RE: An Old Friend is Back

  • fredshark@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      Zane asks: How hard to find are these [MTL F7A Black Widows], and what year did they come out?

      Zane,

      According to the Unofficial Micro-Trains Release Report (http://www.irwinsjournal.com/umtrr/) MTL released their SP Black Widow F7A in February 1997. The last time I remember seeing one in a store was mid 2004.

      I don't know how hard it is to find this particular locomotive, but I have had success in obtaining hard-to-find F7A shells from Marshall Thomson at Republic Locomotive Works (http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/). The Nn3 modelers use MTL's Z-scale F7A chassis for many of their locomotives. RLW sells the chassis and F7A shells separately to service their Nn3 customers. Marshall may have a SP Black Widow shell in his inventory.

      Cheers,

      Jeff Walsh
    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        I recall that one was a dummy A, I don`t think that one was out for very long, though. The first one was out for quite a while as i recall. Your best bet to get one is most likely to try to pick up one of those desk top sets, which seem to sit around on store shelves collectibng dust while the individual locos get sold. I will get the ones out of the case and hope that I can figure out the release dates for you.

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: healyzh@...: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:56:01 -0700Subject: RE: [Z_Scale] An Old Friend is Back

        At 10:46 PM -0400 4/1/08, fredshark@... wrote:>Elizabeth wrote: there was a black widow SP MT F7 ...>>Elizabeth, you are absolutely correct. You can see a picture of the >MTL SP Black Widow F7A on Anthony's Z Scale Monster web site.>>http://www.zscalemonster.com/mt/f7/14004-2.jpgNice! How hard to find are these, and what year did they come out? I don't believe I've seen one on eBay, but then I don't search for SP/UP stuff that regularly.Zane-- | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator || healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast || MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |+----------------------------------+----------------------------+| Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, || PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum. || http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |