MTL SD40-2

  • Zane H. Healy
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
      I thought the following picture might be interesting to people, as
      this appears to be the engine the first MTL SD40-2 is modeled after.
      http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=994298

      Any idea how hard it will be to strip and/or repaint a black engine?

      Zane

      | http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |
    • John Mui
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
        Zane, its very easy. I just soak the shell in 91% alcohol over night, and
        clean it with a toothbrush. I wouln't paint over the old paint. The old
        lettering can be seen even after you repaint it.

        John
        >I thought the following picture might be interesting to people, as
        > this appears to be the engine the first MTL SD40-2 is modeled after.
        > http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=994298
        >
        > Any idea how hard it will be to strip and/or repaint a black engine?
        >
        > Zane
        >

        > --
        > | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Administrator |
        > | healyzh@... (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
        > | MONK::HEALYZH (DECnet) | Classic Computer Collector |

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
          Hi all! I should need your advise here!

          I'm currently working on a small layout (60" x 40"),
          on which the track will be surelevated by
          approximatively one inch above the benchwork.

          On this portion of the layout I'll have to install 4
          turnouts, powered with Tortoise switch machines.

          My problem: I don't want to drill a hole matching the
          Tortoises in the benchwork in order to have them just
          under the subroadbed, as I consider easier to fit the
          Tortoises under the benchwork.

          But choosing this option, my problem is that the steel
          rod delivered with each Tortoise is too short:

          My question today is: what stuff do you recommend in
          order to have a longer rod accomodating the height
          difference between the subroadbed and the benchwork,
          provided this replacement stuff should have the same
          strenght and bending ability than the original steel
          rod?

          Dom

          Envoyez avec Yahoo! Mail. Plus de moyens pour rester en contact. http://mail.yahoo.fr
        • JOE SWOGGER
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008

            > > Any idea how hard it will be to strip and/or
            > repaint a black engine?
            > >
            > > Zane

            I would venture to say half of the GP-35's produced
            in the black Pennsy livery now wear a different
            scheme! Mine DT&I. The SD 40 will become a DT&I
            SD-38,with some minor surgery. Joe
            Swogger

          • harold grady
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
              Yeah Joe, I am counting the days till this beauty is released. So many kitbash
              options. SD-38, SD45-2 , GP-40, GP-60. I plan to do them all eventually.
              Let's see now, about 62 days left right?

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
                Joe, I like to repaint and kitbash my GP35s. In fact, almost all of them are
                either detail or kitbash into something else. I have seven GP35 chassis, but
                only one of them remain a 35. The rest are GP39, GP40, GP38, and road slugs.

                John
                >> > Any idea how hard it will be to strip and/or
                >> repaint a black engine?
                >> >
                >> > Zane
                >
                > I would venture to say half of the GP-35's produced
                > in the black Pennsy livery now wear a different
                > scheme! Mine DT&I. The SD 40 will become a DT&I
                > SD-38,with some minor surgery. Joe
                > Swogger

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Mine will become a leasing company's unit (probably),
                  or a Ferromex unit (less probably, as it's a
                  paintscheme difficult to be realized), as some of
                  these sometimes venture in the US and as I
                  definitively love this paintscheme.....

                  Dom