with DC power up to 9 volts. Lights will work as long as there is
              >power. I run mine on the ProZ layout as well as on my modules and
              >they run perfectly in both cases If you are in the Northeast we can
              >demonstate.
              >Cliff

              Well, if you can't run the other engines on the ProZ layout, that
              makes it far less interesting to me.

              Zane

              | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
            • m82a1pa
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                Thanks for the reply, Ellen. Unfortunately, UPS showed up when no one
                was home so I'll have to go pick it up on Monday. Ah well, I can spend
                the weekend doing taxes. Or search the internet looking for a suitable
                glass top table...
              • viktor_kovacs
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I would like to buy a proz yamanote trainset, but
                  first, I would like to know what voltage and how
                  much current is needed for the train to run. I
                  have a home made block control system and it's
                  currently running on 6 volts pwm. Also, I would
                  like to know how the constant lighting system
                  is working with the proz power supply. If anyone
                  has info on these, please share it with us.

                  Viktor

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                    Viktor,

                    Hop over and join the Japanese Z scale Yahoo group:

                    There's a number of posts about how the Pro-Z Tokyo Marui stuff works.
                    I read it over, but it didn't stick. The methodology on how the lights
                    stay on while the train is stopped is pretty neat. I only wish that
                    the company made a steam set or some other sompanies start using the
                    same technology. Now I'm waiting on an integrated sound system which
                    would be triggered by sensors on the train - factory noise when passing
                    a factory, crowd noise at a terminal building, etc.

                    Mort
                  • David Epling
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                      Greetings all,

                      Just a reminder that we will be setting up and making any repairs and
                      cleaning of the 1986 MR Magazine WP in Z Scale layout tomorrow (Apr 5) at
                      the Western Pacific Railroad Museum. Sunday Apr 6 will be it's official
                      Debut.

                      David Epling
                      WPRM Model RR Department Chair
                      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=229250/grpspId=1706533816/msgId=
                      56171/stime=1207340067/nc1=3848621/nc2=4507179/nc3=5170412>

                    • Uwe Liermann
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Hello m82a1pa,

                        > Or search the internet looking for a suitable glass top table...

                        did you check IKEA?

                        there's:

                        STRIND (one rectangular, one round (coffee and side table))
                        RAMVIK (two colors)
                        IVÅS (two sizes (coffee and side table))
                        GRANÅS (two sizes (coffee and dinning table))

                        --
                        GreetingZ
                        Uwe
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Hi,

                          > Hop over and join the Japanese Z scale Yahoo group:
                          > There's a number of posts about how the Pro-Z Tokyo Marui stuff works.
                          > I read it over, but it didn't stick. The methodology on how the lights
                          > stay on while the train is stopped is pretty neat. I only wish that
                          > the company made a steam set or some other sompanies start using the
                          > same technology. Now I'm waiting on an integrated sound system which
                          > would be triggered by sensors on the train - factory noise when passing
                          > a factory, crowd noise at a terminal building, etc.

                          Thanks for the link! I've checked out the discussion there
                          and unfortunately they are using ac for constant lighting.
                          When the dc voltage is lower than the cl voltage it's a
                          killer for most of my egnines. Above that voltage, it
                          acts like high frequency pwm with a dc component, but
                          it would still be bad for some of my vintage (30 years old)
                          engines. This is why I'm stuck with using low frequency
                          smoothed pwm, that's the only thing the old ones like,
                          (besides plain dc and the half wave sinus coming out of
                          old half bridge based controllers). As you have probably
                          guessed, I have digital block decoders under the track
                          so old engines can run without modifications.

                          Judging from the descriptions, standard ac track cleaner
                          circuits could burn out the cl leds, so people using them
                          should be careful.

                          ps: About train sounds... Ever tried using ir train sensors
                          and a computer and selectively routing the output to speakers
                          below the layout? (for audio routing, there are analog
                          transmission gate chips or you can use a soundcard with
                          more than one output) For a computerless version, you
                          can use the marklin train sensor track and a cheap audio
                          greeting card circuit that once even marklin packed along
                          with one of its gift boxes. The rule is that connecting the
                          two ends of the switch wires causes the recording to be
                          played back. It's not on the train, but right under it.
                        • m82a1pa
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                            Viktor, you're way ahead of me! I'm working with about two weeks of
                            knowledge on this stuff. The sound suggestions are pretty much what I
                            had in mind. If you ever happen to see a commercial setup, I'd be
                            really interested for sure.
                          • Dave Hjortnaes
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 4, 2008
                              Dear David:

                              Cannot get anything from this website. Any other way to check out
                              the layout.
                              Thank you.

                              dave h.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 5, 2008
                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "m82a1pa" <ml.denison@...> wrote:
                                > Viktor, you're way ahead of me! I'm working with about two weeks of
                                > knowledge on this stuff. The sound suggestions are pretty much what I
                                > had in mind. If you ever happen to see a commercial setup, I'd be
                                > really interested for sure.

                                Just take a look at the walthers catalog (www.walthers.com).
                                They have all kinds of ready made trackside sound equipment.
                                You should usually use the equipment designed for N scale.
                                If you want to trigger the sound automatically, then you
                                have to add a train operated relay parallel with the manual
                                switch. For operating the relay, you can use any kind of
                                commercial train sensor or occupancy detector.

                                Personally, I like to make my own circuits, but only because
                                I like electronics as much as I like model railroading.

                                Viktor

                                ps:
                                For those people who want to mod their proz controllers,
                                it should be realtively simple to add a manual toggle
                                switch between the ac generator and the dc output lines,
                                so the constant lighting could be fully disabled when an
                                engine doesn't like it. (but i'm sure it will void the
                                warranty)
                              • Garth Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 5, 2008
                                  At 10:39 AM 4/5/2008, "Zane H. Healy" healyzh@... wrote:

                                  >At 1:53 PM +0000 4/4/08, Cliff Travis wrote:
                                  > >--- Hi,
                                  > >Don't run DC(marklin,mtl,azl etc) with ProZ power as they will
                                  > >overheat, possibly to the point of burning out. ProZ engines are OK
                                  > >with DC power up to 9 volts. Lights will work as long as there is
                                  > >power. I run mine on the ProZ layout as well as on my modules and
                                  > >they run perfectly in both cases If you are in the Northeast we can
                                  > >demonstate.
                                  > >Cliff
                                  >
                                  >Well, if you can't run the other engines on the ProZ layout, that
                                  >makes it far less interesting to me.
                                  >
                                  >Zane

                                  Zane

                                  If you use a different power supply you can run almost any of Z stuff
                                  on the Pro-Z layout. Some cars that will be a problem are the 60 to
                                  80 foot types as the curves are fairly tight compared to Micro Trains
                                  track and there is a cross over with reverse curves in the tunnel on
                                  the layout. So the layout is a folded figure 8.

                                  The Pro-Z power pack units output is 12VDC with the CL (Constant
                                  Lighting) circuit built in and with a variable control which seems to
                                  adjust the frequency of the 12VAC output which is feed in parallel
                                  with the DC power to the rails. Older 3 pole open frame motors seem
                                  to be okay on this type of power but I am not sure if they get hot as
                                  I have not run mine for any length of time on Pro-Z power. The
                                  aMarklin motors will certainly burn out if run at 12vdc. The motor in
                                  the Pro-Z electric engine and EMU train set is a 3 pole open frame
                                  type for 12VDC and it does not appear to heat up beyond warm to my
                                  touch. This motor is the same or similar to those used by Tomix in
                                  their N-scale equipment and they also use CL power in some of their
                                  power packs. Micro Trains F units seem to be okay on this power but I
                                  am not sure if they would be after running for several hours on this
                                  power. Heat would seem to be the biggest problem. The MTL GP's do not
                                  like this power and they actually sound like they are screaming at
                                  low power settings. I do not have any AZL engines other than the FP59
                                  and it did not seem to mind the CL circuit power but again I am not
                                  sure that it would not overheat over several hours of operation on
                                  Pro-Z power.

                                  If the CL power is turned up too high all the engines will start to
                                  run. So the idea is to turn the control up until the cars light and
                                  the train does not move.

                                  The CL power is 12VAC and this is could be the killer for most
                                  Z-scale engines I think over the long term. A short would spell
                                  disaster and melt wheels etc if not caught immediately. I have seen
                                  this happen in N-scale so I tend to think the answer for mixed Pro-Z
                                  and other Z-scale equipment is to use a Z-scale power pack and then
                                  everything is happy. The only difference is that the lights in the
                                  Pro-Z cars do not stay on with the train stopped and no power in the
                                  track. To this end I run all my Japanese Z-scale using a power pack
                                  from Akia RealZJ which has 10vdc max output and indicator lights for
                                  3, 6, and 9 volts to the track. It has short circuit protection and
                                  they also have a track system that is essentially the same a Micro
                                  Trains. (They do not have switches yet) The main difference is that
                                  the tie spacing on the road bed is farther apart than on the Micro
                                  Trains. They also use a nicer method of connecting the power to the
                                  track. The track from the two systems can be connected to one
                                  another. It is a tight fit at first as the foot of the rail on the
                                  RealZJ track is heavier and so the rail joiners have a hard time
                                  opening up the first time you join them. This is however no different
                                  from connecting two pieces of RealZJ track to-gether the first time.
                                  The Pro-Z trains run fine on less than 5 vdc including the LED
                                  lighting and at 10vdc they will rocket off the track on curves.

                                  http://www.nn3.ca/main/main-japanese-zj-gauge-p5.htm I have a fair
                                  bit on information on Pro-Z on the bottom half of this page and there
                                  are six pages of information on Japanese Z scale on my web site.

                                  As Mort said there is a group on Yahoo which specializes in Japanese
                                  Z if you want more information. Most of over there are on this list as well.

                                  I will have my Japanese stuff with me at the National Trains Show in
                                  Anaheim and the Train Show in Louisville in June. I will be working
                                  on Mr Dave's Golden Blackhawk and Central City Layout. Will also have
                                  my Hallmark Christmas Ornament train running on Z-scale track.

                                  cheers
                                  Garth
                                • m82a1pa
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 6, 2008
                                    I didn't find anything that might work there, but these look promising:
                                    http://ittproducts.com/hqpage_2008.htm

                                    Pretty much self contained and they sell 2" speakers that would work
                                    nicely. The IR switch they sell is way too big, though. I'd have to
                                    manually trigger them until I can locate a ting above board IR switch.
                                  • David K. Smith
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 6, 2008
                                      Not too sure about those ITT products. I played a few sample sounds,
                                      and some of them had pops and scratches from the vinyl LPs they were
                                      copied from! I don't think I'd want my layout sounding like some beat
                                      up old record, and at $35 per unit, you really have to wonder...

                                      --David

                                      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                      http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 7, 2008
                                        Eventually there will be a webpage on the wplives.org website with pictures
                                        and a story about it. I just got home at 130 this morning having spent the
                                        weekend at the museum prepping and setting the layout up. I'll have more on
                                        that after I wade through the 900 e-mails that came in this weekend for me
                                        hehehe

                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "David

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 19, 2008
                                          Sorry for the tardy reply. My wife prefers something not quite so
                                          modern, if she'll agree to one at all :>)

                                          I'm talking with a person to have a cut-down glasstop coffee table done
                                          here:

                                          http://www.home-museum.com/Products/4.1-Furn/Prod-Furn-Custom-Coffee.htm
                                        • Uwe Liermann
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 19, 2008
                                            Hello m82a1pa,

                                            > Sorry for the tardy reply.

                                            no problem... ;-)

                                            > My wife prefers something not quite so modern, if she'll agree to
                                            > one at all :>)

                                            > I'm talking with a person to have a cut-down glasstop coffee table done
                                            > here:

                                            > http://www.home-museum.com/Products/4.1-Furn/Prod-Furn-Custom-Coffee.htm

                                            well.... my wife can life with the more modern look of those IKEA
                                            tables, but she would never life with the prices for those great
                                            tables you showed us here.

                                            Why is it that wives always have something to complain about...

                                            Sorry ladys, but I couldn't resist this remark...

                                            ...you may call me names now...

                                            ...my wife does this too... ;-)))

                                            <runnigforcover>

                                            --
                                            GreetingZ
                                            Uwe
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 19, 2008
                                              Just do like I did, My wife loves cats...big time loves cats...so I turned
                                              her on to the Chessie Kitty.

                                              So this is what happened a while back...We go into Railroad Hobbies in
                                              Roseville CA because at the time I was modeling in HO Scale Modular, and I
                                              wanted to pick up a details west Hotbox Detector.

                                              They were out of stock, but Vicki finds a few Chessie boxcars....we walk out
                                              of the Hobby shop, bag full of Chessie stuff and squat for me.

                                              It could be worse ; )

                                              David

                                              > My wife prefers something not quite so modern, if she'll agree to
                                              > one at all :>)

                                              > I'm talking with a person to have a cut-down glasstop coffee table done
                                              > here:

                                              > http://www.home-museum.com/Products/4.1-Furn/Prod-Furn-Custom-Coffee.htm

                                              well.... my wife can life with the more modern look of those IKEA
                                              tables, but she would never life with the prices for those great
                                              tables you showed us here.

                                              Why is it that wives always have something to complain about...

                                              Sorry ladys, but I couldn't resist this remark...

                                              ...you may call me names now...

                                              ...my wife does this too... ;-)))

                                              <runnigforcover>

                                              --
                                              GreetingZ
                                              Uwe

                                            • Karin E. Snyder
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 19, 2008
                                                Hi Uwe,

                                                Don't make me go all the way to Germany to help your wife give you an
                                                attitude adjustment! We "ladies" like to help each other when it comes to
                                                setting our husbands straight.
                                                ;o}
                                                Lucky for Loren I'm the one wanting the coffee table for a layout. In our
                                                case the husband AND the wife have to fight for who gets to buy Z this month
                                                (me!), or who gets to spend the most time on their Z layout (me!), and who
                                                has to do all the track laying and wiring (him!). Oh yes, the fighting
                                                around here is quite fun actually. Maybe I can explain to your wife, from a
                                                lady's point of view, how wonderful it is to play with Z along side of her
                                                husband. But then she might want you to help with her hobby too (I hope its
                                                not knitting!).

                                                I hope to go overseas in the coming year and I would love to meet you and
                                                talk your wife into seeing things your way. I've always wanted to add
                                                Germany to my places to visit.

                                                Now, Uwe, be nice to us ladies, OK?

                                                Karin

                                              • Melissa Cull
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
                                                  Hi Uwe,

                                                  I thought your wife was well into Z scale as she was doing some of the
                                                  building kits along with your son on your family layout?

                                                  Do they still do the IKEA coffee table with the huge sliding drawer, I've
                                                  being trying to get one but can't see one in the UK catalogue?

                                                  As for ladies, at least most of the men have wives, even if they aren't all
                                                  into trains like Karin etc. - try finding a husband in the UK when it's the
                                                  lady that likes trains - almost impossible!!! I only know of less than a
                                                  dozen married lady model makers into trains in the UK.....

                                                  Ladies complain because men make a mess and don't tidy up after themselves,
                                                  ladies multitask and clean up as they go along.

                                                  In the UK ladies don't mind so much if men have an indoor hobby like model
                                                  trains as they can make sure they don't 'stray' though the cost over here
                                                  might put some off when house needs maintaining etc, even though most
                                                  hobbies aren't cheap nowadays.

                                                  I think Karin has a great idea to come and sort you out on her Europe
                                                  tour:-)

                                                  Kind regardZ

                                                  Melissa
                                                  UK

                                                  Hello m82a1pa,

                                                  > Sorry for the tardy reply.

                                                  no problem... ;-)

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
                                                    Hello Karin, and Hello Melissa,

                                                    well, I think I had those ones coming, and I admit I also provoked
                                                    it...

                                                    ...seems I didn't use enough smilies in my posting.

                                                    Actually Melissa is right in remembering my saying, that my wife Karin
                                                    was the one who started us into model railroading. I was merely the
                                                    one who researched about the scales that were possible for us,
                                                    regarding our situation of room, which lead us to Z scale. And wasn't
                                                    we lucky to find a community like this one to share the experiences to
                                                    make. Only downside here is, that since she has to work at a computer
                                                    all day long at work, she don't want to sit at one at home too. Also
                                                    the experience to share this with our son, which make a surplus bond
                                                    in the family.

                                                    So this in a way is a way to helpher with her hobby, since I never had
                                                    a modelrailroad before. Except you count the 4.5V LEGO trains from the
                                                    late sixties or early seventies for this. I mean those with the blue
                                                    rails that had to be made to tracks with the white 2x8 (or was it
                                                    2x10) knob bricks as sleepers/ties. And no turn outs/switches back
                                                    then too.

                                                    The thing that is behind the "complain" in my posting is that we
                                                    refrained from doing a coffee table layout, was that at the time to
                                                    decide it we couldn't find a suitable coffee table that matched our
                                                    style for furniture at a reasonable price. And we even thought about
                                                    doing our own table, or converting our existing table to the task, but
                                                    some features of our table didn't work out to well for that. Might be
                                                    we will reconsider this at some later point.

                                                    About the current tables from IKEA I only found those I mentioned in
                                                    my posting earlier, and I don't remember which one you saw with the
                                                    drawer back then. I found those on the different parts of the IKEA
                                                    websites. There are some that are not shown on all national versions
                                                    of the website. But via the search option you can find on your website
                                                    the available tables while searching for the names. Another problem is
                                                    that the catalogue don't show everything IKEA has. One has to look for
                                                    item in all three places: catalogue, website and shop.

                                                    And yes, we also have our fun and little fights about who has or want
                                                    to do what in our hobby. But mostly we have to caught up with our
                                                    son's wishes what to do next, and at which progress rate...
                                                    ...this hobby costs money son... ;-)
                                                    So we all also learn about patience through the hobby.

                                                    Right now, my wife and my son are painting some of those small cars
                                                    and boats and the steamer they got from Z Club GB in Geseke. I showed
                                                    the picture of the 2CV on ZCS, and I will post them here too, as soon
                                                    as I have made more pictures of those things.

                                                    > Now, Uwe, be nice to us ladies, OK?

                                                    I promise... ;-)
                                                    ...not only because I would get a real attitude adjustment from my
                                                    Karin anyway if I don't behave good enough... ;-)

                                                    And it sure would be great to meet at some time and some place.
                                                    This year we three all went to Geseke, ad we are planning to do so
                                                    next time the Geseke show is on again. So God will, maybe with
                                                    something of our own creation to show.

                                                    --
                                                    GreetingZ
                                                    Uwe
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
                                                      Dear Uwe,

                                                      You have a wonderful wife... Karins unite!!!!

                                                      My regards to the other Karin.
                                                      ;o}