Re: [Z_Scale] Under The Table Turnouts

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
      Hello Dipu' Personal (?),

      > under-the-table switch machines.

      I didn't use those from Atlas or Peco, but a cheap one from Conrad
      (German Radio Shack?) for a test of this some time ago.

      Basically it is easier to convert the MTL turn outs then the Maerklin
      ones. Less work on delicate parts to do. Besides drilling a hole into
      the small tab at the side of the turn out there is only one small
      modification of the baseplate necessary. You can see it here (probably
      have to log in into Yahoogroups):

      the black marking in the red circle I did to see where I had to file
      of the baseplate. This is to prevent the wire to scrap against the
      baseplate which would lead to unnecessary friction. In another picture
      of my album you can see what can be seen from the top (except that I
      used a to thin piece of plywood for the test, and thus the screws came
      through on the top, and I didn't cut the leverwire because it was only
      a test). But on a real layout the trackbed would be stronger.

      To hide the MTL turn out switch machine boxes by covering with ballast
      won't work, sine they are much to big and especially to high for that.
      This might work for the Maerklin turn outs, but not for the MTLs.

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
        > switch machine boxes for the remote turnouts from Micro-trains by
        > covering them with ballast. If you have any other suggestions, that
        > would be very helpful indeed.

        If you use stall type motors (Tortoise etc) then the throw shouldn't
        matter. For small layouts don't however overlook the wonders of wire in
        tube or straight mechanical linkages.

        Alan
      • dipugee
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

          > Hello Dipu' Personal (?),
          >

          > > under-the-table switch machines.
          >
          > I didn't use those from Atlas or Peco, but a cheap one from Conrad
          > (German Radio Shack?) for a test of this some time ago.
          >
          > Basically it is easier to convert the MTL turn outs then the Maerklin
          > ones. Less work on delicate parts to do. Besides drilling a hole into
          > the small tab at the side of the turn out there is only one small
          > modification of the baseplate necessary. You can see it here (probably
          > have to log in into Yahoogroups):

          > the black marking in the red circle I did to see where I had to file
          > of the baseplate. This is to prevent the wire to scrap against the
          > baseplate which would lead to unnecessary friction. In another picture
          > of my album you can see what can be seen from the top (except that I
          > used a to thin piece of plywood for the test, and thus the screws came
          > through on the top, and I didn't cut the leverwire because it was only
          > a test). But on a real layout the trackbed would be stronger.
          >
          > To hide the MTL turn out switch machine boxes by covering with ballast
          > won't work, sine they are much to big and especially to high for that.
          > This might work for the Maerklin turn outs, but not for the MTLs.
          >

          > --
          > GreetingZ
          > Uwe

          Thanks Uwe. I am assuming you started with the manual turnouts from Micro Train? Also,
          I have a bigger picture question. I am trying to model in both N-and Z gauges, primarily
          Austrian and German settings (My wife is from the Linz area of Austria). Do you think I
          could mix both the N & Z-gauges on the same layout, with Z mimicking metre gauge?
          Have you seen any plans like that? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

          With my best.

          Dipu'

          (San Jose, CA)
        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
            Hello Dipu',

            > I am assuming you started with the manual turnouts from Micro Train?

            you're right, I did this test when the remote turn outs weren't
            available. But I got two sets (one left, one right) of the remote turn
            outs later, and then I saw that I wouldn't use those in any visible
            area of a layout. The Maerklin turn outs could relatively easy
            camouflaged with some paint, but the turn out drive from MTL just is
            to bulky...

            On my current layout in work I still use Maerklin track, because when I
            started, and still now some in my opinion important track sections are
            missing. I'm sure that this is just a question of time, and there is a
            way to make customized length pieces from MTL tracks.

            > I am trying to model in both N-and Z gauges, primarily Austrian and
            > German settings (My wife is from the Linz area of Austria). Do you
            > think I could mix both the N & Z-gauges on the same layout, with Z
            > mimicking metre gauge?

            I don't believe that taking a Z loco or car and pretending that it is
            a metre gauge train would work. The only thing that is right on this
            is that in N scale metre gauge train use 6.5mm tracks which is the
            standard gauge in Z scale.

            On the other hand there is some rolling stock in Zm, only it isn't
            that low in price. There is FR in Germany:

            http://www.fr-model.de/index.php?lang=en&what=products

            more abotu Zm you also can find here:

            http://www.zettzeit.ch/Download.html

            it is the Zm-Info, unfortunately in German.

            then there is the Julierbahn from Jens Wimmel which has a small Zm
            portion in one part:

            http://www.zettzeit.ch/Julierbahn.html

            also on his website (which is a great pool of information and links
            anyway...) is this article about a place where standard an metre gauge
            meets in Switzerland:

            http://www.zettzeit.ch/Stallinger_1.html

            it's an interesting place with tracks that have three rails for both
            gauges.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2008
              Has anyone experimented with a magnetic throw ? Those magnets must be there for some reason !
              John

              It has removed 2370 spam emails to date.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
                Try this site
                _http://www.newrailmodels.com/Products/Accessories/BluePoint/BluePoint.htm_
                (http://www.newrailmodels.com/Products/Accessories/BluePoint/BluePoint.htm) they make a below table manual switch unit that works fine with
                Z gauge. You have to cut back a bit of the material near the MTL slide switch
                and of course drill a small hole. I found the wire they supplied not tough
                enough and had to fins an alternative, but the principle is fine.

                Bob Fage (in the UK)