Combining N and Z-gauge on the same layout

  • dipugee
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2008
      I am trying to model in both N and Z-gauges with Alpine settings as my theme. I am thinking
      of combing both gauges on the same layout, with z-gauge mimicking real-life meter gauge.
      Has anyone tried this? If so, what are some of the issues? Are there European meter-gauge
      models available in Z at reasonable prices, or can one run the usual and Maerklin Z-gauge
      models alongside the N-gauge Roco's & Minitrix'?

      Thanks in advance.

      Dipu'
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2008
        Dipu',

        Are you familiar with FR of Germany? FR offers a line of Swiss standard gauge
        and meter gauge Z scale cars and locomotives. It is possible to do what you
        are wishing in Z scale exclusively! Photos of his products can be found at:

        http://www.fr-model.de/index.php?lang=en&what=products

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        Distributor American Z Line

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2008
          > of combing both gauges on the same layout, with z-gauge mimicking real-life meter gauge.
          > Has anyone tried this? If so, what are some of the issues? Are there European meter-gauge

          Yes - Nn3/Nm scale. There is some stock available for it and models both
          of European meter gauge and also of small steam locos. You can also get
          Nn3 scale trackwork with wider sleepers but it is pricy.
        • Michael Piersdorff
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2008
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dipugee" <dipugee@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to model in both N and Z-gauges with Alpine settings as
            my theme. I am thinking
            > of combing both gauges on the same layout, with z-gauge mimicking
            real-life meter gauge.

            You might also think about using the N Gauge in the foreground and Z
            Gauge in the back to force perspective on the layout. Appropraite
            scaling would have to be used throughout on scenery, structures, etc.,
            but it could give the final layout much greater apparent depth. See
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_perspective for some ideas how
            forced perspective works, or just Google "forced perspective" for
            more "in depth" ideas (sorry about the pun).

            Good luck in 3D.

            Michael
          • thomasc600
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30, 2008
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Piersdorff" <countylovers@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dipugee" <dipugee@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am trying to model in both N and Z-gauges with Alpine settings as
              > my theme. I am thinking
              > > of combing both gauges on the same layout, with z-gauge mimicking
              > real-life meter gauge Ive had great luck combineing Zand N scale
              togther by layering like cake.On N scale we run Shay with wooden cars
              Next 2 layers up are both Z scale. We due have photo,s
            • Larry Card
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30, 2008
                Another Nn3'er, so I'm not alone ;-)
                V/R
                Larry P. Card
                Franklinton NC

                > > > I am trying to model in both N and Z-gauges with Alpine settings as
                > > my theme. I am thinking
                > > > of combing both gauges on the same layout, with z-gauge mimicking
                > > real-life meter gauge Ive had great luck combineing Zand N scale
                > togther by layering like cake.On N scale we run Shay with wooden cars
                > Next 2 layers up are both Z scale. We due have photo,s

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2008
                  For this purpose, you should look towards Nm
                  equipment, that uses 6.5mm gauge track, but with a
                  prototype shape and ratio between track gauge and
                  rolling stock size (width, length, height).

                  Dom

                  --- dipugee <dipugee@...> a écrit :

                  > I am trying to model in both N and Z-gauges with
                  > Alpine settings as my theme. I am thinking
                  > of combing both gauges on the same layout, with
                  > z-gauge mimicking real-life meter gauge.
                  > Has anyone tried this? If so, what are some of the
                  > issues? Are there European meter-gauge
                  > models available in Z at reasonable prices, or can
                  > one run the usual and Maerklin Z-gauge
                  > models alongside the N-gauge Roco's & Minitrix'?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  >
                  > Dipu'

                  Envoyez avec Yahoo! Mail. Plus de moyens pour rester en contact. http://mail.yahoo.fr
                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2008
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                    wrote:

                    > For this purpose, you should look towards Nm
                    > equipment, that uses 6.5mm gauge track, but with a
                    > prototype shape and ratio between track gauge and
                    > rolling stock size (width, length, height).
                    >
                    > Dom

                    Oh No, not Nm gauge again, I thought the spell had been broken
                    for Me! ;)
                    I Hadn't deen the FR website for over a year since my old laptop
                    had died and I lost the weblink! :*(
                    Do you know how much I'd have to sweet talk and romance my wife
                    to bring ANOTHER tiny train scale into the house! :O
                  • Larry Card
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2008
                      > Do you know how much I'd have to sweet talk and romance my wife
                      > to bring ANOTHER tiny train scale into the house! :O

                      But it's NOT a different scale.
                      .
                      .
                      (it's a different gauge)
                      .
                      .
                      Yeah, my wife didn't see it that way either.
                      V/R
                      Larry P. Card
                      Franklinton NC

                    • Larry Card
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Along with all the other advice, let me add the following link:
                        http://www.nn3.org
                        This has links to many other Nn3 resources, including some British links that may be helpful to you.
                        Finally there is a Yahoo group for Nn3 that you may be interested in.
                        The Z scale equipment would not look right alongside N scale because of the obvious differences in cab doors, etc. Rolling stock might be OK, but locomotives and brake vans would have to be built special, along with passenger equipment.
                        V/R
                        Larry P. Card
                        Franklinton NC